SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WHAT !!!!!!!!!

BXRO

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would it matter if it was either to do just rinsing of mirrors?  I don't really know at all as I'm not a chemist, so quite interested to find out as our window cleaner uses demonised water specifically because it doesn't leave residue on the glass after rinsing.

5 minutes ago, RayD said:

Would it matter if it was either to do just rinsing of mirrors?  I don't really know at all as I'm not a chemist, so quite interested to find out as our window cleaner uses demonised water specifically because it doesn't leave residue on the glass after rinsing.

Where can I get some of that demonised water Ray, is it what devil worshipers use instead of holy water :evil4:

Dave

Just now, RayD said:

Ha Ha that's so funny.  This new MacBook has predictive text, which as you can see sometimes goes a bit Pete Tong.  Better be careful what I send the Mrs :icon_biggrin:

i phone is as bad, it's amazing some of the words it knows instead of the obvious one :grin:

Dave

Aha ok ta.  That's quite interesting as I had no idea there was a difference.  if I ever get a reflector I know what water to get now for sure.

I'm sure I saw a video somewhere linked from here recently where someone was rinsing a mirror under a kitchen tap, so I'm guessing that would be a big no no?

At that price I doubt very much if it is either distilled, or deionised of the dangerous kind,  these days of cheap membranes it is probably Reverse Osmosis prepared, which is fine.

Time was when deionised was prepared using a resin which was recharged with hydrochloric acid and if care was not taken with wash-waters some of it could be carried over into the product. ( dont ask, I used to use that method for one of my hobbies ) and that was just the cation resin !

To make sure that it is RO water get it from your local tropical fish hobbyist, no worries.

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

i phone is as bad, it's amazing some of the words it knows instead of the obvious one :grin:

Dave

My other half has an iPhone and often chuckles when telling me what she nearly sends.  It's only this new computer that is all singing and dancing that now does it as well, and at the moment I don't know how to or if if I can disable it.  If I suddenly start swearing like I'm having a Tourettes outburst at least you know what it is :icon_biggrin:

I used to regularly clean an industrial scale deioniser.  A process that involved 25 litres of concentrated hydrochloric acid which was then diluted, 20 kilos of solid sodium hydroxide made into solution and an awful lot of PPE.  I am also a chemist (not pharmaceutical)

9 hours ago, JOC said:

I used to regularly clean an industrial scale deioniser.  A process that involved 25 litres of concentrated hydrochloric acid which was then diluted, 20 kilos of solid sodium hydroxide made into solution and an awful lot of PPE.  I am also a chemist (not pharmaceutical)

Just goes to show how much stuff is taken out by the deionisation process.

RO is the easiest suitable water to obtain for rinsing mirrors. DI, if produced on reputable equipment, will be the purest water you can get. 'Distilled' water, even double-distilled, is likely to be the lowest purity, least controlled water you can get. It is the oldest, crudest method of purifying water known to man.

I am a Marine (water!) Chemist and R&D Manager for a company that manufactures, amongst other things, water purifying equipment for scientific applications. 

42 minutes ago, RikM said:

RO is the easiest suitable water to obtain for rinsing mirrors

It is the oldest, crudest method of purifying water known to man.

Yep, I agree, as per my previous, RO every time.

Just for info and curiosity :--  It may be old, simple and at times crude but it would be unfair on distilled to give the impression that it was too crude to be of use on mirrors ! (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Distillers ) I joke of course, but my wife was a biologist/botanist and her lab complex had several distillation units of various constructions of various glasses and materials depending upon general use or fine analysis to ensure the right degree of purity. But all were pure as far as (our) mirrors are concerned.

Now the purpose of this post : Buy your own RO unit to rinse your mirrors and all those of your chums at the local club !

Ages ago they were on sale for the discerning aquarist in the region of £200 to 300 ish, which was ok if you had lots of fish to service but a bit much for the 1 per century wash of a mirror !!

But I just looked via google and Lo! the first that hove into view was only £90 for a 4-stage ultra with DI gosh ! The DI polish I would suggest is not needed in this app. so there may be cheaper available ?

Mind you, there is an art to keeping the membrane in good fettle and bacteria free if it it only used intermittently. ( I'll leave that for another instalment maybe :) )

22 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Yep, I agree, as per my previous, RO every time.

Just for info and curiosity :--  It may be old, simple and at times crude but it would be unfair on distilled to give the impression that it was too crude to be of use on mirrors ! (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Distillers ) I joke of course, but my wife was a biologist/botanist and her lab complex had several distillation units of various constructions of various glasses and materials depending upon general use or fine analysis to ensure the right degree of purity. But all were pure as far as (our) mirrors are concerned.

You are right of course. Distilled will be perfectly fine to use. I just wanted to let people know that distilled is 'low purity', pure water compared to modern methods.

Buy your own RO unit to rinse your mirrors and all those of your chums at the local club !

I'm happy to pass any enquiries on to our sales team. Use my name for a special discount ;)  :D 

9 minutes ago, RikM said:

I work for one of the companies listed in this publication.

An RO company by any chance** ( I've not read it yet) ? so I'll leave you to do the sequel on bacteria and fungus on one's membrane then, lol !?

I was surprised at how cheap the domestic units have become, at that rate the membrane must be almost cheap enough to be disposable !

** as I type I have just seen your latest offer :)

Archived