Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus filter

lukebl

Hi folks,

This is an attempt a capturing the clouds of Venus, using a Baader U-filter. Admittedly, it's not great, but there are some albedo differences visible.

I have seen much sharper images and I was wondering how others manage to capture the clouds so clearly. The filter is so dark, that even with my sensitive Atik, I could only get 1/20 sec exposures, which isn't sufficient to freeze the seeing. The Atik is fast, and my other cams could barely make it out even with 1/4 sec exposures which makes a blurry mess!

31484888164_a555357ddd.jpg

55 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

Also you might want to ask this thread to be moved to the imaging section.

Oh yes, I though I had posted it in the imaging section!

Mods, can you move it?

3 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

There is some nice detail visible there. A couple questions, as I have just ordered a U filter myself.  What scope were you using your 250mm? Also I know nothing of your Atik, but what is it like for UV sensitivity? 

This was captured with my 200PDS plus a 3x Televue Barlow. No idea about the UV sensitivity.

Like I said, the filter is sooooo dark that I assumed that the Atik would be the most useful, being theoretically the most sensitive of all my cams. This was just 90 FITS captures, processed in Registax. Unless I can find a way of getting much faster exposures, I'm not sure how to get more detail.

Great image for a first-take! And you're not kidding when you said it was a dim.

I took images of a lightbulb here by simply holding at across the camera-lens. And all other (over 40) filters I have.

This an older Schuler Venus-Filter - which were bought out by Astrodon:

Schüler 1.25-inch UV Filter (Venus Filter).JPG

Have fun!

Dave

On 1/15/2017 at 16:58, lukebl said:

This is an attempt at capturing the clouds of Venus, using a Baader U-filter. Admittedly, it's not great ...

I beg to differ, that IS a GREAT shot of a very difficult target!  Well done. I played around with photographing Venus with a violet filter and my results were laughable compared to that :)

If anyone is thinking of going after Venus & clouds, etc. - this would be an excellent time! Here's why:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/japans-akatsuki-spies-massive-wave-on-venus/

That rather stationary cloud formation many astro-photographer's have spotted with their (expensive) 'Venus-Filters' has ACTUALLY changed!

Wave in Atmosphere - Venus.gif.gif

Enjoy!

Dave

On 15/01/2017 at 16:58, lukebl said:

Hi folks,

This is an attempt a capturing the clouds of Venus, using a Baader U-filter. Admittedly, it's not great, but there are some albedo differences visible.

I have seen much sharper images and I was wondering how others manage to capture the clouds so clearly. The filter is so dark, that even with my sensitive Atik, I could only get 1/20 sec exposures, which isn't sufficient to freeze the seeing. The Atik is fast, and my other cams could barely make it out even with 1/4 sec exposures which makes a blurry mess!

31484888164_a555357ddd.jpg

Well although you say its not great, I have to disagree and say its superb! You image is a more intense representation of what I see through the eyepiece. I think you really ought to be commended for capturing the detail as you have done! Excellent! :thumbsup:

Mike 

Archived