SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Claiming great pictures to be their own

Peco4321

I'm pretty 100% sure it doesn't happen on SGL, but I'm sure other astronomy forums of the "face" type, are full of members posting pictures and claiming they are their own work. I really don't see the point as any picture has it's merits and is a way of learning from other more experienced members. 

We all like to get praise for our efforts but for me, I don't do it for that. I get enough pleasure that I don't need the praise and while I'm still learning this hobby I 'need' the advice. 

I recently saw a picture of the moon claiming to be from the same set up as mine and it's so much better by a million miles, it almost looked like one from a member of SGL that posts amazing images. 

I guess it's impossible to police. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the image I question is possible with a Skywatcher 150. What do you think. I may be totally wrong and if so I can use this as inspiration to improve ?and would apologise for suggesting it wasn't their own. Not that I have done that yet on the other site, no point really. 

IMG_1567.PNG

I think that image is probably do-able with that setup.

I recall an amusing incident on this forum a few years back, where someone posted a picture which he claimed was an acrylic painting he'd done of the Orion Nebula. However, it was so obviously a stock photo made to look like a painting in Photoshop. Pathetic, really! He was soon found out. 

Seems like a pointless pursuit to me. The passing other's hard work off as your own. Not, the policing of these scoundrels.

Fortunatally, the vast majority on SGL don't view stargazing as a competitive sport.

I guess that the acid test is to enquire as to how the great results are obtained, and if they don't share a helpful tip or two, then start to smell a rat. There was a great thread a week or two ago about showing single subs. This might be of help?

Paul

It's really sad when people do this - There was an SGL member last year who joined and posted an image of what he'd taken..... It kind of looked familiar and a few questions later about his kit, how come it ended up in the format he used etc...... he 'fessed up and admitted it was mine and that he'd posted it as his own image.

12 minutes ago, reddoss said:

Here is an image I took with an ED80 and an astro-modified Canon 450D from my back garden near the centre of Cardiff, and yes it's a single sub.:wink:

Hubble bubble toil and trouble! you  must get at why the ED80 is producing those diffraction spikes.

Regards Andrew

Some of my favorites taken by me are the early ones where getting any result was a big thing, I still couldn't compete with some images posted on here but I dont have too, my goal is simply to get the best unguided captures I can from close to a city center.

Alan

P.S. I think I could just about do that lunar with my 90 mm Mak :icon_biggrin:

If anyone wanted to pass off my images as their own I'd be quite flattered! 

As to the OPs suspect image of the moon, what 'skywatcher 150' are we talking about? Newt, mak or frac? That looks like something done with a 150 msk under good seeing.  Also any info on where it was taken and with what camera? All have an impact and are relevant.

Maybe you could search astrobin for lunar images taken with your setup to see what's in your realm of achievability. 

36 minutes ago, reddoss said:

Here is an image I took with an ED80 and an astro-modified Canon 450D from my back garden near the centre of Cardiff, and yes it's a single sub.:wink:

0502-Pillars-of-Creation.jpg

Looks like the black point is clipped, it's over sharpened and the background is very noisy, I think you should do better with your setup and a bit of practice :grin:

Maybe leave Cardiff LP and try Brecon

Dave

That Pillars of Creation image looks like a Hubble Space Telescope image to me.  That sort of resolution could not be obtained from a terrestrial based telescope I'm pretty sure.

Well this was taken with an iPhone, single shot hand held at the eyepiece so I'm sure some one competent using stacked images from a reasonable camera could achieve the image posted with a 150p.

IMG_1193.JPG

I don't really do lunar/planetary, but as an example, this was taken with a Skywatcher 150p Newtonian and a QHY5 guide camera. I can't remember if I used a Barlow or not.  Seeing conditions and colimation play a huge role in what you can capture. I was also drunk off my face... I suspect that helped! :D 

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well this was taken with an iPhone, single shot hand held at the eyepiece so I'm sure some one competent using stacked images from a reasonable camera could achieve the image posted with a 150p.

IMG_1193.JPG

Wow. Much better than all the effort of video clips and PIPP and Registax etc that I have to do. Good job I didn't go accusing him ?  

Anyway, interesting discussion all the same. 

Archived