sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

The QHYCCD PoleMaster polar alignment system is generating a lot of interest and it certainly seems to work very well indeed. The process is very simple and following the on-screen prompts makes it quite easy to achieve a very good polar alignment but the instruction manual does come in for a lot of criticism. Sooooooo ....... I''m sure you can guess what's coming .......

My own version of the Polemaster manual - enjoy!

PoleMaster User Manual English UK Northern Hemisphere.pdf

• Like 10
3 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

The QHYCCD PoleMaster polar alignment system is generating a lot of interest and it certainly seems to work very well indeed. The process is very simple and following the on-screen prompts makes it quite easy to achieve a very good polar alignment but the instruction manual does come in for a lot of criticism. Sooooooo ....... I''m sure you can guess what's coming .......

My own version of the Polemaster manual - enjoy!

PoleMaster User Manual English UK Northern Hemisphere.pdf

Nice Steve - handy little gizmo - I use for setting up first time then run the various models I need to.  Speeds the process up considerably.

1 typo I spotted on scanning doc magbfied in there.  

Paddy

28 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

1 typo I spotted on scanning doc magbfied in there.  

Thanks, Patrick - that will teach me not to get my proof reader to check my work! I didn't trouble her with this one as it wasn't 'commercial' but I should have done. With that in mind, there may be other typos too!

3 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

You should let QHY know that you have done this - they may want to use it.

I suspect that they would be offended if I suggested such a thing but I have sent a copy (complete with typo!) to the company that I bought it from in case they wanted to use it but as it hasn't been posted on their website, I thought I'd put it on here.

2 hours ago, Singlin said:

In the manufacturers instructions in the q and a section it states that the mount should be tracking in RA when aligning.

Is this correct?

So much depends on how quickly you can do the final critical alignment as, albeit only a small amount as it is so close to the NCP, Polaris will continue to rotate around the NCP all the time you are doing the alignment but I am not sure how significant this offset will be.

I do keep my mount tracking during the alignment process and with the Mesu, there is a GOTCHA! to be aware of - if you move the mount in RA using the supplied handset while it is still Parked, it will move just fine but the mount will lose its understanding of the Park position!!! This doesn't happen if you use the virtual handset as that should only respond when the mount is un-parked although I haven't put the latter to the test. I can confirm the former though :BangHead:

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Just experienced myfirst time with the PoleMaster, a bit confused with the Company's Manual and 'older videos' as there are slight differences compared to latest software. Glad I came across your Version, Steve, as it is much more practiical. Surprised QHYCCD don't take it up. Any thoughts on a Revision?

My suggestion would be to include the 'Tools' tab options explanation...I still can't get my head round the 'Manual Trace' Option and how it is 'seen' on the Display. There is a need to convert Lat / Long. to Decimal in 'Atmospheric Refraction' and converting Sea level (?) pressure reading from 1013.25 mbar to kPa (just divide by 10). Some might say why bother at our Latitude in the UK (mine is approx. 52 Deg) but why not...... it may apply correction of a few arc seconds( and the PA Spec is sub 30 arc seconds)?

Keith