Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AOKswiss Refractors

14 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

John, dont go there, remember the head aches from the 6" F12

Yep, I'm still smarting a bit from that experience :rolleyes2:

I saw an F/15 6" when mine was being delivered. Very, very, very, very long and heavy tube !

11 minutes ago, John said:

Yep, I'm still smarting a bit from that experience :rolleyes2:

I saw an F/15 6" when mine was being delivered. Very, very, very, very long and heavy tube !

I think i will stick with my 120ED, though with weather and man flu i feel a 120 evostar would have done

32 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

I think i will stick with my 120ED, though with weather and man flu i feel a 120 evostar would have done

Well sell it and get a 120 Evostar then Jules :icon_scratch:

It's just a hobby mate :smiley:

14 minutes ago, Dude_with_the_tube said:

oh you bunch of wusses,thats too big,thats too heavy  :D

6" F15 ED mmm very nice,shame i already have a 2mtr tube to haul.Skywatcher Az-EQ6GT handles it with no issues at all.

On what tripod ? - not the standard 2" I assume ?

2 hours ago, John said:

I knew about AOKswiss's excellent alt-azimuth mounts but I didn't know about their refractors. 150mm F/15 with ED glass :shocked:

http://www.aokswiss.ch/index_tel.html

I've not looked at the prices yet but I suspect they might be on the high side !

:eek:

No I did not know about them either,  I hope that the prices and practicalities of setup are completely out of reach to me.

17 minutes ago, John said:

Well sell it and get a 120 Evostar then Jules :icon_scratch:

It's just a hobby mate :smiley:

Sorry John, i think my post was a bit trigger happy and not thought out, just a bit fed up having been waiting for some good clear skies with nice moon, then it turns up along with a man flu that had me of work for the first time in 8 years, i am always moaning about the weather but now keeping a diary to back this up, any way i have hi jacked your thread, my apologies

19 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Sorry John, i think my post was a bit trigger happy and not thought out, just a bit fed up having been waiting for some good clear skies with nice moon, then it turns up along with a man flu that had me of work for the first time in 8 years, i am always moaning about the weather but now keeping a diary to back this up, any way i have hi jacked your thread, my apologies

No problem Jules - hope you are feeling better soon :smiley:

You are not a Rain God by any chance, are you ? :wink:

7 minutes ago, John said:

No problem Jules - hope you are feeling better soon :smiley:

You are not a Rain God by any chance, are you ? :wink:

No not a rain god, its just this wonderful place i now live at, when i was in huddersfield i had much clearer skies (but more light pollution and less horizons) but things will improve, the moons not going any where  :smiley:

20 minutes ago, Dude_with_the_tube said:

yep a standard issue Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 GT,with no modifications.The only thing i did add was an extension to get it to ride higher.

Wow !

Thats impressive. The Meade 178ED OTA weighs quite a bit and is very long. Lots of folks seem to think it overpowers a Losmandy G11 !

Hats off to the AZEQ6 if it can tame one. I was playing with one last night (AZEQ6 that is) and I'd not have thought that it would have that capacity. The C11 that was on it was proving a bit of a handful !

Edit: I've just realized that I'm hijacking my own thread here !

Dude - I'm glad the AZEQ6 does a great job with your big frac on board :thumbright:

Sorry John for hijacking the thread.

Az-EQ6GT in AZ mode can carry up to 25kg.Obviously the length of OTA is a different matter,however,As you know,i did rebuilt the Meade as such i did shave off a few kgs from original weight,but i did made it longer as i doubled the dew shield`s length in comparison to the original so now the whole OTA is close to 2mtr long,but also 2kg lighter.My new total weight is about 14-15kg what is well in capability of AzEQ6 in AZ mode.In EQ mode mount can carry a bit less than that but as i am visual only,i am not using EQ mode.Vibration dampening times are 2sec max if i do touch focuser,but if i only use slow mount slewing speeds when observing,there is no vibrations at all.

I am quite sure this mount is capable to cope with the AOK 6" F15 too,as soon as a long losmandy plate is used and instrument is well balanced.

Just out of interest,in what mode mount was used when you had a play with it with C11 on it?

1 hour ago, Dude_with_the_tube said:

....Just out of interest,in what mode mount was used when you had a play with it with C11 on it?

It was in alt-az mode with a C6 on the other axis. The AZEQ6 might not have been setup that well though but as it wasn't mine I had to take it as I found it.

1 hour ago, Dude_with_the_tube said:

C11+C6 might say it was close to carry capacity limit of the mount as C6 is about 5kg and C11 is well 15kg for just OTA,add other bits and bobs and you might as well be 25kg and over, that would explain why mount was struggling.

But as you know, long tubes create additional issues through the moment arm force that they generate on the mount head / tripod.

eg: a 4" F/15 frac does not weigh much but you really need to overmount it to keep it steady.

I like it! then again I would wouldn't I ;) It's got that classic industrial look about it! If it had a brass dew shield and focuser plus a bit of steam punk to it I'd be on love.

Now I've got a pier extension for my HEQ5 (thanks Derek :) ), I wouldn't mind picking up a 6" Synta/Bresser at some point. I've never scratched that itch. It would be almost worth it just to set up a 6" frac at the front of the house and watch the curtains twitch :grin:

3 hours ago, John said:

If you can pick up a chinese 6" F/8 for a relatively cheap price they are great fun to use I agree :icon_biggrin:

I've been clocking up some extra weekend hours at work, so I'm going to treat myself to one come spring time :) For now I have other plans afoot! All will become clear when I get around to posting a thread begging for advice on it :grin:

14 minutes ago, Starlight 1 said:

I like that f15 just to look at but I can not see the price.

Anfrage (Inquiry) is written where the price should be.  It also states other focal lengths are available on enquiry/special order.  I guess they are expensive ! 

Archived