Narrowband

First view of the Orion Nebula, and other bits.

Daz69

Finally, the clouds cleared and using my new EP's I had my first view of the Orion Nebula. What a sight to see! I was well chuffed to see it, and spent about an hour gazing at it. I need to get a nebula filter one day that's for sure, but not sure what one to get, or are there several I should get? 

Don't laugh but I couldn't find the Andromeda galaxy, think it may have gone below my sight line due to trees.  Pleiades looked extra special tonight, for some reason that just reminds me of a black table cloth covered in diamonds, all sparkling away. 

Even thought I saw 2 white shooting stars closely shadowed by red and a green flashing ones, but lifted away and saw that a jumbo jet had flown through my view, lol :)  made me jump a bit too!

Did see a few real shooting stars, which was nice. The moon finally decided to show up, and spoil the Southern sky :(  And also managed to collimate my new (to me) Rigel finder on Betelgeuse. 

Hi Daz, fancy meeting you here! :p

I have a few papers for you. One is a general-but-in depth description of what M31 is and much more too! Here's this:

Messier 31 – The Andromeda Galaxy.pdf

And now a very simple method to help you 'bag-your-beast.' And away you go:

Use Pegasus to Find Andromeda Galaxy.pdf

I presume you've got and/or use Stellarium? If not, let us know, please, so we can send out the introduction and links. As with all else I introduce - completely free of charge for keeps! Stellarium is probably the greatest bargain in this galaxy.

We'll get you to Andromeda, of this I'm certain.

'Ta,

Dave

Nice report Daz. Planes certainly do make you jump when the fly through the field of view, especially if low during the day!

You might want to consider a UHC filter further down the line to help bring out the nebulosity in emission nebulae.

11 hours ago, rockystar said:

nice report, but I'm slightly disappointed that you didn't collimate your Rigel finder on Rigel ;)

If I knew where it was lol! Oh, it's in Orion isn't it? I think? :) Bottom right (without checking)? 

15 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Hi Daz, fancy meeting you here! :p

I have a few papers for you. One is a general-but-in depth description of what M31 is and much more too! Here's this:

Messier 31 – The Andromeda Galaxy.pdf

And now a very simple method to help you 'bag-your-beast.' And away you go:

Use Pegasus to Find Andromeda Galaxy.pdf

I presume you've got and/or use Stellarium? If not, let us know, please, so we can send out the introduction and links. As with all else I introduce - completely free of charge for keeps! Stellarium is probably the greatest bargain in this galaxy.

We'll get you to Andromeda, of this I'm certain.

'Ta,

Dave

hello Dave.

Thanks for the papers, very interesting to read that it is heading for us!

I believe that I was looking in the wrong place totally, but that's due to lack of experience. I'm worried that it states that it is visible with the naked eye and I couldn't see it :) 

M31 is very faint with the naked eye for me but once you find it a couple of times you can definitely notice more and more detail with the naked eye! It is an amazing sight to look at when you understand what it is you are looking at. Orion was my first nebula too and so far ive gone back to it every night since... I cannot get over how fascinating it is..

Good luck!

Chad

It will always be my "first" proper find from now on. I'd like to see some colour so I need a filter for sure. When I start imaging, this will be my first. 

1 hour ago, Chadnich13 said:

M31 is very faint with the naked eye for me but once you find it a couple of times you can definitely notice more and more detail with the naked eye! It is an amazing sight to look at when you understand what it is you are looking at. Orion was my first nebula too and so far ive gone back to it every night since... I cannot get over how fascinating it is..

Good luck!

Chad

When in sight, I too go to the Orion Nebula every night as my very first port of call.  If my first GoTo puts the four stars of the Trapezium smack bang in the middle of my eyepiece then I know that Starsense has aligned my scope perfectly for an evening of accuracy and joy. It's so recognizable, when many other celestial objects can sometimes deceive  (like M31). In Summer I switch to the Wild Duck Cluster.

Good read.

Orion was my first "out of solar system" view, such a treat! I got the Skywatcher UHC filter,  which I've been told is a good around filter for Nebula,  it's also not too pricey. It definitely made it stand out more to me.

14 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

Good read.

Orion was my first "out of solar system" view, such a treat! I got the Skywatcher UHC filter,  which I've been told is a good around filter for Nebula,  it's also not too pricey. It definitely made it stand out more to me.

Does it give you any colour, or does it just show the gas clouds better?

29 minutes ago, Daz69 said:

Does it give you any colour, or does it just show the gas clouds better?

To me the Nebula had a green tinge without the filter,  it was roughly the same with the filter,  I just saw more of the Nebula,  and I could start to make out the details in the structure of the gas clouds. I didn't get any more colors.

8 minutes ago, jjosefsen said:

To me the Nebula had a green tinge without the filter,  it was roughly the same with the filter,  I just saw more of the Nebula,  and I could start to make out the details in the structure of the gas clouds. I didn't get any more colors.

That sounds about right. I've seen a greenish hue to it in a 12" dob, and also in my 4" frac. Ironically it seems to show more colour if your conditions are a little light polluted locally. I think that the colour sensitive cones in your eye are then stimulated more so you see the geeen.

With a massive dob under very dark skies then I think other colours become visible such as pinkish or reddish hues.

Archived