Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

sgp autofocus and guiding

iwols

hi just had a quick go at autofocus with sgp and electronic motor focusing,but the star disappeared before it could finish autofocus setup,just wondered if people set guiding first or is there some settings that need altering in sgp to speed up focusing,how long  does it usually take when focus is just about set before using autofocus setup...thanks

4 minutes ago, iwols said:

hi just had a quick go at autofocus with sgp and electronic motor focusing,but the star disappeared before it could finish autofocus setup,just wondered if people set guiding first or is there some settings that need altering in sgp to speed up focusing,how long  does it usually take when focus is just about set before using autofocus setup...thanks

When auto focus is running it turn guiding off . if I have good focus to start with then 2 or3 mins,

To answer your other question - for my LRGB filters I use 5 sec exposures at binx2.  I have a 9 step routine.  It takes a couple of minutes to run.  This is a guess - I've never timed it.  SGP measures the HFR of a whole bunch of stars in the frame, not just one star.  Nevertheless, I suppose you want to be using the same star field (or as near as you can).  If this is changing significantly over the length of the focus run, perhaps your polar alignment needs tweaking.

I think you've answered your own question.  If you are not polar aligned then AF will probably not work.  I would have autoguiding on during focus runs with your set up.  The option to switch it off is there for folks who are using an OAG.

Archived