Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Whats your dream telescope

Gary170782

For me it would be a TEC 180mm Apo. Oil spaced fluorite triplet would be a dream ?

https://www.optcorp.com/tc-180800-180mm-f-7-apo-fluorite-refractor-telescope.html

Realistically I'd love it's baby sister the TEC140.....one day

http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AG-TEC140-35NC

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Assuming that the dream is achievable at some point in one's life, I believe my dream / lifetime telescope is a classic truss dobson 12"-12.5" F5.5-F6. This is transportable by just one person without much effort, shows only a very modest amount of coma, and allows me to observe by standing or on a step when pointing to the Zenith. I reckon my eyepiece set works very well with those specs.

I'm rather curious about the Teeter 12.5" F6 (with a 2.6" sec. mirror though)..

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:48, Putaendo Patrick said:

sir-william-herschels-telescope.jpg

One of the surviving telescopes made by Sir William Herschel would be fine for me.

I think this particular example was used by Caroline Herschel in Germany after her brother's death, and may (I'm not sure) have been the telescope which William used to identify Uranus in 1781 - but several other examples have been preserved.

William Herschel made some of the best telescopes of his day, which by all accounts could see more detail than others made by his contemporaries. This in turn meant he had to make telescopes for other astronomers so they could collaborate his findings - a somewhat more generous attitude than Galileo who saw other astronomers as rivals and tried to keep his telescopes out of their hands!

It took 26 years to acquire my dream scope, but your Country has the dream observing location. :wink:

Having one without the other sometimes makes about as much sense as having a surfboard and living in a desert. :sad:

PICT0041 (Medium).JPG

PICT0009 (Medium) (2).JPG

On 18/01/2017 at 22:52, mikeDnight said:

That's easy to answer:

A 12" (300mm Takahashi Fluorite Triplet!)

Of course I'd want a large Ash dome to house my Super Superlative Apo in, nicely situated in the grounds of my large country house.

Mike :blob3:

FET300-EM3700_400.jpg

You beat me to it!

A 50mm refractor...

... with a double stacked Ha etalon ;)

Of course I'd like bigger, but keeping it within reason!  For night time use I love my 15" dob.  My dream is better weather/seeing/less LP.

That is a hard question..  currently I'm happy with my current gear, looking forward to having a permanent setup... as far as dream scopes are concerned, it would be one with a massive aperture and be able to capture a various FL, all the way from wide angle "1df" up to high planetary close ups.

On 06/07/2017 at 13:30, michaelmorris said:

You beat me to it!

Sadly Michael I don't have the funds currently, nor do I have a big country house. I could perhaps sell my house, car, wife and kids, and then live in a tent, but the scope would need a carrying handle to sweeten the deal.

Less concerned about dream telescopes than dream dark skies. Quest for trips out this autumn is to step up a notch and get to places with 21.6 and beyond SMQ reading locations. In terms of telescope, if I had the funds, I would like to dabble with a David Lukehurst 16" or 18" dobsonian F4, Nichol Optics mirrors, Hilux coatings. The practicalities of my OOUK VX14 fit the bill though for my dark sky travel needs.

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

I just ordered my dream telescope, a 24" dob.

Well I guess its my dream telescope for now anyway- who knows what dream might appear down the road :grin:

Crikey Gerry, you kept that quiet!

That will be unbelievable under your skies! How long do you have to wait? Exciting!!!

It should be ready just after Christmas, I told them no rush. Same set up as the 15" - Astrosystems structure and an Ostahowski primary/secondary. I lucked out and got a 24" Pyrex blank for a VG price and I couldn't pass it up. Randy @ Astrosystems has already started the scope.

One of my goals has been Einsteins Cross but I'm not sure this scope will do it but it might get the lensed quasar in Uma for me with separation.

Yes, I'm excited Stu! The showcase objects like M101,M51 should be dazzling!

11 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I would love a 3 1/2 inch Questar as my ultimate scope but to be honest I think I already have my dream with the C90 MAK.

Alan

Good to see some one happy with what would be classed as a modest scope, judging by the performance of my 102 Maksutov, i understand why you like the 90mm.

My dream scope does not exist....it would be a 160mm Maksutov F8

14 hours ago, jetstream said:

I just ordered my dream telescope, a 24" dob.

Well I guess its my dream telescope for now anyway- who knows what dream might appear down the road :grin:

yup...you'll see me hitching a lift down Highway 24"....:wink:

14 hours ago, nightfisher said:

Good to see some one happy with what would be classed as a modest scope, judging by the performance of my 102 Maksutov, i understand why you like the 90mm.

My dream scope does not exist....it would be a 160mm Maksutov F8

I guess I am in a minority of preferring a small MAK over a Tak refractor or 20 inch dob, if I had the funds it would be a Questar every time but I will settle for mine for now.

Alan 

33 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I guess I am in a minority of preferring a small MAK over a Tak refractor or 20 inch dob, if I had the funds it would be a Questar every time but I will settle for mine for now.

Alan 

You should try the 102 skymax, mine has been a Revelation

Archived