SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I"m growing increasingly bored....:(

I set my telescope up night after night, and being that I live on the outskirts of Denver, I don't see a great deal of objects in the night sky due to light pollution.  That fact, combined wth the fact that this is my first telescope, so it's only 80mm, I'm fairly limited on what I see each night.  I view Venus, Mars, the Pleiades, Orion Nebula, and a few others things, but in the end, simply seeing the same limited objects, and they're all very tiny in my 80mm scope, has sadly lost its appeal somewhat.  Using "light-Pollution" maps, I'd need to drive about 30 minutes and find a spot to setup to view more night sky objects.

Am I the only one to go through this?  Perhaps I'm just being lazy not making that drive late at night to get a better view?  I love astronomy and star gazing, but again, seeing the same BB sized stars is somewhat getting old.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on what I can/should do to spice it up a bit?  (Sorry if it sounds like I'm whining).

Thank You,

Jon

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Jon

im new to this too so probably not the best person to answer... But...

i wonder if a great pair of binocs is perhaps better based on your circumstances, more portable, quicker to set up etc etc

as a child I remember the great views of Saturn and Jupiter moons we saw through the family scope... The work was done for me and I just had to step outside. Now that I have to wait for the skies, brave the cold, set up and search the skies it is certainly harder work.

I'm a newbie myself, and the only suggestions I can give you are to go elsewhere to observe, which you've already said, or a lager scope. I live in a light polluted area but using a 5" Newtonian scope works ok for me at this stage in the hobby. As I get to learn more and want to see more, then I'll go up to an 8".  That may be sooner than I expect though :) 

Everyone but the luckiest folk are troubled by light pollution to some degree, but what about making a shield to try and hide behind?

I'd Say take the drive to darker skies, it will put the fire back in your heart where i live it is mainly cloudy but when i get the chance i go up onto the tops where the skies are a bit darker  the views are amazing

plan a weekend away, a log cabin maybe, or even a tent (canvas hot tent in this weather lol), when you are in true darkness, with the milkyway above you in full color, the buzz will come back :) i had a little refractor for years, i got bored too, living in london its rare to get more than a vague glimpse of deep space, but going off to truely dark sky country never failed to bring back my excitement over astronomy and star gazing

even with just a pair of binoculors, the milky way in a dark sky is spectacular

give yourself a weekend of stargazing, then deciede if you really are bored of the hobby, you may find you just have to make your star gazing times into a weekend getaway every now and then

(or move house and buy a home up a mountain :D )

I drive the 25 miles from home to the Darker skies of rural South Norfolk. Takes 30-45 minutes depending on traffic, probably the best 'upgrade' that you can make. My frac is only 76mm, but I've seen much through it.  Is there an Astro club local to you that you could join and who may have dark skies sites you could visit? 

Good luck.

Chris

The light pollution gets worse every year where I live. The sky on a cloudy night has an orange glow that wouldn't look out of place in the film Damnation alley! Unfortunately I don't think it is going to get better anytime soon.

I decided a few years ago to try my hand at as many different fields of astronomy as I could get involved in or afford. This has helped keep me interested when I might not have.

Try some double stars. There are loads of interesting things around orion and elsewhere. Search for info about it on this forum. I have a 70mm scope and I have a much easier time looking at doubles than fuzzier things.

Here are couple of ideas:

- first the obvious one: try to get your self some kind of dark site (myself, still working on it, I as well have problem with heavy LP - red zone), but I think that following ideas are applicable regardless of LP levels.

- try to push the boundary of "what is possible" - go hunt for fainter stuff regardless of the odds, but take care to do what ever is in your power to make it happen - shield yourself of immediate lights surrounding you (even if this means blanket over your head), read about effects of exit pupil on contrast and visibility, use averted vision as much as you can and get accustomed of using it, go for targets near the zenith or in parts of the sky less affected by LP.

- Get organized - keep logs, diaries, judge seeing / transparency conditions and log those, make some kind of comparisons from gathered data - does not need to be scientific - just broaden your knowledge on the subject.

- Maybe try sketching? Sketch the moon on nights when sky is lit up by it, sketch deep sky objects that are within your reach (maybe this will help you go deeper in combination with point 2).

- Try to do some work on double stars - try splitting them, check which one are fast orbiting ones, try to log their positions (in combination with sketching) and see if you can spot differences over period of weeks / months.

- Hunt for brighter asteroids, comets, ... anything that moves fairly rapidly over the sky and is within your reach magnitude wise - track object and make "measurements" - log position, do sketches, do some sort of calculations (speed, distance, apparent motion in degrees)

It can be quite useful, particularly when starting out, to get some structure in motion. So as suggested, joining an astronomical society and perhaps participating in any forth coming Spring and Autumn calendar star party, star camp events is very advantageous. Even if conditions are mixed, interacting with seasoned amateur astronomers, exposure to equipment, talks, advice, encouragement and inspiration is guaranteed. This would provide momentum and wind in your sail as you establish how you anticipate that you may evolve through this activity, equally it may provide additional opportunities to stargaze. 

I do the half hour drive to get to a dark site combined with sometimes using my back yard. I also do a star party or two each year. I have to admit I probably wouldn't do the drive to set up on my own - I go meet up with other local astro lads and lasses.

So my point really is: going to a meet with other friends is always something to look forward to. Even if the stars aren't out you can catch up, ask questions, chat about gear and mods, and if lucky, do a bit of communal stargazing too. So maybe your local astro group dark site is the preferable way to keep the interest going. :)

From reading the site I would head off asap and join the Denver Astro Soc.

Their site says:

The society’s volunteer members conduct public and education outreach activities that reach over 6,000 children and adults each year, that include twice-weekly public observing nights and monthly open house star gazing nights at Chamberlin Observatory

Take your scope as you will find people are often more drawn towards a small scope, guess they seem a bit less "intimidated" of them. I certainly find that. Recently a 90mm I was tending had more at it then a 150mm goto SCT and even a 16 inch. Maybe it is simply that on a small scope they can make contact, whereas on the 16" it is a case of stand there put eye in the right place, have a look and move on. I would say you could end up with casual and fun, none serious, observing twice a week if you wanted and could fit it in.

Some knowledge is helpful but maybe not as much as you half expect, owing to the clouds with the 90mm I was limited to the Moon. I was quite open and honest and explained that my total knowledge of it was:: It is bright, so probably that thing up there, and the big shiny crater thingy was Tycho. And there ended my total and complete knowledge of the moon. We had a good evening.

But with the weekly and monthly meetings indicated I am sure you could help out, even just talking to people and maybe directing them to a scope on a relevant target.

You will likely find that others have ideas of objects to view, or make up your own:: 5 Planetary nebula, 5 Globular clusters, 5 Open Clusters. If 5 is not enough make it 10. If you join the Denver club then that could open up the Astro League observing programs, maybe help one of the youngsters complete their AL Observing Program.

One thing in astronomy is that at some time you have to sit down and start identifying things to head out and look at.

Wow!!  You all gave me the push, the information and the encouragement to get off my butt, leave my backyard, head out tot he dark country, and to join up with local Astronomical groups.    I needed that kick in the Bottom., so thank you everyone!!

Too bad it's snowing all day today and all night tonight....... 

Personally although I'd love to get to darker skies more often, I have family commitments and also worry about the number of times when I put the scope out at home only to bring it in before it's even cool due to clouds/rain/snow etc. If I'd driven 30 miles for the same thing I'd soon get bored with that!

So, as a result I tend to observe from home mainly and we all hit the wall of looking at the same things over and again. What I have done to combat this to some extent is to start one of the major lists such as the Messier list, the Herschel 400 as two starters and the Lunar 100 for our closest neighbour. They provide something to aim for and rather than surfing through as many in a night as I can, I settle down on the one or two I have targeted for the night and make a sketch as best I can. This leads to a more relaxed session with a bigger sense of achievement and also a nice reference to go back to on cloudy nights. In the sketching section on SGL, you'll see some of my and other people's efforts and it's a really nice way to actually relax while observing. You can be selective on your targets and choose ones that are bright enough when the moon is out or high enough in the sky to allow the required power - light pollution is also less the closer you look to straight up. Try it, you might find yourself addicted to sketching!

There's a complete range of skill on this forum - I am mainly dots and smudges but others really do have some skills in art.

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/21-sketching/

31 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Personally although I'd love to get to darker skies more often, I have family commitments and also worry about the number of times when I put the scope out at home only to bring it in before it's even cool due to clouds/rain/snow etc. If I'd driven 30 miles for the same thing I'd soon get bored with that!

So, as a result I tend to observe from home mainly and we all hit the wall of looking at the same things over and again. What I have done to combat this to some extent is to start one of the major lists such as the Messier list, the Herschel 400 as two starters and the Lunar 100 for our closest neighbour. They provide something to aim for and rather than surfing through as many in a night as I can, I settle down on the one or two I have targeted for the night and make a sketch as best I can. This leads to a more relaxed session with a bigger sense of achievement and also a nice reference to go back to on cloudy nights. In the sketching section on SGL, you'll see some of my and other people's efforts and it's a really nice way to actually relax while observing. You can be selective on your targets and choose ones that are bright enough when the moon is out or high enough in the sky to allow the required power - light pollution is also less the closer you look to straight up. Try it, you might find yourself addicted to sketching!

There's a complete range of skill on this forum - I am mainly dots and smudges but others really do have some skills in art.

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/21-sketching/

That is very good advice Shane, and I hope to do something along similar lines this year. Not so sure about sketching, but certainly trying to work through the Lunar 100 and be more systematic about my observing.

Good luck mate. The main thing I realised a while ago is I will never see everything as it's simply not possible even if I had a 36" dob in my observatory at my singles pad high in the Alps. Therefore I decided to take more time to enjoy the things I see with a little more patience and time spent on them.

19 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Good luck mate. The main thing I realised a while ago is I will never see everything as it's simply not possible even if I had a 36" dob in my observatory at my singles pad high in the Alps. Therefore I decided to take more time to enjoy the things I see with a little more patience and time spent on them.

Thanks chap. I'm actually quite (and always have been) happy to just get the best out of whatever kit I have to hand. I have always loved a good 4" frac, so I think for the moment I'm going to concentrate on lunar and solar Ha and White light, plus perhaps some doubles and brighter DSOs when the mood takes. I've always wanted to complete the Lunar 100 so that should be a major goal this year I think.

To the OP, I guess it is about setting yourself realistic goals that stretch you a little each time. I often just cycle round a list of old favourites due to my poor skies, so as Shane suggests, setting a goal list to work through really helps.

With your scope you should get pretty good views of the moon, which has loads of goodies to look at as you follow its phases to hunt for valleys, rifts and craters etc along its shadow. Get a good moon atlas and enjoy the moon close up. You could also but a solar filter to enable you to do some solar work too in the daytime, which will also give satisfaction in studying the sun spots and faculaea that show on its face. And finally, double stars too are always good to hunt down and view, which again can be done quite easily in light polluted skies too, so lots to go at even if a lot of DSO's might be out of reach in your skies. 

As a future option, you could come over to the "dark side" and take up imaging :)  but be warned, it can be a bottomless pit of time, knowledge and/or money - but it does open up the rest of the universe for you. With just 80mm of apeture you could even bag a few quasars, they might be just a couple of specs on your monitor - but knowing that light has been travelling for 8bly is mind = blown.

15 hours ago, Jon the Newb said:

I set my telescope up night after night, and being that I live on the outskirts of Denver, I don't see a great deal of objects in the night sky due to light pollution.  That fact, combined wth the fact that this is my first telescope, so it's only 80mm, I'm fairly limited on what I see each night.  I view Venus, Mars, the Pleiades, Orion Nebula, and a few others things, but in the end, simply seeing the same limited objects, and they're all very tiny in my 80mm scope, has sadly lost its appeal somewhat.  Using "light-Pollution" maps, I'd need to drive about 30 minutes and find a spot to setup to view more night sky objects.

Am I the only one to go through this?  Perhaps I'm just being lazy not making that drive late at night to get a better view?  I love astronomy and star gazing, but again, seeing the same BB sized stars is somewhat getting old.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on what I can/should do to spice it up a bit?  (Sorry if it sounds like I'm whining).

Thank You,

Jon

Hello Jon,

I have an 80mm telescope.  Does yours look like this...

Antares 805h.jpg

If so, then you might have this...

71Fuc4NTmcL._SX522_.jpg

...or this...

Celestron_21048_Powerseeker_80_EQ_3_1_80

The first of those two is for deep-sky viewing, primarily, and the second can actually do both: lunar/planetary and deep-sky.

Since you said that everything is tiny, I'm guessing you have the first. 

Do you have a range of eyepieces, and a 2x or 3x barlow?

I was also underwhelmed using my scope for visual.  I took up imaging with DSLR a couple of years back and am continually amazed at what I can see through the camera. It is expensive when you get into into and start wanting to produce professional looking images, but you will be amazed at what a DSLR can see from your back yad that is invisible to visual astro. And join a club or society if you havn't already... :icon_biggrin:

I can really sympathise with you on this as seeing yet another faint patch of fuzziness can be underwhelming to the untrained eye. Sometimes I dread my wife wanting to see what I "waste all my time on" as she does not do all the research I do before looking.

I get the wow factor as I research what I'm going to try and find, then it's great when I actually do find it. I'm blown away by the size, scale, distance, time involved in everything to do with the Universe. 

I have delved into astrophotography as well which opens up a load of other stuff you can "see" and combined with the observing and the researching fills my mind and completes this hobby 10 x over. Astrophotography does not have to be a bottomless pit. 

Archived