Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st Complete Image with New EQ5--Lots of Problems

Sounds like my approach....some things are seen as "wrong" in the community, but they work for me.... :D 

Like using an EQ2 mount for imaging (although using a decent mount these days makes it so much easier).

And as for autoguiding........well yeah, I pretend I have never heard of it.

John

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I am the same. I have nothing against autoguiding and I do not have it either but my motivation is that I want to learn and get the best I can out of my equipment before I go that route for me it takes the fun out of it.

Im currently trying EQMOD to control the scope as it may help with my issues. I have yet to try it in practice as im in Italy where there is all the snow. 

DSS only clips the data if you move the clip square slider, if all you move is the triangles all you do is stretch - if you apply the stretch and load it into pixinsight or startools they have a real hard time interpreting it as they are expecting linear data.  

With DSS I find the best approach is select the slider triangle with your mouse but then move it one jog at a time with your arrow keys - you'll see the histogram radically change when its in the right place from a single tall peak to real histogram data - then move the rgb levels around to get it the right colour then save it changes applied and edit it in your flavour of editing software.

I'd add I get the best results by far using DSS for stack and stretch and then gimp for levels/black point, sharpening etc... I never got anything useable at all from startools, pixinsight looks promising but will have to wait for retirement to get enough time to understand its capabilities fully - so about another 20 years time - I got equivalent results from pixinsight after about a week of learning it, going through tutorials online and reprocessing data - from which would take me 2-3 minutes of using DSS/Gimp.

Archived