Narrowband

The importance of quality glass...

As a rookie stargazer, and someone that has replied heavily on this website and it's very, very helpful members, I want to take a moment to reiterate what I've been told on here over and over again....

If you're a new night sky enthusiast, I can't stress enough the difference that a quality eyepiece makes when viewing objects through the scope. 

If you're going to spend time outside (especially during the cold winter months), then get the most out of that time.  INVEST IN GOOD, QUALITY EYEPIECES.  The difference is substantial and well worth the extra paper. 

So thank you for all the members that pushed that notion on me, and hopefully my testimony will influence someone else to pull the trigger on a better price of glass for their scope!

jon

Learning what works for you initially is more important than rushing out and spending a wad of cash on "quality" eyepieces. Use what comes with your scope. Maybe then invest in middle price range and see if you get along with them. Learning what works for you only comes with experience.

Dont forget, quality doesnt have to mean expensive. The best EP's i have used,bought are Vixen NPL's and they retail for between 40-50 quid.

If you buy something and you dont get along with it, there are plenty of people willing to buy it from you at almost retail price, so you dont lose out really.

P.S.~if you MUST rush out to spend the wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket, only buy what you can realistically afford.

A lot does depend on what you mean by quality glass.

There are some really cheap EPs (which may not even be glass) that should be melted down and used to fill up a Black Hole. So avoid these in the first place, or upgrade as soon as possibly.

Then there are some very nice lumps of exotic glass which will set you back several hundred pounds apiece. These are great, and sometimes necessary - for example to get the most out of large aperture fast telescopes. But in general, I wouldn't recommend the expense for someone starting out.

Then there is a very wide middle ground - with new prices starting around 25 pounds for some very acceptable Plossls going up to about 100 pounds with EPs such as the Explore Scientific 68° and 82° lines.

Add to this, the possibility of buying second-hand! You can build up a very nice collection of quality EPs for a lot less money than many people think - and, what's more, have a lot of fun in the process :icon_biggrin:.

It seems that perhaps my comments are suggesting that one needs to spend a lot of money for better eyepieces. 

To be clear, I never said that, nor did I intend for it to be taken that way.  

Im simply letting people new to the hobby know that an upgrade over what comes with their telescope will typically provide better viewing. I've read that hundreds of times, and found it to be very true myself. 

And by "quality", I'm implying whatever provides the user with a viewing experience they're happy with. Quality is the opinion of the viewer, but I feel that most people notice a difference in better images upon upgrading their eyepieces. 

Jon

Archived