Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First obsy build (part 2)

rodrigol

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi again ... In addition to the pikkies that I posted earlier showing my observatory I thought that I would send a schematic diagram to show how the roof panels open on my observatory as it might not be all that clear on the photos.

I am attaching a Word Doc. ... the diagram was produced on a CAD program and is copy of the actual plans that I used to make the observatory so the proportions are the same as the finished observatory.

Looking at the diagram the "Blue" links are actually inside the observatory and are designed to do two jobs (1) Guide the top of the triangular panel along the correct path (2) to hit a stop when the panel is fully open and to stop it hitting the ground.

The "Red" links are external and can be easily seen in the photos.

Mike

How my Roof Panels hinge out.doc

Ok. A little more progress to report: The roof has now a rubber seal (HD) all around that ensures, that when closes, it is sealed tight. Catch latches have been added (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143GRLX0) on all 4 walls.

61l8dylPqBL._AC_UL320_SR320,320_.jpg

The most significant thing was making holes for the tripod legs with a circular saw, ensuring the north leg is pointing correctly at 365, so that they are actually standing on the concrete floor. The tripod is very stable now (yes, on day I will go for the pedestal). The rubber floor is one of my 'must' in case I drop stuff in the dark. 

20170121_160948.jpg

The other significant thing was getting 'climate control' in place. The DD122 is in place now with the hose running behind and through the floor and into the flower bed behind the shed. 

20170121_161035.jpg

Very soon, very soon now I will put a telescope on top of the CGEM. Will post how things look at 'home' position, which is going to be 'south' for the mount.

14 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

Obsy build seems to be going great. Waiting for an update. 

I've managed to get my SWED80 on the mount and did a full setup. Polar Master aligned the mount (great stuff the PM) and reconfirmed with Starsense. But now it is cold and I'm having an rcd tripping issue. I will not plug the mount until I find and isolate the problem. 

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress in the last few days: With my eldest son from Norway, we've stained the shed and sorted out small gaps in the roof with with silicone. The dehumidifier works wonders (highly recommended), so I've dispensed with the heater for the time being.

20170207_144859.jpg

I've got a solar ventilator (extractor) cheap on ebay that ensures the temperature stays close to ambient inside.

20170207_144915.jpg

This is the inside at the moment. I did have a go with the moon at first quarter over the weekend. It's a joy not to have to put up with lights from the house or the neighbors as well as being protected from the humid breeze.

20170207_145015.jpg

This is the 'office'. I'm considering putting a thin roof over....This project just goes on forever! But heck! I'm enjoying it :-)

20170207_145031.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress to report: Additional strengthening of the wall's roof brace and closing of the gaps is now done.

20170217_154548.jpg

A couple of experimental improvements:

A wooden bar to brace the swing arms together helps with the stability of the design. 

20170217_154534.jpg

The most important experimental improvement is: A couple of elastic straps attached to the bottom of the swing arms and ground on each side of the obsy and voila: Opening the roof is really easy! I'm looking for a more permanent solution although these work really well. Maybe I don't need the bricks anymore?

20170217_154528.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So things have been moving very slowly since last. The shed is now a different color by demand from the garden manager and permits authority.

20170314_162707.thumb.jpg.0053356b53710ebf55632277b203db8c.jpg

To control the temperature inside better I've installed two vent for approx. £4 as I got the materials for free :-) 

20170314_162754.thumb.jpg.1e490eb9924daa5fd148c96877887d57.jpg

And I've got to do something about the roof. It does get hot in there....

20170314_162801.thumb.jpg.c46843f3d6a2adfa9d013d4c5efdfb03.jpg

and off course, the more I do, the more the weather does not let me do what I want to do. It's been awful for 3 weeks!

20170314_162728.jpg

4 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

Your fat boy looks happy in his new house. :)

was never sure about the 'fatboy'; didn't like the hard tail suspension, preferred the oil damped  Road King

LOL

How is the water proofing bearing up?

Water proofing is holding quite well. The weather lately has throw all sorts of wind, rain, big temperature fluctuations, etc. The issue has been controlling the temperature. It gets hot in there and I needed to find a quick way of dealing with this. So I bought a strong but light 2x3" reflective tarp and stapled it to the sides of the roof. The temperature now is in-line with the outside. It does not look pretty but it works and lets in enough light during the day to see things clearly inside. As soon as I get more time I do more a permanent fix with solar reflective paint.

20170326_153025.thumb.jpg.b981ea6dc521b1fae705759a7117bce5.jpg

Archived