Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trying to get my head round the image inversion of a reflector

Swoop1

I am struggling to get my head around the image inversion of a reflector telescope. 

If I was viewing a square 4 box grid, numbered 1 top left , 2 top right, 3 bottom left and 4 bottom right, would my Ep view be the number 1 upside down and reversed in the bottom right square etc?

So does everyone else at first, its not uncommon.

http://www.astroasheville.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Telescope_Image_Orientation.pdf

I think it's best to go out during the day and visually check whats happening to build a mental picture of how a why it occurs.
The reflector inverts/rotates the image depending on the angular difference between the eyepiece and the vertical plane.

These added images shows how my scope sees the street lamp though the patio door, the scope is almost horizontal to the ground.

1) Normal
2) Finder view
3) Telescope view

IMG_0830 (Small).JPG
IMG_0831 (Small).JPG
IMG_0832 (Small).JPG

As a committed refractor fan, I spent ages struggling the orientation of the view in a Newtonian. I used to think it was just inverted, but Paz is correct, the view is basically rotated 180 degrees. That occurs when the eyepiece is parallel to the ground though, if the tube is rotated then the view can appear at a range of different angles.

Archived