SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepieces

yes, they are a step up

as with all 'new and improved' kit though, you won't see anything in the new one that you cannot see in the old one. the view will just be enhanced slightly in terms of stars being slightly sharper, possibly less chromatic aberration or improved eye relief.

6 hours ago, Ruud said:

I have only one GSO eyepiece, the 32mm Plössl, and it is not bad at all. It works really well in my C70 mini mak. 

My most favourite EP was my 32mm GSO plossl. It was the real work horrse of my collection for scanning the skies. I accidentally dropped and broke it. I replaced it with a 30mm Vixen NLV (second hand at a great price). I just dont like the NLV as much as i did the GSO (i honestly dont know why i dont like it as much).

The GSO made plossls are good eyepieces for their modest cost. The GSO made wide fields are not so good if they are for use in a scope with a focal ratio of F/8 or faster (eg: F/6, F/5 etc). They are not well corrected for astigmatism at such focal ratios.

The BST Starguiders are a nice step up from the "stock" eyepieces in both optical quality and viewing comfort, having both a wider field (that is relatievely well corected) and longer eye relief.

25 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

My most favourite EP was my 32mm GSO plossl. It was the real work hose of my collection for scanning the skies. I accidentally dropped and broke it. I replaced it with a 30mm Vixen NLV (second hand at a great price). I just dont like the NLV as much as i did the GSO (i honestly dont know why i dont like it as much).

I got it because it was so cheap. Never thought it would be so good. Sorry you dropped yours! Maybe you can sell your Vixen and get a new GSO.

9 minutes ago, Ruud said:

I got it because it was so cheap. Never thought it would be so good. Sorry you dropped yours! Maybe you can sell your Vixen and get a new GSO.

Mine came included in my Celestron eye opener kit, many moons ago. They are cheap enough online (30-40 quid). Thats within what i like to pay for (what i deem as quality EP's). I might just get one and sell the NLV. Then again, not like i need to sell the NLV to fund the purchase of the 32mm GSO....so may just but one.

I just absolutely loved the view through the 32mm GSO. It has a FOV of 50 degrees, but honestly felt much more.

6 hours ago, beanyboy1982 said:

Seen a few gso eyepieces are they any good compared to the skywatcher ones you get with the scope ? 

You can't generalize. In each brand of eyepieces some ranges are better than others, and in each range some focal lengths are better than others. Every model is designed individually, they have common features (all Plössls have four lenses in two groups of two cemented lenses) but also slight variations in concept.

I have the same Synta Plossls that came with my Synta Newtonian...

'Sirius' Plossls.jpg

I looked through them once.  Whilst the mirrors of the telescope itself are very good indeed, the bundled eyepieces are okay, but I have other eyepieces.

Plossls have very short eye-relief when you choose below 10mm(120x).

I have a Vixen NPL 6mm(200x), and I almost have to touch my eye to its lens, and in order to see the full field...

Vixen NPL 6mm4.jpg

...but the view through it is like... meditation.gif .

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-npl-eyepieces.html

I, too, have the latest version of the GSO 32mm plossl.  It is definitely better than my 20 year old Orion Sirius plossl.  Multicoated vs single coated is the main difference.  The polish on the lenses might be a little better as well.  I also have the 2" 2x GSO ED barlow and find it to be a match for the TV Big Barlow and Japan made Orion Deluxe 2" 2x barlow.

Starting out, I stepped up the Vixen LV and Pentax XL eyepieces because I needed long eye relief eyepieces in the shorter focal lengths.  I'm still using them 18 years later.  I've added other long eye relief eyepieces over the years to fill out my focal lengths, but I've always kept those early purchases because they still perform great even when compared to the latest eyepieces out there.

On 17/01/2017 at 23:13, beanyboy1982 said:

I've got a 200 dob 

Before I upgraded to a 12" I had an 8" dob and I can't recommend the BST highly enough.  For the price new I think they're unbeatable. You'll pick up TV plosslls for the same price 2nd though they're few and far between. 

For the BST's here's the  sellers in the US, and here's what you should know:

At AgenaAstro they are called 'Starguider' and here's a link:

http://agenaastro.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=+Starguider+Dual+ED

And at Astronomics they are called 'Paradigm Dual ED ' and the link to their 'front-door':

https://www.astronomics.com/default.aspx

The Eyepieces:

https://www.astronomics.com/vsearch.aspx?SearchTerm=Paradigm Dual ED eyepieces

That should about cover these.

Hoping this may help some folks,

Dave

Archived