Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flaming Star + Tadpoles in Hydrogen Alpha

Ikonnikov

Imaged with the usual gear (Tak E130D, G3-16200 and chroma Ha 3nm, PI for processing) over four nights but still only 9x30 min due to Yorkshire cloud. A mixture of average and very ropey seeing and a bit of moon thrown in on a few of the subs so not quite so crisp as some of my previous attempts with this kit. Not sure I've rung all I can out of this with the processing but was getting to the point where I found it hard not to blow out the brighter regions of nebula (including the tadpoles).

Have avoided the (dreaded?) HDR wavelets so far but might be tempted to blend some into this version (especially if I can get the noise down with some more subs). As ever C and C's welcome!

Paul

integration2_decon_allproc_more curves_starred cropped.jpg

Vey nice. I put your version next to my 1st NB Ha image of the same target from a couple of weeks ago, something I'm practising on a lot at the moment.

It's interesting for me to see that I'm not that far behind with where I am! I'm happy with that.

I've used a Baader 7nm filter vs your 3nm and the difference is clear to see in the number of stars.

You've also used a longer FL scope and bigger chip and 30 min subs vs my 10 min subs, so it's nice I think to see a side by side.

I have a lot more to learn, onwards and upwards!

(Sorry for the enthusiasm overload!)

IC405 comparison.png

IC410 comparison.png

31 minutes ago, Jonk said:

Vey nice. I put your version next to my 1st NB Ha image of the same target from a couple of weeks ago, something I'm practising on a lot at the moment.

It's interesting for me to see that I'm not that far behind with where I am! I'm happy with that.

I've used a Baader 7nm filter vs your 3nm and the difference is clear to see in the number of stars.

You've also used a longer FL scope and bigger chip and 30 min subs vs my 10 min subs, so it's nice I think to see a side by side.

I have a lot more to learn, onwards and upwards!

(Sorry for the enthusiasm overload!)

IC405 comparison.png

IC410 comparison.png

No worries, enthusiasm is good! Looking at the two side by side makes me think I might need to bring my black point in a bit more... An excellent attempt for your first NB/Ha image!

I have used some star reduction on my image in PI (and a strong dose of deconvolution) so this goes some way to explaining the reduced size/prominence of the stars in addition to the 3nm filter.

If you can get your guiding good enough it would definitely be beneficial to up your sub length to 20 min or more with your KAF8300 chip (similar noise levels to the 16200 in my camera). Shouldn't be too hard at this kind of image scale as long as you're confident of getting a good polar alignment. Only other thing is focus (can be a pain with Ha), looks like it could be a tiny bit out (although that could just be the guiding issues increasing the star sizes slightly)?

Paul

5 hours ago, swag72 said:

This is looking very nice - Regardless of peoples' different processing and data, I think you can really appreciate the 3nm filter advantages.... A super job :)

Thanks Sara! Not decided whether to do some oiii or lrgb to go with it but at this rate it's going to be a decision for next winter!

On 18/01/2017 at 22:54, Ikonnikov said:

your guiding good enough it would definitely be beneficial to up your sub length to 20 min or more with your KAF8300 chip (similar noise levels to the 16200 in my camera). Shouldn't be too hard at this kind of image scale as long as you're confident of getting a good polar alignment. Only other thing is focus (can be a pain with Ha), looks like it could be a tiny bit out (although that could just be the guiding issues increasing the star sizes slightly)?

I have some tilit which I'm going to try and tune out tonight, I have the mount on a tripod as I'm waiting for a pier to arrive and I still need to tune the mount some more, as there's too much DEC backlash at the moment.

Hopefully, once these things are sorted out then yes, maybe I can push to 20 mins and may even invest in 3nm filters later on.

6 hours ago, Jonk said:

I have some tilit which I'm going to try and tune out tonight, I have the mount on a tripod as I'm waiting for a pier to arrive and I still need to tune the mount some more, as there's too much DEC backlash at the moment.

Hopefully, once these things are sorted out then yes, maybe I can push to 20 mins and may even invest in 3nm filters later on.

Good luck!

Archived