Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW Baader Hyperion Mk IV Zoom Eyepiece Incoming

FLO

The Baader Mk III Hyperion Zoom, the UK's most popular Zoom eyepiece, has been discontinued and a new Mk IV model is in the pipeline. 

Currently we know only the following: 

• It will be smaller and lighter than the existing model. 
  • It will be compatible with the Baader 2.25x Barlow
  • It will initially cost the same as the outgoing model (we expect it's price will rise soon after). 
  • It is expected to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb. 

We will post pix and specs as soon as we have them :smile: 

baader_hyperion_mark_iv_8-24_zoom_eyepiece.jpg

3 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

There's a thread on CN..

Excellent, I have added the photo to my post :smile: 

I said to the importer "Do you have any pix or specs, because you know what will happen if I post without them..." :biggrin:

Should be fun! The Mk III is a pretty solid performer. So, even if the makeover is limited to smaller and lighter, it'll be a good un. Sure a bit more FOV at the 25mm end would be nice. But, they are designing to a price point.

Paul

Thats very interesting. I've been thinking about getting another one of these for the public outreach star parties that I go to - apart from being good quality optical performers, they are comfortable and easy to view through which is a big "plus" for folks who have not used a scope before :thumbright:

1 hour ago, Paul73 said:

Should be fun! The Mk III is a pretty solid performer. So, even if the makeover is limited to smaller and lighter, it'll be a good un. Sure a bit more FOV at the 25mm end would be nice. But, they are designing to a price point.

Paul

Yep, the 24mm end was always the weakness. Hope they have fixed this.

baa.jpgbaa2.jpg

Niallk would be proud of the second shot.

I have been reading Baader's German sales info (Google translation is great!) and have gleaned the following: 

This 4th generation Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Click-stop Zoom is smaller (55mm wide) and lighter (290 grams) than its predecessor (the Mk-III model was 80 grams heavier). This makes it an especially good choice for use with binoviewers.

The click-stop mechanism has been improved - it has the same 8, 12, 16, 20 and 24 mm settings but the mechanism is softer and more reliable in very cold conditions. 

It has an additional four millimeter back-focus so is more compatible with spotting scopes that accept 1.25" eyepieces. The longer back-focus, together with Baader's type A adapter ring, means it is more likely to achieve focus at infinity when used with a spotting scope and, when the 1.25 "nose-piece is removed, a 1 3/8" thread is revealed that enables the eyepiece to be screwed directly to Celestron Ultima spotters. A bayonet adapter is also available that enables the eyepiece to be used with Zeiss Diascope spotters.  

The optical quality and specification is unchanged - it has the same wide 68 degrees FOV at 8mm and 50 degrees at 24mm and features Baader's 'Phantom Group' multi-coating on all air-to-glass surfaces.

It also remains fully compatible with the Baader 2.25 x Hyperion Barlow (sold separately). 

As with previous Baader Hyperion Zoom eyepieces, the Mark IV model features a M43 thread for easy connection to a DSLR or T2 accessory via an optional M43 / T2 adapter. 

The eyepiece is supplied with 1.25 and 2" nose-pieces that feature Baader's patented 'Zero Tilt Safety Kerfs' for added peace of mind (less likely to fall out of the eyepiece holder). A yellow storage pouch is also included. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Archived