SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Need to buy some eyepieces

Iain L

I've bought a Bresser NT 150s scope. It's OTA and there are no eyepieces with it. The scope is 150/750 f/5. I'm looking at buying 2 eyepieces now and add to them at a later date. So far I have found 9mm & 20mm GSO plossl, 10mm vixen plossl and 10mm & 20mm Bresser plossl. Will any of these be any good or should I be looking at something else?

I have found a Barlow x2 to be a handy addition to my EP's.

It depends a bit on what you want to see and how close but to have a nice combination is never a bad thing. Therefore I would pick between 6mm and 15mm so you can do:

Without Barlow : 125x and 50x

With Barlow: 250x and 100x

You shouldnt go above 300x with that scope so there is room for improvement still.

5 hours ago, Iain L said:

I've bought a Bresser NT 150s scope. It's OTA and there are no eyepieces with it. The scope is 150/750 f/5. I'm looking at buying 2 eyepieces now and add to them at a later date. So far I have found 9mm & 20mm GSO plossl, 10mm vixen plossl and 10mm & 20mm Bresser plossl. Will any of these be any good or should I be looking at something else?

Those should make for a good start.  You could also look into the BST Explorer ED line if you need more eye relief at 9mm to 10mm and below for not a lot more money.

Hello and welcome to SGL

The BST starguider/explorer do seem to be a popular upgrade from stock eyepieces. They have around 60d fov and good eyerelief.

Another couple to consider are the Vixen NPL , these have a fov of around 50d , but optically are very sharp and a great eyepiece for around £45

There is also the Baader classic Ortho , a fov of around 50d and eyerelief a bit on the tight side, but optically superb. These took over from the great BGO and are around £50. Orthos are great for optical quality 

The ultimate upgrade from stock eyepieces to get you on the road to a set of quality eyepieces of around 50d IMO. Are the televues plossl. New these are expensive, but regularly come on the market second hand for around the £50, to £60 mark. Great build quality and great optics and best of all they are designed and tested to f/4 mark , that means they will be future proof also if a very fast scope is purchased at some date down the line

The above IMO are probably some of the best "upgrade" eyepieces from the stock eyepieces on the market at sensible money.

I hope this helps☺

11 hours ago, Timebandit said:

The ultimate upgrade from stock eyepieces to get you on the road to a set of quality eyepieces of around 50d IMO. Are the televues plossl. New these are expensive, but regularly come on the market second hand for around the £50, to £60 mark. Great build quality and great optics and best of all they are designed and tested to f/4 mark , that means they will be future proof also if a very fast scope is purchased at some date down the line

But they are still tight on eye relief at 11mm and 8mm, and they don't go any shorter than 8mm, either.

Archived