stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

Skyportal or SkyFi3 wifi scope control - user experience survey

I am hoping that people will post here to report their experiences with these wifi scope control devices. What are you using them with? Which mount? Which software do you use, SkyPortal or SkySafari or something else? What hardware do you run the software on, i.e. what device and what version - e.g. iPad Air with 16MB. Finally, how do you find the performance? Do you experience lag, loss of connection, crashes?

If we get enough responses, this might provide answers to some questions such as:

Is the latest SkyPortal dongle any different to the original Skyq Link? Does the latest one perform any better?

What are the best partnering/host devices? Android, iPad, iPhone.

Do newer host devices with more powerful processors perform better than older devices?

Personally, I have been using a Celestron Skyq link on and off for a couple of years. When I first got it, there was a partnering Skyq app from Celestron that was pretty poor. Then the SkyPortal app came along, together with support in SkySafari, which improved things a lot. To answer my own questions, this is my setup:

Original Skyq link dongle

SkySafari 5

Original iPad with 16GB

Celestron AVX mount with Starsense

And this is my experience to date:

The software is robust, it always connects to the mount and recognises the Starsense camera and aligns quickly and accurately. Goto works well. But trying to control the scope using the virtual buttons on the touch screen of the iPad is very frustrating. There is a lot of lag between touching one of the buttons and the scope moving. This lag varies seemingly at random. Sometimes it moves almost immediately, sometimes after a long pause, sometimes it just never responds. Then the amount that the scope moves doesn't really relate to how long you touched the button for. Some nights the lag will be manageable, other nights it can be bad enough to be pretty much unusable. For me this is the main issue I have with using the dongle vs the handset. Last night I was trying to frame the Orion Nebula, and it took about 15 mins (and even then it wasn't exactly how I wanted it). I would much prefer using SkySafari to control the mount over using the hand controller, but the lag is so frustrating that usually I use the hand controller. I would be prepared to invest in a newer version of the wifi dongle, of the SkyFi 3, or a more up to date iPad, or an Android device, if I knew that this would solve the issues.

So, please post your own experiences here. Hopefully it will help people make a more informed purchasing decision, or allow people to upgrade with some degree of confidence that it will pay off.

SkySafari 5 pro on iPad Air 2 64Gb

usimg SkyFi  (the one with the USB port)

connected via rs-232 to Meade Lx-90

All features of SkySafari work great in this setup.  No connection issues and the performance is good.

Have tried WifiScope instead of the SkyFi.  Currently the Ascom driver for the Lx-90 does not allow the skewing buttons to work properly in SkySafari.   Also not sure if the date and location information is sent to the scope.  (Both happens on the SkyFi)

On my LX-90, yes.  The skyfi plugs into the serial port that is on the hand controller.  The serial control can be used at the same time as the hand controller is used normally.  The rule is not to do something silly like start a slew, then try to do something with the handbox - although, the hand box won't like that happy anyway.

17 hours ago, Max N said:

That's great input, thanks.

Am I right in thinking you can still use the buttons on the hand controller when using SkyFi?

You can also use the HC directional buttons in SkyPortal or SkySafari when using Celestron WiFi.

8 hours ago, cjdawson said:

On my LX-90, yes.  The skyfi plugs into the serial port that is on the hand controller.  The serial control can be used at the same time as the hand controller is used normally.  The rule is not to do something silly like start a slew, then try to do something with the handbox - although, the hand box won't like that happy anyway.

Skyfi is looking like a good option, thanks

10 minutes ago, noah4x4 said:

You can also use the HC directional buttons in SkyPortal or SkySafari when using Celestron WiFi.

You're right, I'd forgotten about that, I'll give that a try next time out.

Do you have SkyPortal?

How do you find it?

Skysafari 5 Plus is much better than the free SkyPortal APP.

The Plus version is worth the £9.99 investment. But you probably don't need the Pro version.  Plus offers 2.5M stars and 31,000 DSO's.  Unless you invest in a seriously big scope and set up in Death Valley or Galloway, you probably don't need 'Pro's, 25M stars down to 18th magnitude.

On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 22:36, Max N said:

Sorry, I meant do you have the SkyPortal dongle - but I see from your signature you have the Evolution. Do you have any problems with the wifi?

Yes I did, but now I don't.  

The Gen2 version has an improved antenna, but the Gen1 Evolution that I have did suffer from reputed WiFi woes caused by "WiFi Clutter". Initially I had such problems, then after three months I discovered other undocumented causes... 

In my Android tablet I found a hidden "battery saving" APP. This nuisance was turning off SkySafari (or SkyPortal)  after n minutes of inactivity. I deleted it and things improved.

I then discovered in SkySafari that if the <read out>  rate is set too high that too can cause WiFi  drop outs. By read out rate I mean the number of times per second that data is sought by the APP. I lowered that and things further improved.

Celestron also updated the firmware for the Evolution mount, also for Nexstar HC + and Starsense during 2016. Other stuff like 'forgetting' your home WiFi assists. I also have a WiFi only tablet so I don't get interferance from local 'hot spots'. I don't think using cell 'phones will be quite as reliable as they are constantly seeking a connection. Direct Access Mode is arguably the solution then.

I have progressively eliminated these issues and conclude that whilst the early Gen1 Evolution's did have some potential problems due to the weak antenna most reported incidents probably had a far more material software or local environment cause (as described). New Gen2 Evolution's now seem fine but they now retail at £1,799. I bought mine (Gen1) for merely  £1,585 in April 2016, so I am content with suffering its rare WiFi lapse! 

One bonus of my initial experience was it forced me to learn how to properly use the HC. Those that skip that and immediately pick up a tablet tend not to gain the experience of what is in the HC 'menu tree'.  Then when something goes wrong, or they want to be more ambitious  (such as astrophotography using a wedge), they don't have the same awareness of primary set up parameters as it's like skipping a chapter in a book if one has become dependent on automated inputs from a tablet. A second bonus is that the search for solutions meant I discovered SGL and Cloudy Nights. I hence flew through the enormous learning curve and now have a level of competence that I would not have if dependent on a tablet. I love WiFi and Tablet,  but don't skip learning HC skills.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I'll try some of your suggestions next time out. I'm using iPad but I'll look for the equivalent battery saving APP!

I'll check the read out rate in SkySafari. Also will make sure the firmware is up to date on everything. I'll also forget the home wifi.

One thing I found helped was to make sure nothing else was running on the iPad. I usually power it down completely then power back up and only start SkySafari. But this might only be an issue because my iPad is very old and has a puny processor.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ade Turner
      I’ve been using my 8’ Edge HD on an Evolution mount for a couple of years now and I added a wedge to it a few months back. Using SkyPortal with StarSense I’ve never really had any major issues getting it aligned. 

Last night I was setting up to photograph Mars and went through my normal procedure. StarSense took its images but, after confirming success with the third plate, instead of just winding up a bit and parking it proceeded to pitch the ota towards the north well below the horizon.

Fortunately nothing snagged. I skipped the ASPA and instructed it to goto Mars and was surprised to find it was spot on (better than usual actually).

Anyone any ideas why it took that nose dive? Thanks.

• By Arshad Wali Muhammad
      Hi. I have Celestron CPC 1100 EdgeHD with Starsense and WiFi Module. During the alignment process, WiFi module stops responding, whereas my tablet or iPhone is connected to the WiFi module,  the SkyPortal message pops up that connection is failed and scope isn’t responding? Can anyone help me how t fix this urgently ? It was working fine yesterday but now I can see this message. I though it’s a power issue, so I disconnected the power tank and connected the scope directly to the electricity through supplied adapter, but failed. 

• By AaronL
      Hi all,
      I have been lucky enough to have been purchased an 8SE for my birthday. Shameful to admit but this was 2 years ago and my competence has not increased much. Partly because I don't get a lot of time to play!
      Every now and then, I take the scope out in earnest for some star based escapism. The trouble is, my lack of scope skills means that I dont escape very far!
      I have never got on with the hand control of the 8SE. I have watched a lot of videos and read the instructions and the three star align process fails me most times. I read a post on here about making sure that the two 'index' stickers are aligned when attaching the OTA, which I have done. 
      I have done what I can to make sure that the settings are all correct, including time, location etc. 
      To overcome these frustrations, I purchased the WiFi attachment to be used with the SkyPortal app. 
      This configuration has been a lot more successful! I manage to align the scope using three stars each and every time - progress at last! I have slewed to the ring nebula, hit Andromeda without any problems. I'm finally getting to enjoy the cosmos! 
      However, all is not perfect. I slew to Andromeda, have a 5 minute gander at it and then use the 'best tonight' database to slew to something else. This is where it goes wrong. The scope slews to the earth. The on-screen scope location cross also shows it to be pointing at the earth, yet I told the scope to go to Vega. It tried to slew 360 and I had to stop it before the eyepiece smashed into the aux cable. Why would the scope do this? Handset software out of date? Scope set up incorrectly? 
      If this sounds like a classic dumb dumb error, please let me know. I'm starting to think my scope is faulty and my lack of experience means I have no way of telling.
      Thanks to any helpful tips in advance.
      Aaron
    • By Craig Shaw
      I have searched SGL for a tutorial incase this has been covered so forgive me if it has. I've also searched the web in general and couldn't find a full tutorial to do this, so i have collated a couple of tutorials that make it work.

I have managed to get SkySafari to work with a £32 ish Raspberry Pi3 and the cable that came with my scope with a usb to serial converter - the same things you need for connecting to a PC. It allows me to control the scope using the SkySafari Plus app on my tablet or phone AND it creates a wifi hotspot on the Raspberry Pi so it doesnt have to be on a network to work. This also turns the pi into a natty mini wireless router which is handy if you travel since it gives you a private wireless network when plugged into hotel wired internet ?
      ***STANDARD DISCLAIMER***
      I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY OCCUR  TO YOUR HARDWARE BY FOLLOWING THIS POST OR ANYTHING LINKED TO THIS POST

It takes about 30 mins to do the tinkering, make sure you use the latest LITE version of raspbian.
      You need:
      Raspberry Pi 3 Portable power to it (preferably) Raspbian Lite Image file Appropriate cables to connect your Telescope to it via USB Computer connected to network Network cable to connect Raspberry Pi for initial setup A GoTo / Push To etc telescope mount compatible with SkySafari Plus / Pro A nice case for the Raspberry Pi
      You need to know a little about accessing the Raspberry Pi by SSH.
      For windows, use Win32 Disk Imager to burn the latest Raspbian LITE image to a micro sd card. Open the card on the pc (called boot) and make a blank file on it called 'ssh' - no file extension. This enables ssh access automatically.
      Stick it in your Pi and plug it into your network router and a power source.
      Find its ip address - i log into my router by typing its ip address into a web browser and look at connected devices, there are other methods though.

I use a program called Putty to ssh.

There are many tutorials on how to do the above and it isnt as hard as it first seems.

I used 2 tutorials to do this and i will link to them directly as the original authors explain it better than me. The first one is muuuch longer than the second which is just 3 steps so bare with it.

***NOTE***
      When the first tutorial suggests a reboot after the upgrade, DO IT! Then ssh back into the Pi and continue.

Don't bother rebooting after tutorial 1 either.
      Tutorial 1 - Turn Raspberry Pi into a portable wifi hotspot

See 'CONNECTING' after doing step 2 in the next tutorial to actually connect to the scope as what you have just done changes it a bit.

Tutorial 2 - Make it talk to SkySafari App and the 'Scope

You can now unplug the pi from your router. Plug your USB to serial adapter into the pi, your telescope cable into that and connect it to your scope as you would do with a pc (mine is into the AutoStar hand box) and use it as a stand alone adapter just like the £200 SkyFi adapter!

CONNECTING:
      To connect SkySafari to the pi you simply connect your tablet or phone to the pi's network like you would any other wifi network, i called mine Scope, connect using the security key / password you made up in tutorial 1. Open SkySafari and follow step 3 in the second tutorial but with IP address 192.168.0.10 - the port is still 4000 (unless you changed it)

If you are at home and your cable is long enough to reach your router you can plug the pi into that and use your home internet too - which you cant do with the SkyFi adapter!
      I am going to shorten my serial cable to make it a neater package, i can always solder new plus to make an extension if i ever need one.

I am also working on finding out how to make it share usb internet so a 4g dongle can be plugged into it when out and about since when you connect to the pi's wifi in the field you will not have internet on the device connected to it.
      Also the Pi could possibly be used for imaging or tracking, someone on here will probably know more on this.
    • By Giant
      As we all have experienced, in the Direct Connect mode, the Wifi coverage between the Skyportal Wifi Module (or SkyQ or Evolution Mount) to the iPad, iPhone,or Android phone/tablet running Skyportal or Skysafari is not very good, especially in heavy Wifi environments. You can't go very far (<20 feet) from the mount with your mobile device. Also, if you are around others using their mounts via Wifi, they can accidentally take control of your mount. To get around this, others have used Access Point mode to connect to their home networks which is fine if you are at home. I needed a way to control my scope from inside the car (or shelter) when out in the field sitting in front of a monitor/laptop using an imager attached to the scope. My solution was using my Verizon phone as a Mobile Hotspot which allows me to move over 100 feet from the mount and access the internet at the same time from my mobile device (iPad running Skysafari 5 Plus). Your phone's Mobile Hotspot acts like an Access Point. I use the Skyportal Wifi Module with my SLT mount and I also have an Evolution 8. Here is how to use your cellphone as a hotspot and control the mount. Instructions are with Skysafari but is basically the same with Skyportal.
      1.) You must have a Cellphone plan that allows you to use your phone as a Mobile Hotspot. Your phone settings for Mobile Hotspot will allow you to enter a SSID and Password. Do this and activate the phone's hotspot. Keep it near the mount.
      2.) Start with the switch on the Skyportal Wifi Module or the Evolution mount in Direct Connect mode and turn on your mount. Go into your iPad or Android mobile device's Wifi settings and connect to SkyQLink-xx or Celestron-xx .
      3.) Start up Skysafari, choose Settings (Gear icon)>Setup (In the Telescope section)>Communication>Configure Access Point ("Use Direct Connect" needs to be checked).
      4.) Choose OFF or WPA (doesn't seem to matter with Verizon Mobile Hotspot). Enter the SSID and Passphrase (password) of your phone's Mobile Hotspot). "DHCP Client" should be enabled so that your phone can provide the IP address.
      5.) Tap on "Send Configuration to Wifi Module". This will upload the parameters you just set to the Wifi Module of the mount. A confirmation will pop up saying it was successful.
      6.) Go back one screen and choose (check) "Use Access Point".
      7.) Exit out of Settings
      8.) Turn off the mount and slide the switch on the Skyportal Wifi Module or the Evolution mount to the Access Point position.
      9.) Turn on the mount. The mount will connect to your phone's Mobile Hotspot (I was able to see it connect in my phone's hotspot settings and it was called "Connected Device"). If not, make sure the SSID and Passphrase were entered exactly correct.
      10.) Connect your mobile device (ipad, Android, etc) to your phone's Mobile Hotspot. Now both your mobile device and the Mount is connected to your phone's Mobile Hotspot. It's as if you were both connected to your home's Access Point.
      11.) In Skysafari or Skyportal, tap Connect. As long as the phone is near the mount, you can now control the scope from your mobile device as usual from a greater distance and surf the web.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.