SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sketching back to the start - more or less

Moonshane

I have decided to start adding my sketches back to when I really started in earnest to record me observations in this way. The first time I even dreamed of sketching was when I was viewing something new which I thought was M53 and had my doubts about being in the right spot. Therefore, I literally did a few dots  on a piece of lined notebook that I was using and from this discovered I was wrong about M53 but it had enough detail to confirm I had 'discovered' NGC 6819, the foxhead cluster. Bear in mind my garden is quite light polluted so your views through similar gear might be a lot more detailed/ brighter.

I have continued to use sketches to initially set down what I think I am seeing and believe to be the object I am observing and allow later verification or refute.

So going back to 2013, here's the first few. All were done on plain white paper with a pen/pencil and then simply cropped and colour inverted in 'paint'.

Collinder 62

with 12" dobsonian and 26mm Nagler

51x 1.6 degree field

collinder 62.jpg

NGC 1778

with 12" dobsonian and 13mm Ethos

103x 1 degree field

ngc 1778.jpg

NGC 1857

103x 1 degree field

ngc 1857.jpg

NGC 1907

103x 1 degree field

ngc 1907.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to sketch every time i was at the scope,until i got a goto, and for some reason i just observe with it,shame really because i love going back over my sketches and observations and as you say shane i would sketch something and later check if what i was seeing was real,maybe a faint galaxy or nebula,or features on planets and when what i would sketch showed up in a picture it gives you a great feeling of achievement.

I will get back into it again for shure.

I started out sketching for the sae reasons as you. Purely record shots to check over later. I soon realised that this helped to observe more accurately and added to my enjoyment. I am no artist Shane, but I like to look over my sketches every now and then. See what I have got better at andwhat I need to improve.

Here's the next batch

NGC 1893

12" dob 13mm Ethos 

103x 1 degree field

ngc 1893 20131023 12 13e 103x 1 degree.jpg

NGC 1746

12" dob 26mm Nagler 

51x 1.6 degree field

ngc 1746 20131023 12 26n 51x 1.6 deg.jpg

NGC 744

12" dob 15mm TV Plossl 

89x 0.56 degree field

ngc 744 20131103 12 15p.jpg

NGC 1027

12" dob 15mm TV Plossl 

89x 0.56 degree field

ngc 1027 20131110 12 15p.jpg

NGC 1647

12" dob 25mm TV Plossl 

53x 0.94 degree field

ngc 1647 20131112 12 25p.jpg

Looking back, I am definitely going to revisit some of these and re-sketch as although I am content that I was correctly identifying them, the accuracy of my early sketches leaves something to be desired. That said, I'd obviously not be at the (slightly higher) skill level I am now had I not gone through this stage :icon_biggrin:

These are circles drawn with a template cut in black plastic sheeting (I think it was an old telescope end cap) using a compass cutter. Worth buying one (cheap on amazon/ebay) as it saves a lot of time. For these I just used a black pen and tried to get the dots as good as I could. You can see they are somewhat uneven though. I sketch on plain white, decent quality notebooks and then invert colour in the MS standard 'paint' software. They are pretty basic really and I'd encourage anyone to have a go. The main challenge is balancing pens, notebook, star map and red torch but you'll find a way.

I now use some better pens of different nib sizes (I bought a set on amazon) and they are much better.

Here's a more recent example which is still basic but a bit neater. Sometimes I do a rough version and then redo it in the light.

2186.jpg

Archived