Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

PESKYWAABBIT

Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space - A historical band some of you may be interested in

Hey Guys,

I have been a fan of the band called 'Public Service Broadcasting' for a long time now, since their first album in fact and just wondered if would be a band some of you may enjoy. They do not use live microphone vocals but instead use a variety of older audio and video clips from history to create beautiful songs with a real feel of nostalgia. They mainly focus on big events in history such as the war, invention of colour TV's, stereo sound and cars. I saw them live at the Norwich OPEN last year and they were definitely one of the best bands I've ever seen, personally. Their stage was supported by the Sputnik satellite which flew above the band members during the performance. I hope you can take a small amount of your time to just check their music out a second, if you haven't already before. :headbang:

20160212_224400(0).jpg

Their most recent album, 'The Race For Space' may be something of interest as they create music inspired by the space race back from the 60's. Definitely up my alley, so maybe it will be up yours too!

81Y8SVzQGzL._SL1400_.jpg

Here are a few of their songs that I personally find incredible:

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Phillips6549
      The Knowle Astronomical Society is holding a
      PUBLIC STARGAZING & BEGINNERS EVENING
      On  Monday 7th October 2019 at 8pm at
      Dorridge Village Hall, Grange Road, B93 8QA
      If the weather isn't favourable (what are the chances?) we will set up a few 'scopes in the hall to show people and we will also be giving a beginners talk in the hall and, who knows,  maybe we'll recruit a few new members.  Light refreshments will be available throughout the evening.

• By knobby
      Just spent 4 hours resurrecting my AVX mount, it had become so stuff in RA it just wouldn't track at all. Googled as much as I could find and used the http://rocketsparrow.blogspot.com/2017/01/how-i-made-better-celestron-avx.html?m=1 as a guide.
      Decided to use a bearing as discussed in thread. I chose the https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p503131/32007-Premier-Budget-Metric-Single-Row-Taper-Roller-Bearing-35x62x18mm/product_info.html?backstep=1 as the dimensions were perfect ( almost perfect, bearing is 2mm too thick but works fine)
      Cleaned all the gungy grease off and used thin layers of superlube.
      It's so much smoother now and I can actually balance the mount.
      Only problems I had were the 2 bolts that hold the RA and Dec assembly together stripped the mount ! Soft cast ally by the looks of it but there are 4 holes for 2 bolts (almost like Skywatcher knew 😂) and refitting the motor worm assembly is tedious to get backlash adjusted .
      Can't wait to try it out.
      Ps the new bearing wouldn't quite fit til I put the mount in the oven @ 80 degrees and the bearing in the freezer for 5 minutes.
    • By Stu Todd
      Hello fellow astronomers,
      Proudly announcing the southern hemispheres NZ  astronomy main event opening every Sunday from 7.30 pm, from the 7th April.
      We welcome visitors and can accommodate you in our beautiful, dark, southern town.

Please contact dunedin.astronomy@gmail.com 

Kia Ora! 

p.s This is Dunedin, New Zealand, not Dunedin, FL!

• By Cam1988
      Hi all, 
      First post on here looking for some telescope buying advise. I've searched and seen some similar topics which have been very useful but thought i'd summarise and see what the experts think.
      I'm looking at getting myself and my girlfriend a telescope as an anniversary gift. She's not scientifically minded at all but she really likes the aesthetic of the moon. The house is filled with 3D printed moon lamps, jewelry, cushion covers etc.. We're about to move into a new house in Forest Hill in SE London and the new house has a really large garden backing onto more gardens so quite sheltered from all street lights. We both said to eachother a telescope might be a nice thing to have in the new house and something we can enjoy together in the new garden. 
      I've got a budget of up to £200 but by no means want to spend that much if I'm paying for features we don't need or will use. 
      I've got some experience with a reflector scope that was my brothers. He got it years ago and we both obsessed over it for about a month and then once we'd seen the big planets and a few blurry distant clusters we got bored and it never got touched again. That was a 130mm DIA reflector (skywatcher I think). After the initial excitement, my overriding feeling towards it was it was not worth the faff! This was in dark Northumberland as well, not London. 
      I've tried to explain this to my girlfriend when we've talked about it and said if we don't want the faff we might have to invest in a Go to electric telescope. The logic being if its quicker and easier to see stuff, we'll use it more. I did get then quite excited reading reviews and trying to find second-hand goto scopes and it seems like something in my budget (or slightly pushed budget) is something like a Celestron SLT 127. (have seen second hand ones go for £250).
      However having then done a bit of reading on here I think i've worked out that those cheaper Go-to's are still not that quick and simple to use, ultimately i'm I'm still only going to see fairly blurry planets and smudges of deep space clusters. I honestly don't think the girlfriend will be impressed and I'll probably get bored after a while too.  
      So I think I've come to the conclusion that I want to get a much smaller refractor that would be much more accessible for viewing the moon and would allow us to see a smudgy Saturn and Jupiter on clear nights. A smartphone camera holder would be a bonus too as it adds a simple feature that would keep us entertained for longer. 
      Do you think that's a fair approach or am I being a little too pessimistic about what I'm going to see? If so then what scopes could anyone recommend? Stepping down to a slightly lower budget there are so many more options and it's a bit bewildering. 
      Thanks
    • By alexbb
      Recently I opened my AZ-EQ5 mount for adjusting and greasing.
      I did not find any complete tutorial for this nor worm or bearings dimensions. I plan to replace some of those if I have the chance.
      Meanwhile, I will add some pics of the disassembly process.
      Open the plastic top case. Please excuse the USB hub attached, I did not remove that.

Pull out the cable connectors. Put the top case with the controller board aside.

The bolt inside the green circle can help you remembering or adjusting the belt tension. Loosen down the RA motor screws. Remove the belt. Unscrew the bolts. Remove the motor.

The bolts inside the green circles can help you remember and adjust the worm distance to the RA main gear. Remove the bolts holding the worm case.

Parts: RA main gear, worm case.

Remove the screws holding the encoder board. You get access to the nut holding the worm in place. Remove this too.

Remove the bolts inside the driving gear attached to the worm. Sorry, not the best pic.

You can now proceed to push out the worm and the bearings. No pics for this, sorry.
      The bearings are 688Z, 16mm outer diameter, 8mm inner diameter, 5mm width.
      Worm dimensions measured with the caliper: 69mm, 36mm.

Hope someone finds this useful.
      I'd be interested if the worm is identical to the ones used in the HEQ5.
      Clear skies!
      Alex

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.