Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

morayskies

EQMOD randomly stops tracking

Hi All

I have been using my 'best' laptop with Windows 8.1 to control an EQ5 Pro mount via a USB/Serial converter with a lead directly to the hand controller set to PC Direct Mode.  On the same laptop I have installed PHD2 for guiding and BackyardEOS for image capture and a gampepad for ease of 'tweaking' the telescope pointing. I have also installed Cartes du Ciel (CdC) to find and slew to targets.  This system has worked flawlessly (other than 'idiot induced' problems) for a number of months now.  I was lucky enough to be given another, slightly older, laptop to use so I thought the 'best' laptop could stay in the office and the older laptop could now become the astro imaging laptop.  As far as I can see, I have everything configured the same and, on first trials in daylight, everything seemed to be working OK.  Could connect to the mount OK, control via gampad OK, PHD2 connected OK etc etc.

First 'imaging in anger' night seemed to going well until I noticed that the star trails suddenly appeared to be streaked after successfully capturing a few previous images.  PHD2 was still connected but the guide star was way off target (the little green square in PHD) and appeared to be drifting as I watched.  CdC (the planetarium software I use) was still connected but the rectangle indicating the camera's field of view was also drifting off target.  On looking at the EQMOD window I noticed that tracking was 'off'. "Another idiot induced problem?" I thought.  Selected Sidereal Tracking in EQMOD and I heard the motors of the mount start 'whirring' again.  Selected target in CdC and slewed the 'scope back to the target.  Selected guide star again in PHD and guiding started OK (I could hear the motor 'tones' changing  as they received correction signals from PHD.  Back on track - so I thought!  After a short while, the problem occurred again - Sidereal tracking was shown as being turned off in EQMOD.

These are only differences between the successful setup and the rogue version;

Working System 2.4ghz processor, Windows 8.1
Failing system 2.2ghz processor, Windows 7

Has anyone else had this problem?  Any suggestions as to what could be causing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Richard

**Update**

I have taken PHD and CdC out of the equation by connecting to the mount via the EQASCOM Toolbox.  With PHD and CdC not running and the gamepad turned off the mount tracked for about 10 minutes before the Sidereal Tracking 'switched off' again.  Without doing anything to the setup, I tried slewing the 'scope using the direction arrows in EQMOD and these worked fine so the mount is still communicating with the laptop and EQMOD.

It seems to me that the problem could be with EQMOD 

or could it be Windows 7 :-(

Edited by morayskies

1 hour ago, Uplooker said:

Are there any "Limits" set within EQMod?

Not that I am aware of.  I didn't set anything to do with 'limits' in EQMOD on either laptop.

20 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Are there any "Limits" set within EQMod?

Hi Ian

Must apologise.  I have found the "Mount Limits" check box to be ticked and, since unticking, seems to be tracking OK.

In the words of Homer Simpson - "Doh!" :confused2:

• Like 1

Hi sorry, only seen your reply(s).

Glad you got it sorted. If that is the biggest "Homer" moment you have in astronomy you are doing very, very well ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Hi sorry, only seen your reply(s).

Glad you got it sorted. If that is the biggest "Homer" moment you have in astronomy you are doing very, very well ?

Had 3 or so hours of success last night.  'Scope tracked well, tracking and guiding didn't fail at all and only had to stop when camera battery died.  First attempt at M42 with this setup :-)

Well pleased.

m42_120s_50percent.tif

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By morayskies
      Hi All
      Has anybody else had this problem?
      I use a single, ageing laptop (HP620 8Gb RAM) running Windows 7 Pro 64bit to control my imaging setup using the following software;
      Cartes du Ciel and EQMOD to control EQ5 Pro mount via EQDIRECT cable connected via powered USB Hub
      BackyardEOS to capture images from Canon 450D via same USB powered hub
      PHD2 for guiding using GP-CAM 130C and EQMOD pulse guiding
      What confuses me is that some evenings everything works absolutely fine.  Another evening, using exactly the same hardware, software and even connections (ie I always plug the leads into the same ports) the system will be working fine but then suddenly fail.  The failure affects EQMOD indicating a timeout or port not available issue and the Canon 450D also 'locks' requiring a restart of the camera and BackyardEOS.
      I have run USBTree during such a failure and it is showing that the EQDIRECT cable (ie serial converter) is still connected to COM4 (which is correct) and the Canon 450D is also still connected.  I basically have to ensure that all the software is closed and any associated services also stopped.  Of course, the scope is now pointing away from its home position so I have to move it manually back to 'home' before starting again.
      My thoughts are that there could be a number of issues;
      1. Use of a USB hub
      2. A dodgy EQDIRECT cable
      3. USB cables too long (ie about 5m)
      4. Windows is turning off a connection (I have set the power management for each USB port to 'off')
      5. Canon 450D somehow 'freezing'

When using this laptop, I turn off the Wifi and Anti Virus and Automatic Updates are also off.
      It just baffles me that sometimes this system works flawlessly for hours and yet other nights it keeps failing.
      Any suggestions gratefully received.
      Thanks for looking.
    • By Demonperformer
      I am at a complete loss to understand why eqmod was not syncing on CdC last night. I have had a look at this video, I had the star centred on the screen [3m33s], I pressed sync on CdC, I got the dialog box [3m39s], I clicked 'yes' and NOTHING happened: the white circle stayed where it was, no sync points were added to EQMOD, zilch!
      I can get round most problems, but this really one stymies my GOTOs and, therefore, my imaging process.
      I have been unable to find anything in the EQMOD documentation that deals with such an error and a search on here has turned up no help (but that always depends on the words put into the search!). I checked all the obvious things (location, date/time, etc - but why any of these should stop sync working is beyond me). It's all running on Windoze 10.
      Any suggestions on why this should have stopped working and (more importantly) how I might get it working?
      Thanks.
    • By ScopeDog
      Hi
      Just tried out my new (to me) Canon 6D Mk1 at Galloway Star Party and discovered that my Windows 7, 64bit laptop doesn't see the camera when I try to connect it by USB, so I can't control it with BackyardEOS.
      I've checked the device manager and it just doesn't come up when connected and switched on plus I've tried different USB ports. However, I don't have the same problem when I do the same with my Canon EOS 450D using the same cable with the same laptop.
      Am I missing something important here? Pretty frustrating given it's the first time I've been out under a sky that good in a long time
      Thanks in advance,
      Tom
    • By Demonperformer
      Setting up all the software on my win10 laptop and getting things to talk to one another is a nightmare.
      I'm starting a new thread, so I can post all the problems I am having, one at a time, so issues don't get confused. This will also hopefully help anyone coming to similar situations later, as the problems and answers will not be interlaced.
      First issue: APT does not detect ZWO camera.
      I have got the camera (ZWO) drivers installed and sharpcap can see it and will connect to it properly. However, when I try to connect the camera in APT, the only CCD options it gives me are SBIG (which it isn't), QSI (which it isn't) and ASCOM. Now it shouldn't need to use an ascom driver, because the proper driver is installed, but I give it a go anyway, and this just offers me 2 simulators and 3 QHY cameras (I have one qhy driver installed for the guidecam .... I'll get to that later!). I have disconnected both the filterwheel and guide camera from the camera hub, so they cannot be interefering with the process.
      I am at a total loss ... any suggestions?
      Thanks.
    • By RolandKol
      Hi guys,
      I been googling a lot and was not able to find a solution how to connect EQMOD to the Mount via SW Wifi Dongle...
      it looks like EQMOD needs COM Port to be used....
      I do remember there was some kind of "Virtual Com port bridge to Wifi"app back in Win98 days... But I cannot find anything similar for Win10.
      I want to test EQMOD auto-guiding via WIFI, - I know, it's not reliable, but I want to try
      as I have Skywatcher wifi dongle and my USB to Serial (RS-232) Converter Cable is wayyyy too short to keep my PC (and me) in warm.
      I am able to connect with SynScanPro app to Wifi Dongle and even sync it with Stellarium nicely... 
      Only Auto-guiding missing...
      Any ideas?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.