Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If one more person

johnfosteruk

What really gets my goat is these people who not only call astronomy Astrology, but actually believe whole heartedly in the latter.

I can't believe that in this educated day and age people can still believe in this medieval tosh. 

Carole 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

PS I didnt have a monster enough magnet ! I think it needed an ex-WWII magnetron one :(

Something like the Eclipse "Major"?

You can get benchtop NMRs now

http://go.magritek.com/spinsolve-family-high-performance-nmr?utm_campaign=Spinsolve Family Adwords Offer&utm_source=ppc&gclid=CMuR6rPIzNECFZMy0wodaIUIqw

6 minutes ago, ajk said:

I'm in Pieces... can someone put me back together?

Tut Tut :happy8: was that a straight off the cuff response or did you planet :happy11:

I cant think of anything false about Mystic Meg & Russel Grant !!!! poor astrologists

17 minutes ago, carastro said:

What really gets my goat is these people who not only call astronomy Astrology, but actually believe whole heartedly in the latter.

I can't believe that in this educated day and age people can still believe in this medieval tosh. 

Carole 

From my other interests, there is far worse than astrology...  I don't mind if any individual chooses to believe, but I do draw the line when they try to influence (even brainwash), others that they are right - sadly the internet has given these charlatans an easy means to spread their nonsense, and to an all-too-willing audience.

johnfosteruk I wanted to go out observing, I think SilverAstro popped out earlier too.  The day looked set fair for a good evening here, it was a clear as a bell until about 3pm then a load of flat 'mackerel' clouds rolled in and you could scarcely see Venus let alone M42 which I had designs on.  If I look out of the window at the moment you wouldn't think there were any stars in existence :-(  Still I've had many smiles from this thread and its been fun 'getting to know' folks a little better with some spirited 'banter'.

9 minutes ago, JOC said:

If I look out of the window at the moment you wouldn't think there were any stars in existence 

There are plenty visible here for a change but the seeing was awful. 

10 minutes ago, JOC said:

its been fun 'getting to know' folks a little better with some spirited 'banter'

I do like a little bit of banter. :)

34 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

What fun :) Been out observing and missed all the fun.

You mean you snuk away without telling us that the clouds had parted ! Tsk tsk

11 minutes ago, JOC said:

I think SilverAstro popped out earlier too.  The day looked set fair for a good evening here, it was a clear as a bell until about 3pm then a load of flat 'mackerel' clouds rolled in

I did, , , popped back in to warm up a bit byheck it's nippy out there ! We had similar cloud/day here, so I was surprised when it cleared up and now there is good seeing,  the spirit is willing, shame about the flesh :(

Just now, SilverAstro said:

You mean you snuk away without telling us that the clouds had parted ! Tsk tsk

Yup, that's me, unreliable and selfish :tongue:

1 minute ago, SilverAstro said:

byheck it's nippy out there ! 

Quite mild here compared to recent days, even took me hat orf at one point.

2 hours ago, carastro said:

Carole 

That's my gripe with it all, I can't understand why in this day and age people still hold on to ideas that have absolutely no place in the modern world.

I've been known to point out to people like that modern things like smartphones, the internet etc etc are a direct result of evidence, reason, experiment and so on and that we can apply the same methodology on the wider scale of the universe and achieve the same results. Their eyes glaze over and they make that 'oh doesn't he go on' face. (The Present Mrs Foster has one of those too although she reserves it for special occasions)

So you actually think there are people out there who whole-heartedly believe in astrology?  I can honestly say I have never met anyone who has indicated to me that they do.  I tend to look upon astrology as a bit of fun, written to be broad enough to always find a way of being applied to someone's life if they think about long enough.  To give a starting chat up line if one is needed.  Of course its all tosh, yet I bet most folk know their zodiacal constellation of birth and possibly their Chinese animal.  They are just those bits of knowledge you seem to acquire.  In common with most people I actually fit the common traits normally associated with my star sign, but its all cleverly done so that everone can see the positive traits in their descriptions and associate themselves with said positive attribute.  It's human nature to find a way of applying good things to yourselve esp. if you are told you should demonstrate them.  I find the same with my Chinese star sign.  Its all cleverly done to work that way.  I am also sure that it was just the one chance in 12 that my ex. was the Chinese starsign said to be most incompatible with mine.  Those are good odds to win on, but folks never look at things like that.  No, I don't think  folks believe in horoscopes Surely they are just read for fun.

1 minute ago, JOC said:

So you actually think there are people out there who whole-heartedly believe in astrology?  

I do know a few people who although I wouldn't say whole-heartedly, do treat it as more than just a bit of fun. My last post wasn't just referring to 'ology though, but at risk of going off topic and breaching the rules I'll give a knowing wink and say no more. :) 

17 minutes ago, JOC said:

yet I bet most folk know their zodiacal constellation of birth and possibly their Chinese animal.

ah, oh dear I am sorry to be not in your 'most' ! No reason I suppose why you should believe me nor why I should wish you to, but :-

I have no idea what my birth zodiac is and I have no desire nor inclination to find out,,, Chinese what?! Totally of no consequence ! But given all my earlier typings this probably will not surprise you if you do believe me ! ? Have I just committed a tautology :)

> tall, nope:    dark, nope:    rich, 5th amendment:  handsome, nope:   stranger yep   :duckie:

It is really really cold out there, but still clear so I may get to see my long lost friend R CrB in a wee while.

My wife believes in astrology. We make an odd couple since I favour astronomy. But she doesn't read horoscopes or things like that, but she can attribute certain things in her life to the alignment of something or other. 

'The moon is in sagatarius' I think was her last quip that I noted. To be honest, I don't care. Whatever. We're truly all trying to make sense of our world and ourselves and if it helps someone to relinquish a bit of their locus of control to the universe the. I'm all for it.

Much better to live a life engrained in the stars and planets than something awful like addiction or abuse or green. I'm happy we both appreciate celestial bodies...in our own way. It's something we have in common, it doesn't drive a wedge between us. 

Archived