Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

When a New Family comes to visit... (teaser)

BinocularSky

Isn't it nice to have classy, well-behaved visitors? Permit me to introduce (part of) the family Helios Lightquest, which arrived today courtesy of @FLO/The BinocularShop:

LightquestFamily.JPG

The visiting members are (back to front) 25x100, 20x80, 16x70, 10x50.

I imagine that what a lot of people will want to know is: "Are these simply re-badged and re-liveried Lunt Magnesiums?" The short answer is, "No, I don't think so but, on a cursory inspection, they do ooze a similar 'premium binocular' class." For any more than that, you'll have to wait until I've put them through their paces.

However, if there is any aspect of them that you would like covered that I don't usually put in my independent (as distinct from Sky@Night) reviews, please do ask, and I will consider it. Until then, wish me clear dark skies and watch this space... :icon_biggrin:

Its probably the grumpy old man syndrome but these days I tend towards the camp that its very nice to have family visit  but I  then heave a bit of a guilty sigh when I wave them goodbye. However that rather likable looking family can come and visit me anytime and stay as long as they like.Is it possible to adopt a family? I will eagerly look forward the reviews Steve and hope there is an abundance of clear skies soon.

22 hours ago, HN50 said:

Do the eyepieces look as deeply recessed as in an existing BA8?

No. On the 50mm and 70mm, they look pretty similar to the Lunt magnesiums (the 80 and 100 have different eyepieces, as indicated in the image above), which are recessed only 3mm (so 17mm of the advertised 20mm eye relief is available). I will confirm this after I actually test them.

• 2 weeks later...

On 20/01/2017 at 17:04, BinocularSky said:

I imagine that what a lot of people will want to know is: "Are these simply re-badged and re-liveried Lunt Magnesiums?" The short answer is, "No, I don't think so

Shame about the cloudy weather of late but looking forward to reading how they compare to the Lunts/ Opticron WP Observations :happy9:.  

On 22/01/2017 at 14:24, BinocularSky said:

On the 50mm and 70mm, they look pretty similar to the Lunt magnesiums (the 80 and 100 have different eyepieces, as indicated in the image above)

I believe the 70mm Lunt's have larger than average oculars (21.5mm approx for the lens portion) and generous exit pupil, which is useful for those with narrow IPD.  Are the Lightquest 16x70 eyecup/ lenses the same in that respect?

On 03/02/2017 at 15:13, SpaceBass said:

I believe the 70mm Lunt's have larger than average oculars (21.5mm approx for the lens portion) and generous exit pupil, which is useful for those with narrow IPD.  Are the Lightquest 16x70 eyecup/ lenses the same in that respect?

As far as I can tell by looking through them, they areas near as dammit identical.

Archived