Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

evansg

Rho Ophiuchi Complex - 4 panel mosaic

This four panel mosaic gives an incredible widefield view of one of the most colourful regions in the night sky. A collection of intricate dust clouds, reflection, emission and dark nebulae and background globular clusters makes this a fascinating area.

rho_oph-X3.png

All data captured previous summer (end of June) in Mt. Parnon Greece @ 1430m. We finally found some time to process and merge all of them in one picture.

Luminance taken by Angelos Kechagias with an Atik 428EX on a Nikon 50mm Lens, RGB taken by Evangelos Souglakos (me) with an Atik 4000 on a Canon 50mm Lens.

Both lenses were stopped at f/5.6.
Filters: LRGB Baader
Sub-exposures: LRGB  5mins
Total time: 4h per panel 

Processing in Photoshop by Angelos Kechagias.

Full resolution in: http://www.celestialpixels.com/Nebulae/i-XSNF9zH/A

Edited by evansg
  • Like 26

Beautiful image Evangelos, makes me wish wish I had a better southerly view.

Dave

Beautiful, this is one of my "must do" images I have not had an opportunity to do yet.

Carole 

Amazing and awe inspiring.  As if I didn't already want to emigrate to Greece enough :crybaby2:

That's lovely!!! I always assumed that it was a little too low for me..... You've made a lovely job if it :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By wouterdhoye
      Second time I undertake this kind of endeavour. Many many movies were shot. Over 300Gb of data. Stitching was done by hand. in adobe Photoshop. 
      Equipment used: 
      CFF 300f//20 cassegrain
      ASI174MM with Astronomik proplanet807
      processing using Autostakkert, lynkeos and adobe photoshop.
      Image is a wee bit too large to add to post direclty. hence just the link.
      https://astrob.in/400728/0/
      Make sure to check out at full res.
      enjoy.
      Wouter.
    • By eshy76
      Hi everyone,
      A bit of an odd one aspect ratio wise, but fun to put together - first light for my new ASI294MC OSC and technically my first experimental attempt at a mosaic!
      My first stab at using the camera meant I went for 30 second subs, I need to experiment more to settle on my ideal sub length...still, the results are decent for a low integration time of 1.7 hours.
      I love the Orion constellation and if I had the skies and time, I would mosaic the whole thing, but failing that, I can do bits and pieces! Orion's Belt is amazing to me, the three stars, Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka, very distinctive in the night sky.
      Full details on Astrobin.
      Thanks for looking!

• By eshy76
      Hi everyone!
      The Tadpole Nebula and the Flaming Star Nebula captured over three nights of the unexpected nice weather we had a couple of weeks ago.
      A number of firsts with this image:
      1. My first mosaic - keeping it simple with two panes!
      2. First time I left my imaging rig outside... (I used a telegizmo cover) and it was perfect, allowing me to get imaging very quickly on each night
      3. First time using powerful scripting tools in my capture software, APT, to move to the second pane and starting imaging automatically...worked really well!
      APP was used for pre-processing and stitching the mosaic together, while Pixinsight was used for image processing. A total of 10.9 hours integration time.
      Full details on Astrobin
      Thanks for looking!

• By pshepp1890
      Hi everyone. So I'm looking to do some form of mosaic over the weekend. 
      Is it better to stack in mosaic mode in DSS or merge in photoshop? 
      And is there any other advice for me as this is mainly a learning evening for me so any tips would help. 
      Also do I need just 1 set of calibration frames or a set for each part of the mosaic. 
      Thanks, 
      Paul. 
    • By VilleM
      Hi, although Ive been doing lots of deep sky imaging Ive not really done any serious lunar imaging at all. Here is my first try with ASI1600MM-C and 12" f/10 Meade SCT on EQ8. I took 4 panels with 850nm IR pass filter, 20 frames stacked in each panel out of 500.

Image is quite large, at 1:2 scale out of the original. There is plenty of intresting details around Mare Crisium. Unfortunately seeing wasnt stable enough the top panel would be as sharp as the rest is. Still Im quite happy with the results.

C&C welcome.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.