Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads up - H beta filter offer

1 hour ago, Paul73 said:

Good luck. I bought his Lumicon Hb this time last year! I guess that the ES one was also unsuccessful in Rvealling the elusive HH.

Paul

Hi Paul, in the right circumstances, the lumicon H-beta will do a good job at revealing the HH, good luck if this is on your agenda.

2 hours ago, scarp15 said:

.... in the right circumstances.....

Those are the key words. The reason I've let the H-Beta filter go (again !) is because I just don't think my observing site is dark enough to take advantage of it's capabilities.

If and when I start observing from a darker site, I'll probably get another one. Meanwhile, someone else can have a go :smiley:

If you are presented with an opportunity John to observe for the Horse Head once more, perhaps there will be a member in your astro society who would lend you a H-beta filter and particularly if members organise meets at a dark(er) sky location.

When you do see the Horse Head, it feels as though you have been given a key, it becomes easier next time. It would subsequently be possible under very good transparency to observe with averted vision with conviction from your good quality sky at home. 

4 hours ago, scarp15 said:

If you are presented with an opportunity John to observe for the Horse Head once more, perhaps there will be a member in your astro society who would lend you a H-beta filter and particularly if members organise meets at a dark(er) sky location.

When you do see the Horse Head, it feels as though you have been given a key, it becomes easier next time. It would subsequently be possible under very good transparency to observe with averted vision with conviction from your good quality sky at home. 

Thats a good plan. Originally I thought that having access to my society observatory would give me darker skies but it turns out that the skies in my back garden are better than at the observatory !

We are looking for a darker site though so I hope to get involved with testing prospective locations to see how dark the skies are :smiley:

To be fair to the ES H-Beta filter (Gus will be pleased to hear this) it did show me more than the Lumicon H-Beta that I had before did and on a wider range of objects as well.

There are many people that observe under far worse skies than mine so I can live with them not being quite dark enough for one of the toughest deep sky challenges :smiley:

On 14 January 2017 at 15:32, John said:

To be fair to the ES H-Beta filter (Gus will be pleased to hear this) it did show me more than the Lumicon H-Beta that I had before did and on a wider range of objects as well

Glad that I bought that Lumicon Hb off you now..... Still no horsey. ???

Only joking. The Lumicon works fine but seems to need a bigger scope to make it fly (kills too much in my 10" but shows things nicely in my 16" - just not the HH).

I look forwards to reading Gus' thoughts.

Paul

It was in my dads 16" and my 22". Haven't had a chance to compare them properly side by side in both scopes. I did a switch in my 22" and I felt the Lumicon edged it, but to be fair it's a 2" filter. The HH is my nemesis, I've seen it once in the 16" and on a good night the 22" can always show it, not with the full moon though :) at £39 the ES is a very good buy compared to the Lumicon.,

Archived