SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

If one more person

johnfosteruk

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Calls it astrology I'll poke 'em in the eye with something sharp.

But why does this stuff get to me?

Also, random passers by when I'm out observing asking 'Is there anybody up there?' with a chortle. Grrrr

What gets your goat people?

I'm totally with you on that score John. If there's one thing guaranteed to hit my 'BOG OFF' button,  it's being referred to as an astrologer or having questions thrown my way like 'what can I expect this year as an Aquarius'. My usual answer is 'That's nice'. For those of you who are fans of Mrs Brown that should make sense. 

If one more person complains about plebs getting confused with astrology , , , 

Sorry, couldnt resist :D  :D 

> 'Is there anybody up there?'  - Funny you should say that just now, I was watching the Ch4 tribute to Cernan, more moon landing shots, the desolation of it gets me every time and I think of Sagan " What a waste of space" :(  Same when I see pics of Mars surface.

I'm a live and let live sort of a chap. But sometimes I take the bait and have some fun.

"Astrology? Oh yes, that does look most amusing."

"You're Taurus and love horoscopes? Yes. I'm really good. I predict that you will be really offended in about 30 seconds time...."

"Oh, its you. No no we haven't met before. But, it was very clear that this would happen.... stay away from the edge. Dark forces. Dark forces."

Sorry. 

Paul

Just now, Alien 13 said:

I think people have to separate today's take on Astrology and go back to the Ancients or even Newtons time to see the advances in Astronomy that it gave us.

Alan

agreed, but i think my issue is that most of the people I'm talking about are talking about todays take on it with the stars column from the sun. I do my best to have a little fun with them and set 'em straight but it still annoys occasionally. 

2 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

agreed, but i think my issue is that most of the people I'm talking about are talking about todays take on it with the stars column from the sun. I do my best to have a little fun with them and set 'em straight but it still annoys occasionally. 

I concur, the use of the word Astrology is very different to its original origins and the examples you give are typical.

Alan

1 hour ago, johnfosteruk said:

Calls it astrology I'll poke 'em in the eye with something sharp.

But why does this stuff get to me?

Also, random passers by when I'm out observing asking 'Is there anybody up there?' with a chortle. Grrrr

What gets your goat people?

Rather than getting annoyed, offer them a look. often people say silly things from ignorance. Or perhaps you might be grateful that they took the time to acknowledge you instead of just ignoring you :D
As for astrology, yes it can be frustrating but hardly worth getting worked up about. Roll with the punches mate :D 

1 minute ago, Scott said:

Rather than getting annoyed, offer them a look. often people say silly things from ignorance. Or perhaps you might be grateful that they took the time to acknowledge you instead of just ignoring you :D
As for astrology, yes it can be frustrating but hardly worth getting worked up about. Roll with the punches mate :D 

I do generally and it's rewarded with genuine interest, just having a moan because of clouds, and also because I'm English :)

I think also it bothers me the general level of ignorance (and I don't mean that to offend) although the willingness to explore and curiosity is refreshing.

Anyhoo, back to moaning.

7 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Its a very important part of Astronomy, a lot of what we now know owes a great deal to the Greeks/Mayans/Egyptians and the lovely people around Stonehenge.

Alan

I'll grant you the Greeks and Egyptians,

but not sure about the Mayans and 'hengers, were'nt all their stuff lost to us and we only now discovering/figuring out what they knew/did ?

Archived