Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which 10x50

johnfosteruk

A follow up from a recent thread elsewhere. 

I've secured funding from SWMBO.  Assuming all is in good order with any purchase I make and that I am capable of dealing with the simple things like collimation, I'm happy to put some money towards some second hand 10x50s (an upgrade from current binoculars)

I will of course where possible be looking to view them first. 

So, what am I best looking to spend about £150 on? Assuming something second hand will give me something superior to the Pentax sp which are one of Steve's best buys. 

I've some ideas but I'd like to hear from those wiser than myself. 

Thanks all. 

I was very very very close to pulling the pin on a pair of opticron Imagics.... until I got a pair bought for Christmas... these jumped out at me everything I looked in to the subject.. might be worth a read up.. I believe the 8x40 variety, Steve T has rated very well!

Let us know what you choose!

Ta

Fozzie 

For around £150 new you have the Pentax SP/WP, the iMagics, and perhaps  the Nikon Action Extreme, all of which are well considered and each will have its own particular character.   Second hand for similar money you  have the UO BA8 series like the  Williams Optics 10x50EDs, Helios Apollos, Orion Resolux , Oberwerk Ultra etc  and these are a cut above.   To get something distinctly better you will I think need to jump to something like the Lunts: https://www.thebinocularshop.com/lunt-50mm-magnesium-binoculars.html

I doubt whether, second hand, they would be anywhere near £150. Even older Fujinons will hold their price I think.

I have just sold my WO 10x50EDs for a little less than £150.  For various reasons to do with me rather than the binocular, I was not getting on with them anymore which was a shame because they are good. I replaced them with the iMagic 10x40.  I have to say my initial reaction was one of being slightly disappointed and was thinking of sending them back. Steve at FLO must have thought I have thought I had lost the plot! They felt lightweight and small(er) in my hands and did not have the bright snappy instant wow that perhaps I was expecting, but I was comparing them to the WOs. Of course they felt lighter, of course they were not as bright, I was being slightly ridiculous! Last night I was out with iMagics under crisp clear skies and I have to say I was very impressed and very pleased I had bought them. They are very comfortable to use with good eye relied, good focusing, and nice sharp contrasty views with good colour too. The iMagics  may not be all that WOs are optically, but they are not half bad either. Apologies for the mini-review but just thought to make the point that £150 can buy you a good useful binocular. I also have the Pentax 20x60s, so doubt whether you would be disappointed with the SP 10x50s either. The Nikons have plenty of fans too (see CN forum) where you will find a definite Pentax vs Nikon debate. Hope this hasn't made choosing more difficult!

Thanks Alfian. Hasn't made it more difficult at all rather confirmed what I'm thinking myself and actually given some clarity ref the Nikons as I only stumbled across them recently and haven't read much about them. 

What's the edge of field sharpness like on the iMagic?

Hi John, the iMagics are not edge to edge sharp, they do fall off noticeably but its only at the very edge. The 10x42s are given as 5.56 degrees, which is relatively narrow compared to some of that size, but observing the Hyades last night the iMagics encompassed them nicely with a margin still sharp (to my eye anyway) that would make it somewhere around 5 degrees before it goes off, thats almost 90% which is not so bad and tallies  well with Steve Tonkins review of the 8x42. The interesting thing is that the outer edge I found less noticeable than that of the Williams Optics which despite their quality really do fall of a cliff at the edge. Now thats still not at all bad given the WOs have a fov of 6.3 degrees which leaves a usably nice sharp field wider than that of the Opticrons.

The Pentaxs do have this reputation of a narrow fov but that the field is pretty sharp almost to the very edge. (The 20x60s are the same,  only 2.2 degrees but what a 2.2 degree field that is!) The Opticron iMagic 10x50 have a slightly narrower fov than the 10x42s but its my guess they will have similar characteristics. The Nikons Action Extremes have a much wider field of view ,over 6.5 degrees, but the usably sharp fov is much less and I think it works out slightly less than the Pentaxs, but some people like that broader fov even if it does fall off. Its depends on what you prefer. I enjoyed the wide field of the WOs thinking that 5 degrees for a 10x50 seemed narrow but I have to say the 5.5 degrees of the Opticron 10x42s is pleasing enough! We live and learn. (hopefully)

FLO don't stock the Nikons but sell both the Pentaxs and Opticrons. If you opted for one and didn't get on with it I'm sure they would exchange them for another. Incidentally the 10x50 iMagics are cheaper than the 10x42s beacuse  they are on offer. I opted for the latter choosing a bino with a smaller exit pupil, which works for me.

5 hours ago, Alfian said:

To get something distinctly better you will I think need to jump to something like the Lunts: https://www.thebinocularshop.com/lunt-50mm-magnesium-binoculars.html

Or the new ED version for not much more (449 euros currently but prices seem to chop and change a heck of a lot)

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/binoculars/binoculars-50mm-aperture/lunt-engineering-10-x-50-magnesium-series-binoculars

I'm actually having a bit of an eBay binge now bidding small amounts and forgetting on some older pieces. 

Anybody know anything about 'Master Mariner'?

theres a 10x50, seller has a receipt from when purchased new in 1975 for £28

cant find anything online on Master Mariner as a brand and I'm intrigued. 

Archived