Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pentax SP 10x50mm WP Binoculars - Any Users

BargeGazer

It is time to replace my Telescope Express binoculars that I have never been terribly keen on and have now suffered from the eyecup perishing where it folds back on itself (in fact it looked cracked when I got it but I ignored it at the time - several years ago). I am looking quite favourably at the Pentax SP 10x50 Weather Proofed model. Does anyone have experience of these be it favourable or negative? Any other models I should consider?

Am I right thinking of sticking with 10x magnification or should I think lower. I use them to help locate objects or regions I want to look at with my telescope or to have near me in case there is ever a crack in the clouds.

Thanks

David

10 hours ago, BargeGazer said:

I use them to help locate objects or regions

I favour my Helios 8x40s for (Regions) wide area viewing  with over 8° field, their great for general observing whilst sitting back from the scope, and  sometimes even with scope aside me, under a pristine sky, the 8x40s are all I need!

Mounted their even better :happy9:

2 hours ago, BargeGazer said:

Thanks for comments. I am still chopping between 10x50 and 8x40 so I guess it will be a coin toss as both seem to be recommended in everything I have read. Probably based on what is readily available.

David

Both  these sizes should offer the same  image brightness to your eyes with their  5mm exit pupil.
It's said that the 10x provides more contrast between the target and sky, with some objects? due to the higher magnification, if your eyes can detect the difference, but your eyes should see a difference in the field of view between the two optics,  as quite often the lower powered optic will have a wider field of view, probably better eye-relief too. 
I compared some Strathspey 10x50's and  their 7x50's , keeping  the 10x50s, in favour of the wider field that my 8x40s offer.

Why not buy both! Though in many ways, I believe  8x40's have  more  benefits to the end user, over a tad more magnification with 10x.

Hi. Also got the 12 x 50 version.  Love em.  Best pair I have ever had. I am no expert tho, that's for sure.  Just commenting re build quality and ease of use.

Lens caps that come with them are a letdown.  This may have been addressed now.

HTH   John

If this is any help I have the Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II which I think is the previous version. If the new ones are anything like these you will not be disappointed. Lovely sharp views across a wide field with only a small amount of drop off near the edges. Very good light control as well. Great build quality and a focus lock which is genuinely useful. I use them mounted on a tripod. Lens caps fall off easily but it helps to glue some rubber strip on the inside edge. A lot of bins seem to be let down by lens caps or lack of them and flimsy bags. Rather pay another tenner and have some quality fittings.

I have other bins in smaller and larger sizes but just find 10x50 to be the right size with great performance.

+1 for the Pentax, whether 10x50 or 12x50. Both excellent, I personally would go for the slightly better contrast offered by the 12x50s but at the expense of a slightly narrower field. 

Either pair will delight you?..

Dave

I have the PCF 10x50 version and wholeheartedly recommend them for both day and night. They are very well built, but this does come at the price of a few extra ounces. I always hand hold, rather than mount at this size.

Paul

could be throwing a spanner in works here

what about the nikon action ex 12x50 bins ?

they are brighter with a larger image than my 8x60 cheapy lidl bins

also they have aspherical eyepices that are supposed to give crisp images to edge of view i recently got mine for just under £145 from amazon and really like them best bins ive owned

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/sport-optics/binoculars/action-ex/action-ex-12x50-cf

only the 7x35 and 12x50 have the aspherical eyepieces hth

Care needs to be taken comparing binoculars. The Pentax S/WPs are, as near as matters a full 50mm. I don't know about the TS 10x50s but the Hilkinson is almost certainly another incarnation of the United Optics BW7 (like the Strathspey 10x50 waterproof) which is reported to be stopped down to 45mm.

2 hours ago, Alfian said:

Care needs to be taken comparing binoculars. The Pentax S/WPs are, as near as matters a full 50mm. I don't know about the TS 10x50s but the Hilkinson is almost certainly another incarnation of the United Optics BW7 (like the Strathspey 10x50 waterproof) which is reported to be stopped down to 45mm.

Exactly. I'd strongly recommend Steve's site linked above, to have a good read and understanding of the advices there, the recommendations there in suitbable price range, so that we know it's orange to orange comparison.

5 hours ago, Alfian said:

Perhaps the source of those reports:

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/loava10x50.html

Thanks for all the comments. I opted for the pentax 10x50 and ordered from FLO. Despite their site anticipating a 7 to 10 day delivery they arrived the next day. Wow, Well done again FLO!

And yes, first light went well and as per any astro equipment the clouds immediately rolled in and haven't left since.

David

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 08:52, BargeGazer said:

Thanks for all the comments. I opted for the pentax 10x50 and ordered from FLO. Despite their site anticipating a 7 to 10 day delivery they arrived the next day. Wow, Well done again FLO!

And yes, first light went well and as per any astro equipment the clouds immediately rolled in and haven't left since.

David

Wise choice, I bought the same ones from FLO and I think they are great value for money - enjoy.

Archived