Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus and Neptune Observed, 1/2 degree apart this evening.

paulastro

I went out at 5.40pm and  there was a big clear area around Venus, I set up with my 127mm Mak on the Porta Mount by 5.45pm.  With a 32mm Plossl I could immediately see Neptune in the predicted place once I had Venus in the field, also obvious by it’s blue-green colour and that there was nothing in the vicinity to confuse it with of a suitable magnitude.

Lovely to see the two planets in the same field of view.

I was pleased as I wasn’t sure how it would show up with a slightly hazy sky and with the lovely dazzling disk of Venus in the same field.  Excellent!! 

I watched it until 6.25pm when a large cloud came over Venus and snow flakes started to cascade gently down over the telescope.  I packed in and looked out a few minutes later to see a thin layer of snow over the garden.  About an hour later it was completely clear for a while with the bright moonlight reflecting brightly off the snow.  Everything looked really beautiful.

Good report Paul :icon_biggrin:

It was a nice event to observe and I managed to get lucky here with fairly heavy cloud thinning enough to enable Venus and Neptune to be seen in the same field at 150x.

There are a few reports on observations of this conjunction towards the end of this thread as well:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/285209-anyone-observing-the-conjunction/

11 hours ago, John said:

Good report Paul :icon_biggrin:

It was a nice event to observe and I managed to get lucky here with fairly heavy cloud thinning enough to enable Venus and Neptune to be seen in the same field at 150x.

There are a few reports on observations of this conjunction towards the end of this thread as well:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/285209-anyone-observing-the-conjunction/

Many thanks John, I'm glad you managed to observe it yourself.  Also, thanks for the link, some interesting stuff on there.  Regards, Paul

12 hours ago, paulastro said:
I went out at 5.40pm and  there was a big clear area around Venus, I set up with my 127mm Mak on the Porta Mount by 5.45pm.  With a 32mm Plossl I could immediately see Neptune in the predicted place once I had Venus in the field, also obvious by it’s blue-green colour and that there was nothing in the vicinity to confuse it with of a suitable magnitude.

Lovely to see the two planets in the same field of view.

I was pleased as I wasn’t sure how it would show up with a slightly hazy sky and with the lovely dazzling disk of Venus in the same field.  Excellent!! 

I watched it until 6.25pm when a large cloud came over Venus and snow flakes started to cascade gently down over the telescope.  I packed in and looked out a few minutes later to see a thin layer of snow over the garden.  About an hour later it was completely clear for a while with the bright moonlight reflecting brightly off the snow.  Everything looked really beautiful.

Wonderful report. You have a way with words! I was fortunate enough to image the pair last eve; I'll be posting, soon!   Regards, Reggie 

12 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Nice report Paul, glad you got a view, another one missed for me thanks to clouds. No snow yet though.

Many thanks John.    We had some heavy snow overnight.  I got stuck in the snow taking my daughter to the railway station this morning and I had to leave the car.  I've been and collected it now though :icon_biggrin:.

9 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Thank you, Paul - an excellent report indeed! I could (and do) see this image clearly in my mind's eye.

Well done. Do write again for any other cosmic beauties you bag -

Dave

Many thanks for your kind comments Dave.  I'll certainly post anything else that may be of interest - if I'm as lucky to get a clear patch to view it.  Yorkshire isn't know for it's clear skies so any opportunity has to be taken! :grin:.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Nice one Paul, sound like a lovely event to view.

No chance here, heavy cloud and snow plus pretty windy too!

Many thanks Stu, it's good to hear from you.  I'm sorry the weather wasn't kinder for you.  Best regards, Paul

2 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Nice report Paul. I had clear skies in Hereford so I was able to view the conjunction. No snow as yet.

Thanks Mark.  I'm pleased you had some clear skies in Hereford, a nice part of the county.  I live in Worcestershire for many years and am down there fairly frequently.

1 hour ago, laudropb said:

Nice report Paul. I managed a quick view between the clouds. Certainly was worth the effort.

Thanks laudropb, good to hear from you.  It almost seems better when you have to work harder to see something in-between clouds doesn't it.   Well done for persisting.

21 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Wonderful report. You have a way with words! I was fortunate enough to image the pair last eve; I'll be posting, soon!   Regards, Reggie 

• Many thanks for your comments Reggie, I'll look forward to reading your post and seeing your image(s).  Thanks again.

I am encouraged by your observation Paul.I did not know that both were in the same area. I also like that you added the inclement conditions of snow coming in.

Reminds me of my scope getting iced up recently.

10 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:

I am encouraged by your observation Paul.I did not know that both were in the same area. I also like that you added the inclement conditions of snow coming in.

Reminds me of my scope getting iced up recently.

Many thanks for your comments.  Yes, snow and ice here at the moment - but nice and clear.  Rain by the early hours and then back to wet, windy and cloudy for a few days by the look of it.

15 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Great stuff Paul! :thumbsup:

Many thanks Mike.

I thought you liked to remain anonymous, so I was a bit surprised to see that you are now using a photo of yourself and your good lady wife as your profile picture.  :laughing4:

Archived