SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

California Reprocess

gnomus

I was never entirely happy with my California Nebula, the data for which was captured at Olly's place in November https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/281108-red-state-california-nebula/#comment-3087529.  I have been reading Mr Keller's PI book and that, and a few comments on here, led me to rethink things somewhat.  Firstly, as is suggested by Mr Keller, it may sometimes be beneficial to DBE the colour channels separately.  Secondly, I decided to uber-stretch a clone so that I could get an idea of where the dust is.  I could then place individual DBE points in areas where I was pretty sure that I had no background dust or nebulosity.  After I combined the RGB data there was already (to my eyes at least) a significant improvement.  So I decided to press on.  Finally, I was struck by what Mr Keller had to say about 'leaving it grey' (I am probably paraphrasing).  In any event, I carried out a significantly less aggressive stretch compared to my previous processing.  When it came time to add in the Ha and OIII I scurried back to Photoshop because I still haven't got my head around the PI method as yet.  The less aggressive stretches made further processing much simpler.  I was also to get more 'texture' in the nebula - previous efforts had led to a red washout.  I know I have not brought out all of the information in my data.  Nevertheless, I think this is a more relaxing effort.  Of course, others may disagree and I invite comment and criticism.....         

Lum  7.5 hours

RGB 9 hours total

Ha 11 hours total

OIII 7.5 hours

0A_Califx1400.jpg

Just now, Davey-T said:

Beautiful image Steve and as Gav says excellent stars, just taking some O111 subs of it ATM but need to decamp to somewhere darker for RGB.

Dave

We found the OIII to be fairly unimpressive.  I don't know why.  Barry Wilson did this recently and seemed to get a reasonable chunk of OIII.  I know that Barry has 5nm Astrodons whereas Olly has the 8.5nm Baader.  Maybe that was it, because we gathered a good few hours of it.

4 minutes ago, gnomus said:

We found the OIII to be fairly unimpressive.  I don't know why.  Barry Wilson did this recently and seemed to get a reasonable chunk of OIII.  I know that Barry has 5nm Astrodons whereas Olly has the 8.5nm Baader.  Maybe that was it, because we gathered a good few hours of it.

Using 5nm Astrodon ATM still pondering on whether 3nm O111 will make a difference, got about 10 hours of 30min O111 subs so far and should get another 5 tonight before it goes behind a tree will then do a quick process to see how it's going.

Dave

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement.  

59 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Hi Steve, 

Just wondering if you considered taking any S11 of the CN, just taken  one and there looks to be a lot more S11 than O111.

Dave

I am sure you are right Dave.  However, I have lost count of the number of hours already spent on this one.  I wouldn't be surprised if I had 50+ 'final' versions in various parts of my hard drive.  I think for the sake of my sanity I need to give California a break for a couple of years at least.  

First time I've had a go at it for many years and been inspired by yours and Gavs efforts and a superb image by Kfir Simon in January AN.

Not expecting miracles but have gathered 10hrs HA 3nm, 8hrs O111 and just started on S11 so will persevere while it's well placed, i've got so many unfinished projects that I must try to finish one :grin:

Dave

43 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

First time I've had a go at it for many years and been inspired by yours and Gavs efforts and a superb image by Kfir Simon in January AN.

Not expecting miracles but have gathered 10hrs HA 3nm, 8hrs O111 and just started on S11 so will persevere while it's well placed, i've got so many unfinished projects that I must try to finish one :grin:

Dave

You should have a look too at Barry Wilson's recent image - a classy effort.

I am reluctant to tinker given the favourable responses.  However, I went back and was able to bring in a bit more of the Ha and OIII signal, without, I hope, losing any of the texture in the main nebula:

05_Calif_SCNRx1400.jpg

Archived