Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope upgrade

I have a cheap national geographic telescope at the moment but has worked well on the moon and Venus but really struggling for anything else. 

My budget is low (hard times) but I'm looking to upgrade to the Skywatcher Explorer 150. Is this going to be much better ? 

I will have to use the same tripod until I can afford to purchase a new one

thanks in advance

I don't know how your Nat Geo performs but I have entered the fray of amateur astronomy with the SW Explorer 150P. With this I have identified the disc of Venus, had a real good explore of the moon and also observed and identified Andromeda and The Orion Nebula.

The scope really works for me. 

Not tried serious photography yet. I have tried and failed by using my crap camera phone against the eyepiece and also my Sony a350 d~SR in the same way. I can't get the right relief to get an image in the viewfinder. 

I haven't got a T ring for the camera but intend to do so in the future.

5 minutes ago, Bribrum said:

That sounds good. 

Mine is great for the moon which looks amazing but it really is low end

have you tried any photography with it

appreciate your feedback

Hi Bribrum,

Friend of mine has the SW 150P and thinks it's an excellent performer. However, he has the full setup including tripod and counterweights. Others may be able to answer but it's possible that your NG tripod may be inadequate.

regards from a very damp Norfolk

Bribrum,

best to cast the natgeo package to the bin men.

if you want to do photography then the mount is the most important bit.

buying a better scope and mounting it on a crappy mount will move you onto another stage of disappointment.

best to save up and start again.

you should read "making every photon count" (book) while you save.

follow this thread. Here is a guy with the 150 looking at the correct range of mount options 

You could try to eek a few more months out of what you have while you save.

Also, do check second hand for a photography setup in your budget range.

Alan

If you would be happy to forget photography for a few years?

get one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

best bang for your buck. Loads of people on here have them, use the search function to get their comments and feedback.

great scope, great mount. 8" will show lots of objects. There is a 6" version for £200 also.

i am afraid that astrophotograpy is a very expensive hobby and if you under spend then you will be disappointed, there are no shortcuts.

I managed to get a SkyWatcher 150P for £50 off Astrobuysell (just for the OTA) and then an AZ4 mount for £75.  £125 all in and the chap who sold me the scope even swung by to pick the mount up for me.

Super scope and I've seen sights that have blown my mind considering my location (built up part of Sheffield so skies not the best).  Sure I'm ready for an upgrade now but I'll still keep that set up as it strikes the balance between portability and poke so to speak.

Can't go wrong with a good Newt :)

Thanks everyone for your valued comments. I really appreciate all feedback

the mrs will kill me but I'm going to purchase the  Skywatcher skyliner 200p dons. 

After reviewing for the majority of my day I'm thinking this is the best product for my expenditure 

Great stuff Bribrum!

Consider also purchasing "turn left at orion" (book) to help you find objects manually & also show what you should expect to see. Objects are ordered by season. Search for reviews on this site. If you've got the scope then you need to find something to look at.

- Amazon may be cheapest for the book and you can get free 5 day saver postage? I can see a used one on Amazon for £12.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundreds-Night-Objects-Telescope/0521153972/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484525922&sr=8-1&keywords=turn+left+at+orion

get the spiral bound, its great to use outside in the dark.

And a cheshire eyepiece for collimation of the scope. Hopefully, won't need doing straight away but you can save some postage if you get it at the same time?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools.html

Alan

Archived