Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OAG/guider options

Hello everyone, Happy New Year to you all

Up until now, I have been happily imaging with my Skywatcher ED 80 Pro. I admit I have made things easier for myself when I upgraded my mount from a G11, to a Paramount MX+ and purchased a QSI 683, with the built in filter wheel and OAG. However, I would like to be able to use my colour Atik 314L+ with my Celestron C8 NGT. Last night, I mounted both scopes, side by side on the MX+, the ED80 still set up with the QSI. It seems that due to the increased focal length of the Newtonian, even the slightest adjustments during guiding manifest themselves as egg shaped stars on the Atik’s sensor.

What are my options for guiding? I used to use a QHY + ST80 scope for guiding on the G11, but I see this as a backward step. Is it possible to guide and image with the Newt and still be able to image with the QSI, without issues/egg-shaped stars? Or do I need to use a separate mount, if I want totally error free imaging, with both camera/scope set ups?

I have explored the option of an OAG, I know Atik have one available, but reviews seem to suggest that focusing and placement of the prism to be less than straight forward and require dismantling of the image train to make adjustments. In addition to this, will I require additional tubes/extensions to be able to bring the guide camera to par with the main camera’s focus? Will the QHY5 be man enough for the job? Or should I consider a more sensitive guide sensor ( I use a Lodestar X2 with the QSI)?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

Clear Skies,
Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I use the Atik OAG and 314L+ on my 10"SCT without any problems, setting the prism height is a one off thing that doesn't take long.

I now use a Loadstar camera, originally had an Orion SSAG, same as QHY5 which had a trouble finding stars.

Don't know if you're scope has enough focuser travel to accommodate an OAG.

Dave

Hi Dave, I think an SCT is more forgiving, with focus distance, but I am using a low profile Moonlite focuser on a Celestron Newt and it seems I am only mm away from achieveing focus with the Atik OAG, associated adaptor and Baader MPCC. I intend to aquire the RCCI Baader unit, which has a longer back focus (91.5mm) and is allegedly developed for this scenario.

Paul

7 hours ago, appyaardvark said:

Hi Dave, I think an SCT is more forgiving, with focus distance, but I am using a low profile Moonlite focuser on a Celestron Newt and it seems I am only mm away from achieveing focus with the Atik OAG, associated adaptor and Baader MPCC. I intend to aquire the RCCI Baader unit, which has a longer back focus (91.5mm) and is allegedly developed for this scenario.

Paul

You can always move the mirror LOL

Dave

Archived