SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bresser scopes

The scope is f/5, 150/750. So some plossls will be possibly at their limit. Could be worth asking how GSO plossl's work in f/5 scopes over in the Eyepiece section.

Not saying they will not but f/5 tends to be where things start to need a bit of confirmation of operation.

I would expect the Vixens to be OK at f/5 and likely down a bit faster, TV plossl's are rated to f/4. So even in the same "design" things vary a little.

As you say GSO and Revelation are the same, also Meade used GSO plossls with Meade branded on them, now since Bresser/Meade/ES/JOC are somewhat mixed I would half expect that the Bresser plossl was a GSO also. The world of eyepieces is somewhat convoluted.

I've started to look at some eye pieces for the scope. I only want 2 for now as I intend to add others at a later date, maybe a new one every month / other month. I was thinking of an 8-10mm plossl and 20-25mm plossl, then maybe next month when I get paid add a 15mm. Does this sound reasonable? I have seen a couple of GSO pieces on astroboot and was thinking of those as a decent starter. 

I had that plan, bought 2 BST's (not 1) to determine that if I liked then then I would get one a month, liked them enough that I bought the other 4 in one go. No problems but the plan didn't actually go as expected.

Edited by ronin
  • Like 1

Most EPs will work with a focal ratio of f5 - but some will work better than others! You should get clear, sharp views in the centre of the field of view - but as you move out to the edge of the FOV things will begin to distort. More expensive EPs are corrected for this - but this is one of the reasons they're more expensive.

Another consideration is the field of view itself. Plossls have quite a narrow FOV - about 50°. Other designs can give much wider views - but again the cost goes up.

Another option to consider is a Barlow which increases the power of an EP by a factor, for example x2. It does this by increasing the apparent focal length of the scope - so an additional advantage is that it will reduce the focal ratio and be less demanding on the EPs. Cheap Barlows are usually a disaster, but from about 40 pounds upwards there are some good models.

Personally I might look at 18mm and 12mm eyepieces with a Barlow which would effectively add 9mm and 6mm to your range and provide magnifications of x41, x62, x83 and x125 which would cover a lot of situations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very quick update as it's a clear night so I intend to spend an hour or two getting used to the new scope. I have just been looking at the moon for the first time through the scope, and all I can say is wow! I had completely forgotten how much I loved astronomy in the past and this has brought it all back with a massive bang. I have taken 1 photo using the scope and a 20mm plossl with my phone so it can remind me why I have returned to this hobby on those cloudy nights.

IMG_0816.JPG

• Like 3

On 2/4/2017 at 11:36, Iain L said:

Very quick update as it's a clear night so I intend to spend an hour or two getting used to the new scope. I have just been looking at the moon for the first time through the scope, and all I can say is wow! I had completely forgotten how much I loved astronomy in the past and this has brought it all back with a massive bang. I have taken 1 photo using the scope and a 20mm plossl with my phone so it can remind me why I have returned to this hobby on those cloudy nights.

IMG_0816.JPG

Iain, that's a very if not extremely good afocal snap with a phone-camera.  Feel free to ramp the power up to 200x and beyond when observing the Moon.  I took this shot at almost 200x with my 150mm f/5...

082515-b&w.jpg

Congratulations on the new kit!

• Like 1

Thanks Alan, I'm looking forward to playing around and learning how to use the scope and eventually buy some more accessories. I have started to look at web cameras to get some better photo's, the pic of the moon has became my phone's screensaver.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
35 minutes ago, bgollo said:

Hi Ian,

If you decide to move to a bigger telescope and want to sell it please let me know I'm looking to buy a beginner reflection telescope like this one.

Thanks,

Bernardo

This is a three year old thread and the OP hasn't logged on since Jan 2018.

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/217-for-sale-swap/

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/218-wanted/