Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just took the bad boys out

iPeace

It's cold and mostly clear tonight. As I wasn't prepared for a full-on observing session, it was grab-and-go time with the bins.

tmp_11333-DSC_0261-1214811301.JPG

Almost a year into this business, it's very rewarding to realize how much easier it is to locate targets. I remember having to meticulously star-hop in order to find the usual suspects. Now, I'm ticking them off at leisure, zipping around the constellations for quick visits with old friends.

I'm sure it's practice and experience, but I can't help but feel that hand-held binoculars are so much easier to use than even the most compact of telescopes and that seems to be the biggest factor in making a session productive. It's true that they don't give you the same views as a good scope and they have a fixed magnification, but for sheer fun they can't be beat.

And yes, the image stabilization feature does really make it so much more enjoyable for me.

Pleiades, Hyades, Orion's belt and the Nebula,  Perseus, Andromeda Galaxy, Double Cluster, Owl Cluster, all right there. M35 was easy to find at Castor's back foot, and M37, M36 and M38 in Auriga were point-and-shoot. And Cancer, hardly visible at all for me without optics, was exactly where it should be, jealousy guarding the Praesepe of M44.

All very rewarding. And then you step back inside, drop the bins in the bag, hang up your coat and Robert is your mother's brother.

:happy11:

Fabulous bins, I will buy another pair at some point.

From a dark site it is amazing what you can see. I got M1 some years back in my 15x50is' which I have no hope of in a scope from home.

As you say, very relaxing to be able to skip around the sky, and so easy to find things!

Have you got M81 and M82 in them yet?

If you are looking for a budget solution to stabilize your bins, have a look at this:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-equipment/image-stabilize-your-binoculars/

I've built this rectangular frame (size 1,5m x 0,25m) three years ago, and use it regularly with my 10x50 Zeiss Jenoptem. Easy and cheap to build (mostly from scrap, took an afternoon+painting), and it really works! You gain 0,75 mag, and to me, it gives you more freedom of movement compared to a tripod.

Stephan

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 23:22, iPeace said:

It's cold and mostly clear tonight. As I wasn't prepared for a full-on observing session, it was grab-and-go time with the bins.

tmp_11333-DSC_0261-1214811301.JPG

Almost a year into this business, it's very rewarding to realize how much easier it is to locate targets. I remember having to meticulously star-hop in order to find the usual suspects. Now, I'm ticking them off at leisure, zipping around the constellations for quick visits with old friends.

I'm sure it's practice and experience, but I can't help but feel that hand-held binoculars are so much easier to use than even the most compact of telescopes and that seems to be the biggest factor in making a session productive. It's true that they don't give you the same views as a good scope and they have a fixed magnification, but for sheer fun they can't be beat.

And yes, the image stabilization feature does really make it so much more enjoyable for me.

Pleiades, Hyades, Orion's belt and the Nebula,  Perseus, Andromeda Galaxy, Double Cluster, Owl Cluster, all right there. M35 was easy to find at Castor's back foot, and M37, M36 and M38 in Auriga were point-and-shoot. And Cancer, hardly visible at all for me without optics, was exactly where it should be, jealousy guarding the Praesepe of M44.

All very rewarding. And then you step back inside, drop the bins in the bag, hang up your coat and Robert is your mother's brother.

:happy11:

nice...i just got some 20x80 Orion. Blown away ain't the word...neck hurts alot!

Instasize(10).jpg

I've been looking at rain and clouds for so long, I was beginning to think Seattle moved South. And I was growing webs between me toes.

Anybody sez Drought around me gets mud thrown at them. :evil4:

Finally, we have some clear skies again. And I'm loving it!

I'm mostly One-Eye, but have some 10-50's. But for a quick look around, the pair are fine. Beats the rig-a-ma-role. :D

Archived