Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie in need of advice

Hi!

Got to have my first proper play with my scope tonight, found the Moon (c'mon, it's an obvious first choice!) and I think Jupiter (to the south, it was the brightest star 10oclock to the moon at about 9pm from where I am in the UK) and a few others, but I've got two questions. Is it normal for all bright objects I view to look like it's coming through a prism (each had a different set of rainbow colours, so I'm hoping it is!)? Also, I could never get a truely sharp focus. Each object looked like a multicoloured comet, with a white/yellow head, and a slight tail of various colours depending on the object. Is this my inexperience in focusing, or is my equipment slightly lacking?

Thanks for your help!

Phil

P.S. I also saw several satellites pass through my field of view, which was pretty cool! :hello2:

the scope probably isn't one you're familiar with...it's a Prinz Optics Model 330 bought by my Grandad when MY Dad was a kid!

The only other markings I can find on it is a label saying 'D=60mm F=710mm' which I'm guessing is the diameter and focal length? But it's in damn good condition, still got it's original box and parts, only the protective sleeves for the eyepieces have been lost to the annuls of time! I have no idea about how the optics are faring, but it all seemed to be working nicely tonight!

I was using the 15mm eyepiece to locate objects and 25mm to get closer.

As for the atmospherics, what sort of elevation would I have to be viewing for that to start to lessen? even some objects that were at about 70deg (aka my scope was pointing roughly 70deg from horizontal, is that the correct way of explaining it? :? ) were suffering from the aformentioned 'comet' appearance.

Thanks for your help LB!

Phil...

Have never heard off that make before but it seems pretty old.

Btw you use the 25mm to locate and the 15mm to obtain a larger image.

You say you cannot reach full focus, try positioning your eyepieces at different positions within the focuser, this sometimes works.

it also sounds like your telescope collimation might be a tad off.

My oh my, A prinz 330, I had one of those when I was in my early teens (late 60's). They were marketed by Dixons and cost the prinzly (Rubbish pun) sum of £23 which was a small fortune for my mum and dad at the time. Saw jupiter and saturn for the first time through that, wish I still had it.

John

I still have mine bought in 1974 - its coatings are in a poor state, but don't like throw it away.

The eyepieces being 0.965 inch are a bit of a pain but it did give me the first view of the planets and brighter DSOs. It is possible to get an adapter to fit 1.25 inch EPs with your scope.

Jupiter is badly placed for a good view especially if the atmosphere is a bit turbulent. Try another night you might find the view better. I'm afraid that the colour fringing on objects is due is the poor quality of the objective lens.

I don't think it is possible to collimate the objective lens of your scope. Best way to check if there is a problem is to look at a bright star when out of focus - it it does not look like round blob then the optics are out of alignment.

I don't mind pulling out the optics of my scope to check if any adjustment can be made should yours prove to have a problem.

Mike

Only reflector scopes which have a secondary mirror will give a donut effect as the light is blocked at the centre by the mirror. In a refractor the star should be a disc of concentric circles.

Here is a website that might be useful for testing the scope - http://www.spacealberta.com/equipment/refractor/startest.htm

Don't worry about my scope it is not that important to me - it lives in the shed and is never used.

Mike

Archived