Narrowband

T CrB, a recurrent nova that may give us a surprise any time "soon"

Just a friendly reminder to have a watch at the recurrent nova T CrB, now that we are approaching its season. As discussed last year, T CrB may possibly be approaching the time of its next outburst. See this fine article in Sky & Telescope. T CrB has been increasing its brightness somewhat since 2015, in a manner that is reminiscent from its behavior in 1938, just 8 years before the 1946 outburst. Do not miss the chance to assist to this great show! Get an eye on this star. It is easy to find and, who knows, she may give us a lovely surprise "soon".

I just wrote a commentary on this in my astro blog, if you are interested you may have a look here.

Cheers!

/H.

CrB-T_2007-2017.png

2 hours ago, Cinco Sauces said:

Just a friendly reminder to have a watch at the recurrent nova T CrB, now that we are approaching its season. As discussed last year,

A timely reminder indeed, thanks CS. I was thinking just the other day about what it was doing whilst out of view behind the sun ! ( we have a saying -' great minds think alike ' ! :) )

For those who missed it here is our earlier SGL discussion and reason for excitement :- https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/268934-t-crb-worth-a-watch-and-what-happened-to-r-crb/

and dont forget to look for RCrB, that was mis-behaving as well :thumbsup:

EDIT Oh gosh, even more timely, not just -approaching !! - I just had a look in Stellarium and if I have not blundered somewhere it should already be visible rising in the east in the early morning hours. Please someone tell me if my params in stellarium are right :)

2 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

EDIT Oh gosh, even more timely, not just -approaching !! - I just had a look in Stellarium and if I have not blundered somewhere it should already be visible rising in the east in the early morning hours. Please someone tell me if my params in stellarium are right :)

You are completely right! For my latitude (59.3 N) I have it rising after 2300 and crossing the meridian at 0800, when the Sun is already up too. By 0400 it is about 37 degrees above the horizon in the eastern sky, so it is already place at the early hours of the morning.

Cheers!

Archived