Narrowband

Pareidolia image - The Giraffe Nebula?

Tim

Quite often I will start an image and not get time to finish it before the telescope being used has to move on.

That is the case with this one, which is just 3 test exposures with a small refractor and Atik 11000. Usually the data just sits on my hard drive, going nowhere, but by chance I opened one of the exposures in Pixinsight and hit CTRL+A, and the auto-stretch feature revealed a bit more detail than I expected, so I just stacked the three images with no rejection to see what came out. Originally my intention was to frame a shot of the three main stars in Orion's belt, but the nebulosity and position of the horsehead nebula did not lend itself to a nicely composed picture.

I definitely haven't gone for "pretty" here, but rather, with a drastic stretch of the outlying regions around the Horsehead, the image makes clear the density of the Hydrogen clouds in the area. We also get an idea of the amount of stars that get filtered out by comparing local areas within the image.

Oddly enough, despite a personal propensity for pareidolia, and having imaged this area extensively for quite a while now, and even having a small contribution to this image https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap101005.html , I have never before noticed the looming Giraffe in the background.

I shall look out for it in future though :)

Tim

Hanging-On-Orions-Belt.jpg

Archived