SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How heavy/awkward is the 150p dob to carry???

3 hours ago, Sarahm78 said:

@Floater thank you, I won't be rushing too much as I need to save a few more pennies :-) but would like to be 100% on which one instead of umming and arring,  definitely like the sound of the dob but still not sure if one that tracks would be good like this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-supatrak-auto.html 

Hi Sarah,

i think this one should stay on your list.

1. It's got an AZ mount, good for visual

2. I like your idea of tracking helping you keep the object centered while you swap places with your son.

3. The sacrifice is dropping from 150mm to 130mm aperture. It could be a price worth paying. I would not come down from 200 to 130 but the 200mm is off the list.

here's a couple of threads on this scope

https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/7382-new-telescope-sky-watcher-explorer-any-opinions/

seems you may need to factor in a power pack if you go for this scope. Scopes can act funny when running on AA batteries as the voltage can be inconsistent.

Alan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bare in mind that not all tracking mounts will work without power and the handset which means you can't just grab the telescope and use your hands to move it.

Some mounts can in the Skywatcher range and these have a feature called freedom find.

15 hours ago, Sarahm78 said:

The only store I have near by is green witch which is over an hours drive

The drive will save any costly mistakes if choosing a scope is becoming a difficulty!

Leave the purse at home, just take a look a good look, handle some of the equipment, ask questions, size everything up.

If you do see something you could always go back after further studying that item on the internet, and/or with a few more questions here, to make sure your 100%, or just  buy the unit and bring it home, who leaves their purse at home anyway?

10 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

Hi Sarah,

i think this one should stay on your list.

1. It's got an AZ mount, good for visual

2. I like your idea of tracking helping you keep the object centered while you swap places with your son.

3. The sacrifice is dropping from 150mm to 130mm aperture. It could be a price worth paying. I would not come down from 200 to 130 but the 200mm is off the list.

here's a couple of threads on this scope

https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/7382-new-telescope-sky-watcher-explorer-any-opinions/

seems you may need to factor in a power pack if you go for this scope. Scopes can act funny when running on AA batteries as the voltage can be inconsistent.

Alan

After reading the post on east Midlands page, @happy-kat was right, this won't move manually from side to side, so I think that is now out of the question as I would like to do some of the work myself if I wanted!!!!! 

It's probably a good idea to decide first if you want a tracking mount or a manual one. A manual one gives you the freedom to find things for yourself but you have to turn a knob or nudge a scope to do the tracking. At the same time an electronic tracking mount keeps the object in the eyepiece without having to do anything, which is very convenient - especially if you also have "goto" enabling it to find objects at the press of a button.

Personally I like goto and tracking on smaller scopes and imaging rigs - but prefer to nudge on larger scopes like a big dob. One thing I will suggest is that a manual scope encourages you to do a lot of reading and learning to find out what objects are available and where they are in the sky. This is all valuable knowledge that certainly helps a lot once you do eventually go for an automated system.

It's really down to personal choice but I would always recommend a manual scope for a newbie's first scope - just cos it helps you learn and understand astronomy more meaningfully, rather than just flick around looking at pretty stuff in the sky automatically which can eventually get boring. Hth :)

@brantuk yes I totally understand and I don't really want a go to scope as I want to find objects myself and learn about the sky, the tracking only came into consideration so if I find an object and can let the scope track while I get my son and also so he won't lose it whilst looking through the scope

Ok so I have now established that the 150 dob is moveable without too much hard work, so this is definetly at the top but I would like to be able to compare it to a tripod mount. Now most people seem to suggest an alt-az over an eq (I am guessing this is also heavier having to have weights) but I am either being really dumb or looking in the wrong place but I can't seem to find a scope with an aperture of 130/150 on an alt-az mount????

The 130/150 are longer tubes. The cheaper alt/az mounts (including the tracking and goto ones) tend to support shorter tube lengths better due to clearance from the top of the mount which can restrict elevation. So you tend to find short Sct's and Maks on them. Alt/az mounts for the longer tubes tend to be more substantial like the Skytee2 and Altair Sabre etc. But of course they are dearer too.....

56 minutes ago, Sarahm78 said:

Ok thanks, so for me to get a scope with an aperture of 130/150 (which I would like) I am going to have to get a dob or an eq? Are eq mounts that bad for a beginner? 

I would say "yes" (but thats only my opinion). You will have three trips into the house to get it all outside.

Setup time is at least twice as long.

Eyepiece can end up anywhere.

On another note, FLO are posting up customer return offers https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/197-flo-clearance-offers/

one of the scopes left on your list may come up - keep an eye on it...

1 hour ago, Sarahm78 said:

Ok so I have now established that the 150 dob is moveable without too much hard work, so this is definetly at the top but I would like to be able to compare it to a tripod mount. Now most people seem to suggest an alt-az over an eq (I am guessing this is also heavier having to have weights) but I am either being really dumb or looking in the wrong place but I can't seem to find a scope with an aperture of 130/150 on an alt-az mount????

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150p.html

its got "freedomfind" too

you could buy them separately:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/skywatcher-az3-alt-az-mount.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ota.html

(works out cheaper than the 150P on an EQ3-2; you would have to check the weight of the OTA and the load capacity of the mount though)

I started with an EQ5 - it got quite tiresome setting it up every time, and required 3 trips - when I switched over to the 200 DOB, I could manage everything from the car to my observing spot in a single trip. Don't know about the EQ3-2, but with the EQ5 you could force it into Alt-Az mode, which I did and had a much more pleasant experience with (despite still having to set it all up)

I think you may actually be ok with something like this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130.html

It isn't a heavy mount like the EQ5, the weights are not 10kq worth, so you can probably move it in one go. You'll never get accurate polar alignment with this, so as long as it is pointing north and your altitude is set correctly, you'll get reasonable tracking with the slow-mo controls. You'll still find yourself having to twist the tube in some positions. 

It's only 25/30 mins up the M60 from stockport to heaton park ;) if you can make it up there on a thursday night, there are a good variety of scopes that people will let you have a look at, and will be happy to talk about.

This is the fully manaul 150p on a AltAz 4 tripod.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-az4-mount.html

Weight is very subjetive. I don't have a 150p or the 200p as they are too big and too heavy for me plus I can't store them. Be realistic about the size and weight of objects you are happy to move.

Doing a google

The AltAz4 weighs 8.1 kilos

The 150p f5 weighs 4.9 kilos

A 150p dobsonian the base is approx 12 kilos and the OTA approx 7 kilos

2 hours ago, Sarahm78 said:

Ok thanks, so for me to get a scope with an aperture of 130/150 (which I would like) I am going to have to get a dob or an eq? Are eq mounts that bad for a beginner?

I find EQ mounts very easy to set up in basic configuration once you know what you're doing - it can be a 5-10 mins job. Dobs of this aperture are easier still cos once assembled they're ready to go - so maybe less than 5 mins - the difference really is negligible when a session lasts over 2 hours. The EQ just needs pointing North and the elevation raised to your latitude - the dob doesn't.

For yourself the important thing is going to be ease of use for your lad. I think he'll get on better at the window twiddling knobs than nudging, what to him will be, a big tube. With an EQ mount you can always add a tracking motor later on with ease - not so straight forward nor as cheap with a Dob. :)

1 hour ago, rockystar said:

I think you may actually be ok with something like this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130.html

It isn't a heavy mount like the EQ5, the weights are not 10kq worth, so you can probably move it in one go. You'll never get accurate polar alignment with this, so as long as it is pointing north and your altitude is set correctly, you'll get reasonable tracking with the slow-mo controls. You'll still find yourself having to twist the tube in some positions. 

It's only 25/30 mins up the M60 from stockport to heaton park ;) if you can make it up there on a thursday night, there are a good variety of scopes that people will let you have a look at, and will be happy to talk about.

Ok thanks, will have a better look at that link, unfortunately buying them separately will cost a bit too much unfortunately Thursday's are a bit manic as my son has football practice, but seen there is one at William Hulme grammar school, which might be do able ?

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

This is the fully manaul 150p on a AltAz 4 tripod.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-az4-mount.html

Weight is very subjetive. I don't have a 150p or the 200p as they are too big and too heavy for me plus I can't store them. Be realistic about the size and weight of objects you are happy to move.

Doing a google

The AltAz4 weighs 8.1 kilos

The 150p f5 weighs 4.9 kilos

A 150p dobsonian the base is approx 12 kilos and the OTA approx 7 kilos

Thanks but that one is over budget, thanks for info about weights 

26 minutes ago, brantuk said:

I find EQ mounts very easy to set up in basic configuration once you know what you're doing - it can be a 5-10 mins job. Dobs of this aperture are easier still cos once assembled they're ready to go - so maybe less than 5 mins - the difference really is negligible when a session lasts over 2 hours. The EQ just needs pointing North and the elevation raised to your latitude - the dob doesn't.

For yourself the important thing is going to be ease of use for your lad. I think he'll get on better at the window twiddling knobs than nudging, what to him will be, a big tube. With an EQ mount you can always add a tracking motor later on with ease - not so straight forward nor as cheap with a Dob. :)

Ok great thanks, nice to know I don't need to rule out eq mounts completely, least then when I eventually view some scopes either at a store or club I can see if a dob or tripod will suit me better, like the idea of being able to add a motor if I wanted 

You still seem undecided - I'd suggest you look at getting a Sky-watcher 130p Newtonian or the Celestron equivalent. This is a cheap but quite capable telescope that should serve you well for some time before you run out of things to view with it, and versions of it have had good reviews. You should be able to find these bundled with either a Eq-2 or an AZ-3 mount.  (The latter combination might be harder to find). To be frank, both mounts are rather cheap and nasty, but with not much cash invested in the mount you can always chuck it and get a better mount later. The 130p will go on these mounts: a Nexstar Goto,  Sky-watcher Synscan GoTo, or the new goto & push mount as sold with the Star Discovery 150p, or a EQ3-2 mount with RA drive, or a AZ-4. The last is a simple but very solid alt-azimuth mount of good quality.  

If you got a 130P Heritage that would also be capable of being re-mounted later.

All these better mounts cost from around £150 to several hundred pounds without a scope but that's a fact of astronomical life. Of course they are cheaper if found second hand or as clearance/return stock. 

Many of us here have several scopes, often the result of upgrades or changes of plan. That's why we often suggest that newbies start with a smallish general-purpose scope.

29 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

You still seem undecided - I'd suggest you look at getting a Sky-watcher 130p Newtonian or the Celestron equivalent. This is a cheap but quite capable telescope that should serve you well for some time before you run out of things to view with it, and versions of it have had good reviews. You should be able to find these bundled with either a Eq-2 or an AZ-3 mount.  (The latter combination might be harder to find). To be frank, both mounts are rather cheap and nasty, but with not much cash invested in the mount you can always chuck it and get a better mount later. The 130p will go on these mounts: a Nexstar Goto,  Sky-watcher Synscan GoTo, or the new goto & push mount as sold with the Star Discovery 150p, or a EQ3-2 mount with RA drive, or a AZ-4. The last is a simple but very solid alt-azimuth mount of good quality.  

If you got a 130P Heritage that would also be capable of being re-mounted later.

All these better mounts cost from around £150 to several hundred pounds without a scope but that's a fact of astronomical life. Of course they are cheaper if found second hand or as clearance/return stock. 

Many of us here have several scopes, often the result of upgrades or changes of plan. That's why we often suggest that newbies start with a smallish general-purpose scope.

Thank you,  the skywatcher Explorer was one of my first choices lol, will have to go back to my original post to see what put me off it lol, so overall the scope is OK to be able to view planets? Again I like the idea of being to upgrade without having to buy a whole new set 

2 hours ago, brantuk said:

I agree with this re EQ mounts, however I eventually got fed up having to keep twisting the tube to get the EP in a viewable position hence the new scope.

9 hours ago, Sarahm78 said:

Are eq mounts that bad for a beginner? 

Not necessarily! There is more to comprehend and understand  when setting up an EQ  system over a simple ALT/AZ  system,  but  like anything else,  it could/should  become second nature , once mastered ?
My first scope  had the basic GEM (German Equatorial Mount)  EQ system, but I spent more time fiddling with the adjusters and having to rotate the telescope tube, every time I changed to view another target in order to keep the eyepiece in a suitable position? I can comprehend and understand the reasons  for this, but  their totally unnecessary and a wast of my time, when the Alt/Az system does a much better job in a  much shorter period of time. I doubt I would ever go back or need to go back to an EQ system for visual use only.

If I were to start astrophotography then an EQ system could be  essential to me,  but only for tracking purposes . 

Archived