SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Double Cluster and Orion Nebula

Peco4321

Lovely clear sky last night over East Yorkshire before the moon rose. Took advantage early on and got 5 mins of 20 sec exposures of both targets ISO 1600, (edit- ISO 800 for Orion) 150p on tracked eq3-2 canon 1100d at prime focus.

I stacked in DSS and stretched in GIMP and PS express. Orion was better after all this but the Double Cluster did not benefit from stacking. This image is a single 20 sec exposure just stretched a bit. 

Is this normal that some targets are better without any stacking. 

Also so I lost all colour of Orion in DSS so had to introduce it back in which then affects all the other stars.  Am I doin something wrong?

IMG_1497.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

When you say you lost colour in DSS - the stack result will not show any colour until you make changes to it. You adjust the saturation to about 17% or so, make darkness luminance slider 100%, make middle luminance slider about 37% and align and move colour peaks into the curve (about a third of the way in).

Peter

1 minute ago, PeterCPC said:

When you say you lost colour in DSS - the stack result will not show any colour until you make changes to it. You adjust the saturation to about 17% or so, make darkness luminance slider 100%, make middle luminance slider about 37% and align and move colour peaks into the curve (about a third of the way in).

Peter

Thanks will have a go. I guess I can load the saved tiff back into DSS and start again. 

I only use link settings when the RGB all line up (rarely).

I also suggest that you explore the DSS help file - it's right at the bottom of the menu on the left hand side. It may even be off the bottom of your screen so you use the slider next to the menu to get to it. When you do look at the processing menu. I also suggest reducing the green in your image even more.

Peter

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

I like the second one too! Have you got access to Photoshop? You can get hold of the plug in HLVG (Hasta La Vista Green) which coudl help with the slightly green cast over the images. If I remember rightly it is free....which, unfortunately, PS isn't! :-)

Great stuff for 20 second exposures too!

8 minutes ago, Marky1973 said:

Have you got access to Photoshop?

No I just use GIMP. I have PS express on my phone so I do a bit on there as well but obviously with a much smaller jpg file so I'll have lost data on those. 

Very very impressive!  

I had to have a go myself.  I'm quite please with the result.... it's a single shot 30 sec at iso 400.

I really have to get my head around this stacking thing.....i've tried registax but the results are dire.... I loaded 5 or so images at different exposures but it made a mess of it.

I'll try DSS next

Cheers MZ

M42-0601.jpg

Archived