Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

orion25

Venus & Neptune Conjunction 2017

Don't you just love it when planets get together and put on a show? I must admit, it was quite a challenge imaging these two in the same telescopic view at first. I tried my little space cams but Venus was just too bright;"little" Neptune didn't have a chance, lol. So, I decided to first take a wide-field view of the area with my Nikon camera piggybacked to my Mak 127, and then a prime focus shot. Here's the wide-field shot, a single 20s exposure at f/5.6:

large.58793e067a2d3_ASTRONOMY-VENUSNEPTUNE(WIDECAPTION)1-12-17.jpg

and here is the prime focus shot, a quick 5 second exposure to keep Venus from being too bright:

large.58793e58c7360_ASTRONOMY-VENUSNEPTUNE(ZOOMCAPTION)1-12-17.jpg

Enjoy!

Reggie  :icescream:

Edited by orion25
problem with uploading images
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I can't see the pics.

Sorry about that, Moonshane. There was a problem with uploading the images. You should be able to see them now :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

Nice work Reggie. Well done mate! :) 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Nice work Reggie. Well done mate! :) 

Thanks, Gus. I missed out on the Mars/Neptune conjunction recently, so I was stoked to capture this one!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Very nice images.

Thanks, laudropb. I always appreciate your support!

20 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Nice

here's my dodgy sketch :icon_biggrin:

venus neptune conjunction 20170113.jpg

Nice sketch, Moonshane. The two just barely fit in a telescopic view!

Well done Reggie. Those are very good captures. I only got to see Neptune visually a couple of nights ago.

Well done again on great images

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Well done Reggie. Those are very good captures. I only got to see Neptune visually a couple of nights ago.

Well done again on great images

Thanks, Ian. I live for moments like this. I missed the Mars/Neptune conjunction on Dec. 31 because of cloud.

3 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

Nicely done Reggie, I had a quick myself on Friday night.

Thanks, Pete. Mars and Uranus are going to have a close encounter near the end of February; I'm looking forward to that one!

Cheers,

Reggie

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Partha Sinha
      I snapped a few photographs of the Venus on 28th evening and surprisingly noticed a circular rainbow like pattern around the Venus. 
      I'm attaching  a photo of the Venus and the moon together and another of the Venus with its blown up image as an inset. 
      The Venus appears too small in the photo with the Moon appearing on the left side but, this pattern can still be observed when the image is blown up.
      I had snapped such photos of Venus earlier and have also done so on the next day but, none of those showed this peculiar/accidental feature.
      Could any of you please inspect the photos and let me know weather it's really a rainbow around the Venus or not.

• By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      yesterday evening after doing the sketch of the three-day old moon, we had a wonderful twilight scene with Venus and the Moon over here.
      So I did a pastel sketch how I recalled it afterwards:

Clear skies!
      Achim
    • By ShrewView
      With the extra time I have at the moment, and the weather being so good, I’ve been catching up on a few jobs I’ve been meaning to do. One of these is the re-spotting and recollimation of the mirror on my newt. I found I didn’t have any ring binder re-enforcers but made something similar by hole punching a self-adhesive label and carefully cutting out.

With the collimation done and the sun setting I was keen to see whether my time had been well spent. I think it was November when I last had a proper evening of astro, my efforts earlier this week got hazed out, so I was looking forward to this!

First up was Venus in the early twilight. Using my binoviewers and a couple of filters in combination (a ND0.9 and the baader neodinium) I got some encouragement with some good sharp views. I could almost swear I could see a little detail but I’m sure that was just wishful thinking. I also tried a UHC and O111 filters as I had some, but they didn’t show anything better. In fact, the O111 had the peculiar effect that after a few minutes observing a bright green target, when I came to look up at Venus by eye, it appeared a bright and angry orange colour, like Arcturus on steroids.

After Venus I chose M45 and then the open clusters in Auriga and this was where my earlier work really showed its value. So many pin sharp little stars, far more than I recall when I last viewed these targets. I always feel surprised at how good these targets are though with M37 and 38 the best of them, being a bit more compact.

I also had my new TS80mm frac out to see what I could catch and to compare views of the same targets. All were pleasing, albeit smaller in scale. I was also glad to be able to spot M65 and 66 in Leo. Obviously not as good as in the bigger newt which will show the triplet of galaxies in the same field. Still, I’m happy to know I can pick those up in my local skies with this little scope. It bodes well for darker sky trips in future.

I followed up with some globs and ended with M13 in Hercules. Always a favourite, but by now a thin film of ice was settling on the scopes and my chair so it was time to call it a night.

I’ve been really cheerful today as a result of getting some scope time in, which just shows the value of a good hobby in times like these.

Thanks for reading.

• By JBR1194
      Hello
      I recently purchased a new celestron telescope and set it up last night to use for the first time. I live in UK, around 8/9pm-ish I took my telescope outside to view Venus in the western sky as it was v bright, perfect opportunity.
      After finding Venus and increasing the focus I realised that there was something like a large black circle in the centre of the bright blue/white ring of light. Before focussing, it appeared to be just v bright light. 
      I am wondering if anyone can explain to me why this black circle appeared on / in front of Venus.  I thought it looked like a moon, which is obviously incorrect but it looked that way. Is it possibly sulphuric clouds of Venus absorbing light? 
      Any information/help is much appreciated
      happy observing, all!
    • By BinocularSky
      The latest edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. As well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:
      * Asteroid occultation of a bright star
      * Neptune appulse with bright star
      * Vesta getting easier
      * Three Mira stars near maximum
      This should be enough to keep you gainfully occupied with your binoculars or small telescope. To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab, where you can subscribe (also free, of course) to have it emailed each month, and get archived copies. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.