Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Narrow band filters - what's the best gang of three?

Moonshane

Hi all

I am looking to move to premium filters and am considering Lumicon as my brand of choice for Oiii, UHC and Hb. Probably on a used basis.

There's lots of advice all over the internet and one possible adjustment I am considering the DGM as a replacement for the Lumicon UHC.

Does anyone have any views having used any of the above or similar.

It will be for visual only and for scopes from 102mm-400mm in light polluted skies (yes, I know I should travel more!). 

As I have reverted to 1.25" only I and buying 1.25" filters as nowadays I tend to locate an object and then stick to one magnification to sketch once I have established the best one for the object.

Cheers

Shane

Just watch out for the older Lumicon filters from before the mid-90s, I believe.  They can "rust" or some such I've heard.  I have a Lumicon UHC and an OIII from the late 90s, and both have served me well for nearly 20 years.  I don't use them frequently, but it's nice to have them when I need them.  Both work great.  In particular, the Veil nebula is all but invisible from my back yard without it.  With it, there is a lot of detail to be seen.

Hi Shane

I believe that Lumicon filters have recently got back into production, as Farpoint are now the company owners. I have the three Lumicon filters mentioned, the only other deep sky filter I have owned was an Orion UltraBlock. Personally I can recommend all three types, my first Lumicon was an OIII, which I have used extensively for several years. I have started to use these filters with my 76mm refractor as well as my dob's, although I require and have planned more dark sky sessions where the refractor is concerned. I will also aim to be using my H-beta with this scope on specific targets. 

Most of my observing takes place away from home, but then I do live in the Toon and have only a backyard, adequate but no more than. Whenever I have set up for observing, for example brighter PN's from home, I have used the OIII with my 8" dob to good effect. If you are primarily going to use at home, but with aims to occasionally visit dark sky locations with either dobs or fracs such as trips with your camper van, investing in the Lumicon brand will be worth while.

cheers Iain

as always I suppose the differences are very slight and the answer is sometimes to buy a mixture or several versions of the same thing but I reckon that any of the good brands will perform well enough. I do prefer the unfiltered view in truth but sometimes when a filter's needed it really makes a big difference.

definitely well worth the money, especially the Oiii. I find Oiii filters reveal things you won't otherwise see, even the cheapest of them. as always any 'premium' version simply provides a very small increase in clarity/contrast etc and certainly not in line with the price increase.

I currently use the Lumicon O-III and the Omega DGM NBP both in the 2" size. I find they compliment each other very well. I'd used an Astronomik O-III as my sole deep sky filter for quite a while before this but wanted a little more flexibility. I guess I went for the classic "David Knisely" pairing :icon_biggrin:

I'm currently without an H-Beta but I might venture one again one day. Probably an Astronomik.

Hi Shane

I have the Lumicon OIII 1.25 & 2" and the Hb 1.25". Possibly a UHC 1.25" incoming..... but would be really interested in how the DGM compares as the Lumicon UHC's are doing a pretty good hens' teeth impression at then moment. We do not know if the new owners will keep up with the quality ....  (Although there were some grumblings on that front towards the end).

They will be coming to Nicks's Star Happening at the end of March if you want to compare.

Paul

Shane I have a Lumicon UHC, Baader UHC-S and Skywatcher UHC.  Also an Astronomik O-III and Castell O-III and a Thousand Oaks H.Beta.

The Lumicon is much better than the Baader and the Skywatcher.

To be honest I would say that the Astronomik and Castell O-III give similar results.

Finally the 1000 Oaks H.Beta has given me a view of the California Neb in my 15x70 Apollo Binos and I believe a faint glimpse of the HH in the 12" Dob.

I thought about the DGM but the red stars put me off.

I would like to try another make of H.Beta to use in my Binos but I won't pay for a new Astronomik.

cheers Mark

I'll be doing some thinking over the next week or two. I reckon I am set on the Lumicon Oiii  and Hb. Having done a bit more reading I am erring towards the DGM NPB as it does apparently seem to genuinely enhance to contrast and detail in nebs.

I will be interested in any reviews/opinions of the Omega/DGM NPB filter which is available from Denmark at £89. It appears to have a narrow passband at H.Beta so might be good at showing the HH or California if I got that correct. I suppose the statement about the H.Alpha passband makes me wonder about red stars or perhaps it just shows faint red colours in nebulas.

4 hours ago, Louis D said:

Just watch out for the older Lumicon filters from before the mid-90s, I believe.  They can "rust" or some such I've heard.  I have a Lumicon UHC and an OIII from the late 90s, and both have served me well for nearly 20 years.  I don't use them frequently, but it's nice to have them when I need them.  Both work great.  In particular, the Veil nebula is all but invisible from my back yard without it.  With it, there is a lot of detail to be seen.

I was very miffed indeed when a £99 Lumicon bought around the year 2000 came out of its box one night a few years later covered in dust and minus its coatings. In those days £99 was £99. Yikes. In the unlikely event that Lumicon send me a free replacement I'll re-assess their filters....

Olly

The new generation of Lumicon is getting-up and running with the new owner's and location. I've had quite a few chats with one of these folks who gave me the information. As well as a reassurance that the filters will remain the same.

So if you need a new Lumicon UHC or OIII, all will be as was soon.

Dave - the Filter-Nut

7 hours ago, scarp15 said:

I believe that Lumicon filters have recently got back into production, as Farpoint are now the company owners.

Ummm, I was under the impression that Farpoint is not Lumicon. That said, their filters did pretty well in the tests, and transmission curves look like refined Lumicon.

16 hours ago, BGazing said:

Ummm, I was under the impression that Farpoint is not Lumicon. That said, their filters did pretty well in the tests, and transmission curves look like refined Lumicon.

Yes as Dave has indicted (sorry Dave could not enlarge the attachment), there is some information concerning this on Cloudy Nights such as the following link - scroll down, the conversation about Farpoint / Lumicon is towards to the bottom of the page.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/563038-best-h-beta-filter-for-the-horsehead/

Also here is that thread that I think Dave had submitted confirming Farpoint as new owners.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/556155-lumicon-change-of-ownership/

You'd need to click on the image, then click on "download." Once it's on you computer - then use the middle-wheel on the image to enlarge. Scroll-up or Scroll-down, also click on left-button of mouse and hold down, and you will be able to move up & down on the image.

Dave

Blimey. There are a bunch of knowledgeable people out there!!

It would be interesting to collate some side by side filter tests tests using specified scope sizes. I'm hypothesising that a broader bandwidth filter would do better in a smaller scope than one with a very narrow bandwidth???

I'll be bringing the Lumicon UHC, OIII, Hb, and the ES & Skywatcher UHC's to Nick's Peak District outting at the end of March. We could kick things off then??

Paul

Blimey. There are a bunch of knowledgeable people out there!!

It would be interesting to collate some side by side filter tests tests using specified scope sizes. I'm hypothesising that a broader bandwidth filter would do better in a smaller scope than one with a very narrow bandwidth???

I'll be bringing the Lumicon UHC, OIII, Hb and the ES & Skywatcher UHC's to Nick's Peak District outting at the end of March. We could kick things off then??

Paul

Archived