SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I"m growing increasingly bored....:(

As a follow-up, I joined the Denver Astonomical Society, and last night I visited them dedicated "Dark Sky Site". Friends, I saw 6 separate galaxies, a double cluster, the Milky Way, an iridium flare, constellations I've never seen before, and more.

It was 20 Fahrenheit (-6 Celsius, I think), and only one other person showed up, but it was well worth the hour drive out of town to see it all, my addiction has only grown stronger.  

Night time is secretly becoming my favorite part of the day...

I can't thank you all enough for th advice you've passed along.  And please keep the stories and info coming!

Jon

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/01/2017 at 05:58, Jon the Newb said:

As a follow-up, I joined the Denver Astonomical Society, and last night I visited them dedicated "Dark Sky Site". Friends, I saw 6 separate galaxies, a double cluster, the Milky Way, an iridium flare, constellations I've never seen before, and more.

It was 20 Fahrenheit (-6 Celsius, I think), and only one other person showed up, but it was well worth the hour drive out of town to see it all, my addiction has only grown stronger.  

Night time is secretly becoming my favorite part of the day...

I can't thank you all enough for th advice you've passed along.  And please keep the stories and info coming!

Jon

Well, you gotta take what is there, can't beat the clouds or your own commitments.

I literally had to wait 2 months between two outings. And even then it was a 71 mm Borg and basically I had to plan like a madman to have one decent night out of 10 nights of a family skiing trip. Given that we were close to the light polluted valley, first studied detailed LP map, picked a spot approx 25 mins away, saw that basically I have one night window for some observing...went there alone....and it was pretty satisfactory. 20.6 sqm reading, nothing like my 8inch SCT, but I saw Orion, Pleades, Andromeda, Double Cluster, etc. There are limits of the aperture, but it was nice. It was my time under the stars. -2deg C LOL.

Archived