Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing Jupiter in twilight/daylight.

Morning. Just coming in from a half hour session with Jupiter. It is now 7.50p a.m.Using an Explore Scientific 127mm triplet. Eyepieces used were both Explore Scientific 4.7mm and 6.7mm.  The atmosphere appeared crisp and clear. All four moons were clearly visible. One to the left of Jupiter and three stacked to the right hand side.

I could see the two main cloud bands with others coming in and out of view. The Great Red Spot was visible. It was not the best views I've had I must say. But what are your opinions on observing planets in twilight or daylight conditions? Is the contrast much reduced compared to observing against a black sky? Is this why the cloud bands were not as sharply defined as other times observing Jupiter?

Observing in twilight can give excellent results as the glare from the planet is reduced. As it gets brighter the contrast is obviously reduced so it's always a balance. Seeing conditions obviously have a big impact; in theory early morning should be a good time to observe because everything has cooled down but high altitude conditions may still be bad.

Over the years I have had some fantastic views of Jupiter. All with different equipment setup combinations. Sometimes it appears that you are lucky. No rhyme nor reason. One thing that cloud sweeper mentioned about the number of cloud bands that are visible in any particular session. I have come to learn that the two equatorial bands are mostly visible and even in good seeing the others seem to fade in and out of clear view. This is my own experience. Even at times when spikes from the equatorial bands were visible, I was not always conscious of seeing many of the other bands.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Over the years I have had some fantastic views of Jupiter. All with different equipment setup combinations. Sometimes it appears that you are lucky. No rhyme nor reason. One thing that cloud sweeper mentioned about the number of cloud bands that are visible in any particular session. I have come to learn that the two equatorial bands are mostly visible and even in good seeing the others seem to fade in and out of clear view. This is my own experience. Even at times when spikes from the equatorial bands were visible, I was not always conscious of seeing many of the other bands.

When the seeing is good, I frequently see a fair amount of additional detail in terms of other bands, plus festoons etc. This has largely been in my Tak 4" which regularly gives excellent and very stable and sharp images.

Seeing recently has pretty poor so that will have an impact.

I guess that observing Jupiter will become more inviting closer to it's opposition nearer April. I am hoping that it might be higher in the sky.

Archived