Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How heavy/awkward is the 150p dob to carry???

Hi there I am still toying between the heritage and the 150 dob. How easy is the 150 to carry downstairs as I am thinking of storing it in my sons room, so he can look through it at bed time and then I would like to be able to bring it down stairs to use outside. I understand it is easy enough to seperate the tube from the base but will this become a bit of a faff to do all the time? Also a bit of a random one but is it possible to fix some locking furniture wheels on to the base so I could wheel it around? Last question (lol) what is the diameter of the base? 

Thank you

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 150P dob is very light and easy to move around - especially in two bits which makes it a bit easier on stairs - and it reassembles with ease - no flaff at all really 1-2 mins max. Yes you can fit wheels to it but it really won't be necessary. It will however be difficult to point out of a window - which isn't ideal anyway. Maybe a tripod would be better for your lad. Here's the dimensions:

Dimensions (approx)
Tube
Height 45" / 115cm
Width 8" / 20cm

Base
Height 30" / 76cm
Width 19" / 48cm

Overall (as pictured)
Height 50" / 128cm
Width 19" / 48cm

Hth :)

5 minutes ago, brantuk said:

The 150P dob is very light and easy to move around - especially in two bits which makes it a bit easier on stairs - and it reassembles with ease - no flaff at all really 1-2 mins max. Yes you can fit wheels to it but it really won't be necessary. It will however be difficult to point out of a window - which isn't ideal anyway. Maybe a tripod would be better for your lad. Here's the dimensions:

Dimensions (approx)
Tube
Height 45" / 115cm
Width 8" / 20cm

Base
Height 30" / 76cm
Width 19" / 48cm

Overall (as pictured)
Height 50" / 128cm
Width 19" / 48cm

Hth :)

Thank you

i know it's not ideal looking through the window but for my son (and his age) as long as he can see something he will be happy, he won't understand that it isn't the best lol hence wanting to take it outside for me :)

i think the reason for not getting a tripod mount is I get more for the money with a dob, not sure how many tripod scopes with 150 are around £200 and I think the dob will take up less floor space

The best telescope is the one that does the job. Just my opinion, but in your situation you want either the tabletop mini-Dob or a small refractor on an alt-azimuth mount and tripod (you can set the tripod at various heights or fold up the tripod for storage).  Or maybe a 130mm reflector on a tripod. For looking through a window, a larger telescope will be a waste of money.  The only area where the 6" Dob will indisputably give a better view than the smaller scopes is when looking at star clusters and the like from the garden, or when looking at galaxies and suchlike when hauled to a dark-sky site. 

I doubt that you will have a problem with the 150P concerning moving it round, just do it as 2 bits, don't try it as one simply becasue you are trying to control 2 items instead of 1. And those 2 are meant to move with respect to reach other.

The other thing is get one of the clear plastic storage tubs from somewhere and keep all the bits you need it that. Then it is carry bse out, carry OTA out - put OTA on base - go get the tub of bits.

I don't have a dobsonian but am sure that the 150P is not too big as I upset someone at a club once. I commented that his 6 inch dobsonian was a nice useful small size for a scope. The problem was that it was an 8 inch dobsonian :eek:. He was a bit upset that someone thought his scope was a nice small 6 inch. I no longer try to estimate the diameter of a scope any more. Safer.:D

Ok thanks for your replies, least I know the 6" dob wont be to heavy, but now after looking at scopes again (I'm sure I spend most of my time doing this) I am now wondering if this might be better 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/celestron-astromaster-130eq-telescope.html with a motor, least then if I find something interesting it can track whilst I get my son to view it???

i really wish I could make a decision and stick with it lol ?

The 150P would be a lot easier  and quicker to set up, plus affords the larger aperture.
I  pair of binoculars can also provide  quite stunning views of the  night skies, but  will not give away  too much planetary detail, where the  telescope can.  Binoculars at bedtime? ( you don't mention Sons age ) and  Telescope Fridays and Saturday nights, conditions permitting. 
I actually prefer my 8x40 binoculars, but for younger eyes, a pair of 7x50s  will provide great bright results, Binoculars don't need supervision  or assistance, once correctly set up ( Focus left eye - then focus Right eye using  dioptre setting!)
Even with the telescopes your suggesting, don't expect to see anything like the glossy mags show, when it comes to planetary details, even with  my own 200P scope, the planets appear quite small.

The 150 scope stored upright will take no more space than the average kitchen chair would occupy, and fitting wheels may seem like a good idea, but the 150 is not that heavy. Also, pushing a scope around on castors, like  a vacuum, dyson. hoover whatever they are called these days, could upset the optics, as you bundle the scope over any raised surface on a floor,  through doorways, better and safer to carry it, no vibration! 

I have the next size up, 200P,  but would not recommend you carry this down stairs in one piece ( although I could and can ) I just don't! But I can carry it around the garden ok, and its about 27Kgs

19 minutes ago, Charic said:

The 150P would be a lot easier  and quicker to set up, plus affords the larger aperture.
I  pair of binoculars can also provide  quite stunning views of the  night skies, but  will not give away  too much planetary detail, where the  telescope can.  Binoculars at bedtime? ( you don't mention Sons age ) and  Telescope Fridays and Saturday nights, conditions permitting. 
I actually prefer my 8x40 binoculars, but for younger eyes, a pair of 7x50s  will provide great bright results, Binoculars don't need supervision  or assistance, once correctly set up ( Focus left eye - then focus Right eye using  dioptre setting!)
Even with the telescopes your suggesting, don't expect to see anything like the glossy mags show, when it comes to planetary details, even with  my own 200P scope, the planets appear quite small.

The 150 scope stored upright will take no more space than the average kitchen chair would occupy, and fitting wheels may seem like a good idea, but the 150 is not that heavy. Also, pushing a scope around on castors, like  a vacuum, dyson. hoover whatever they are called these days, could upset the optics, as you bundle the scope over any raised surface on a floor,  through doorways, better and safer to carry it, no vibration! 

I have the next size up, 200P,  but would not recommend you carry this down stairs in one piece ( although I could and can ) I just don't! But I can carry it around the garden ok, and its about 27Kgs

Hi 

My son is just about to turn 5, I posted last week sometime about finding the ideal telescope as santa bought my son a 60mm and we managed to see the moon and it's craters and my son loved that, I returned the scope because I wanted something better :-) 

I don't think binoculars would work as I think he is too young to find things hence the telescope, I can find the object and then he can look through and view it.

Ok no to wheels, it was something I thought about when I should have been sleeping but instead I was thinking about scopes!!!! 

Thank you 

Hi, Sarah. I have the 150P and can confirm it is not that heavy - but it can be awkward to move both parts together. This would be even worse going up and down stairs. I don't have to navigate stairs and still prefer to move it in two parts.

As has been written above, viewing through a window is not ideal (as you know already) but the Dob is not well suited to that anyhow - although I don't know what your window is like, of course. And, as I read it you are going to be up and down stairs quite a lot so it could end being a case of 'why bother'? That wouldn't be good. Also, I'm guessing your youngster will be asleep by the time you come back in with the scope and you won't want to rumble about shifting the scope back into his room.

As for wheels, that can be done easily and there is a lot of 'how-to' info on the Web.

I would hesitate to recommend another scope because I don't know your house and situation. Those mentioned above are all in the running. However, I would emphasise that you should research quite extensively before buying - you don't want it gathering dust. I would suggest that you almost need to see, touch and feel the scope and be comfortable that it will suit you and your environment. Any clubs you can visit or retail outlets?

Sorry if I haven't helped you very  much. ?? 

p.s. Having just seen Charic's post, the wheels do have their limitations!

1 hour ago, Sarahm78 said:

Ok thanks for your replies, least I know the 6" dob wont be to heavy, but now after looking at scopes again (I'm sure I spend most of my time doing this) I am now wondering if this might be better 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/celestron-astromaster-130eq-telescope.html with a motor, least then if I find something interesting it can track whilst I get my son to view it???

i really wish I could make a decision and stick with it lol ?

Sarah,

I would think twice before getting an "EQ" mount. They have more pieces (to carry) and the eyepiece can finish up anywhere.

Your thinking on the Dobs makes sense.

The starter scope with motors is the skywatcher 150p star discovery on AZ4 (AZ mounts are made for visual, EQ are made for photography)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150p.html

It is a price jump from where you were before though...

** RELAX **

Youre getting there!

Alan

7 minutes ago, Sarahm78 said:

I should have been sleeping but instead I was thinking about scopes!!!! 

That's the start of the fever, and now your wanting bigger better, you have - may have already contracted aperture fever?

Its nothing serious, and does not need a Doctors intervention, but keep asking, that's why were here.

38 minutes ago, Floater said:

Hi, Sarah. I have the 150P and can confirm it is not that heavy - but it can be awkward to move both parts together. This would be even worse going up and down stairs. I don't have to navigate stairs and still prefer to move it in two parts.

As has been written above, viewing through a window is not ideal (as you know already) but the Dob is not well suited to that anyhow - although I don't know what your window is like, of course. And, as I read it you are going to be up and down stairs quite a lot so it could end being a case of 'why bother'? That wouldn't be good. Also, I'm guessing your youngster will be asleep by the time you come back in with the scope and you won't want to rumble about shifting the scope back into his room.

As for wheels, that can be done easily and there is a lot of 'how-to' info on the Web.

I would hesitate to recommend another scope because I don't know your house and situation. Those mentioned above are all in the running. However, I would emphasise that you should research quite extensively before buying - you don't want it gathering dust. I would suggest that you almost need to see, touch and feel the scope and be comfortable that it will suit you and your environment. Any clubs you can visit or retail outlets?

Sorry if I haven't helped you very  much. ?? 

p.s. Having just seen Charic's post, the wheels do have their limitations!

Yes I suppose thinking about it the dob wouldn't be suited to look through a window, the heritage though could be on something level with a window, yes my son will be asleep but that wouldn't matter as he is a deep sleeper so wouldn't get disturbed!! ?

The only store I have near by is green witch which is over an hours drive or jessops and London eye exchange in Manchester.

34 minutes ago, Charic said:

That's the start of the fever, and now your wanting bigger better, you have - may have already contracted aperture fever?

Its nothing serious, and does not need a Doctors intervention, but keep asking, that's why were here.

Thank you for the diagnosis and I am glad it's nothing serious ?

33 minutes ago, Floater said:

Oh, and if your son is just five years old it will be a challenge for him to get to the eyepiece of the 150 Dob on most occasions.

Ok thanks, he maybe only 5 but he is near the same height as a 6 year old, and I would get a chair for him if needed ?

37 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

Sarah,

I would think twice before getting an "EQ" mount. They have more pieces (to carry) and the eyepiece can finish up anywhere.

Your thinking on the Dobs makes sense.

The starter scope with motors is the skywatcher 150p star discovery on AZ4 (AZ mounts are made for visual, EQ are made for photography)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150p.html

It is a price jump from where you were before though...

** RELAX **

Youre getting there!

Alan

Ok thank you, unfortunately that is a bit over my budget and not really looking for a go to one as I would like to find things myself but was maybe thinking of one that tracked as it might have been easier and I could only find the heritage virtuoso and that one on an eq mount!

I have a plastic step (from Ikea) that my kids ( who are 4 & 6) stand on when looking through mine, this works most of the time, otherwise they can sit on my knee. If it's clear, I can get the telescope outside at about 5/5:30, it's an easy set up with a dob, and they can have their coats & shoes on and looking through it in 5 minutes. I don't worry about dark adaption and allowing it cool, as - like you say - they will only be after looking at the brightest, spectacular things anyway, and they are generally more forgiving. Half an hour before bedtime is normally enough for them, and when he's in bed, your scope is nice and cool out side and ready for you to get some fainter stuff.

I agree about the binoculars - I think they are a great starter for an adult (or older child), but will be too heavy for a young child; and as I found out the other week, with my 10 year old nephew, the thing you can't do is point and say look at that, you need to direct them to the target.

Maybe a silly question, but is this scope for you or your son? If it's for your son, then you may be better off with a smaller desktop dob, like a 114 Heritage. If it's really for you, with the intent on getting your son interested, that I would say, try and persist with the 150, keep it near the back door (if possible) and plonk it out just before bed time, for him to have a quick view, and you to have a proper session.

Where in Cheshire are you? There are a couple of Astro clubs that I know about in/near Cheshire - may be a bit short notice (and too far for you) but Heaton Park astro are having a telescope workshop session this evening.

16 minutes ago, rockystar said:

I have a plastic step (from Ikea) that my kids ( who are 4 & 6) stand on when looking through mine, this works most of the time, otherwise they can sit on my knee. If it's clear, I can get the telescope outside at about 5/5:30, it's an easy set up with a dob, and they can have their coats & shoes on and looking through it in 5 minutes. I don't worry about dark adaption and allowing it cool, as - like you say - they will only be after looking at the brightest, spectacular things anyway, and they are generally more forgiving. Half an hour before bedtime is normally enough for them, and when he's in bed, your scope is nice and cool out side and ready for you to get some fainter stuff.

I agree about the binoculars - I think they are a great starter for an adult (or older child), but will be too heavy for a young child; and as I found out the other week, with my 10 year old nephew, the thing you can't do is point and say look at that, you need to direct them to the target.

Maybe a silly question, but is this scope for you or your son? If it's for your son, then you may be better off with a smaller desktop dob, like a 114 Heritage. If it's really for you, with the intent on getting your son interested, that I would say, try and persist with the 150, keep it near the back door (if possible) and plonk it out just before bed time, for him to have a quick view, and you to have a proper session.

Where in Cheshire are you? There are a couple of Astro clubs that I know about in/near Cheshire - may be a bit short notice (and too far for you) but Heaton Park astro are having a telescope workshop session this evening.

Thank you,  originally it was just for my son with me helping guiding, but after looking through his 60mm (which got returned)  which was my first experience of a scope, I was clearly fascinated and that was just viewing the moon!! So I think now it is more for me and a good introduction now for my son. Yes we have one of those steps :-) 

I am in Stockport, I know there is one in Altrincham but nothing "down the road" lol 

All good stuff from rockystar, Sarah. Keep going and take your time. There's no reason to rush - despite your obvious enthusiasm ? - and worth trying to make sure you're happy with your purchase.

Keep asking questions ... and happy hunting!

2 hours ago, rockystar said:

Thank you,  originally it was just for my son with me helping guiding, but after looking through his 60mm (which got returned)  which was my first experience of a scope, I was clearly fascinated and that was just viewing the moon!! So I think now it is more for me and a good introduction now for my son. Yes we have one of those steps :-) 

I am in Stockport, I know there is one in Altrincham but nothing "down the road" lol 

@Floater thank you, I won't be rushing too much as I need to save a few more pennies :-) but would like to be 100% on which one instead of umming and arring,  definitely like the sound of the dob but still not sure if one that tracks would be good like this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-supatrak-auto.html 

8 hours ago, Sarahm78 said:

...  I get more for the money with a dob ...

... but some of your money's now going on the tracking!  Pros and cons for everything.

As long as you're enjoying the weighing up process (sorry for the pun) and not letting it become a head worm. ??

Not quite sure about enjoying the weighing up process as I'm terrible at making decisions and this is even harder as it's something I know nothing about and unsure what will work best for us but then as I don't have anything thing to compare too I can't go too wrong (I hope) lol 

" definitely like the sound of the dob but still not sure if one that tracks would be good "

If you go for tracking then you'll need to know the difference between "equatorial" and "alt/az" tracking, and appraise yourself of the different rates - sidereal, lunar, solar, etc,.... Don't forget electronics cost money and you may have to compromise aperture for tracking or save more towards the set up. But as the chaps say above - the stars aren't going anywhere so it's worth taking the time to research - you'll save in the long run. :)

48 minutes ago, Sarahm78 said:

@Floater thank you, I won't be rushing too much as I need to save a few more pennies :-) but would like to be 100% on which one instead of umming and arring,  definitely like the sound of the dob but still not sure if one that tracks would be good like this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-supatrak-auto.html 

This appears to be the same as a GoTo model but without the GoTo software.  One might as well pay a little more and get the GoTo version. There are lots of other packages around bundling the popular 130mm Newtonian with various mounts.

Archived