SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone observing the conjunction?

Even down here in Essex 100% cloud cover predicted all night, but then why should it break the habit of the last month!  I'd just like it to clear enough to go and see something in the night sky!

I bet I'd have had enough equipment here to have seen Neptune too

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

At 1,125mm focul length with your 150mm Skywatcher reflector and using a stock 10mm 50 degree APOV plossl you should still get both planets in the same EP view as below. If your EP gives a wider AFOV then they will fit in even more in your EP view. 

IMG_0310.PNG

If that's as close as they get I really wonder 'what's the big deal'... Perhaps someone could explain the point I'm missing. Don't want to sound ungrateful etc. ;-)

9 minutes ago, Aikidoamigo said:

If that's as close as they get I really wonder 'what's the big deal'... Perhaps someone could explain the point I'm missing. Don't want to sound ungrateful etc. ;-)

Has Neptune been in conjunction with anyone else lately? The event is rare tho. It's also the first time I saw Neptune. 

31 minutes ago, Aikidoamigo said:

The circle that surrounds the 2 planets in that view is only a little larger than the diameter of the full Moon. It's a pretty small patch of sky.

With many of the "sights" that we get excited about it's as much about understanding a little about what we are observing as the impact of the visuals alone. A tiny pinpick of light takes on a whole new fascination and significance once you know that it's sunlight glinting off a tiny ice and rock moon orbiting the most distant gas giant for example.

Nothing patchy about the cloud here at the moment - it's thick and rain is coming from it ! :rolleyes2:

Blizzard here too - Just South of Maldon, Essex.  Currently heaving it down. 

How close do the planets need to be before it is called a 'conjunction'?  I always assumed that they needed to appear to overlap.

10 minutes ago, JOC said:

Blizzard here too - Just South of Maldon, Essex.  Currently heaving it down. 

How close do the planets need to be before it is called a 'conjunction'?  I always assumed that they needed to appear to overlap.

Closest angular approach I believe - because they lie on different planes they won't overlap, but Venus is approaching from the west and will pass to the east tomorrow night. The actual conjunction I think is 1am tonight or thereabouts.

That's my understanding.

Still thickish clouds here but Venus looks rather lovely shining boldly though the "cloud filter". I may have had the odd glimpse of Neptune but getting a mag 7 object through that lot of murk is a challenge to say the least :rolleyes2:

Worth the effort for the Venus views anyway :icon_biggrin:

Rather squelchy lawn though - I'm going to have to give the tripod tips a really good clean later !

Yay !, the clouds thinned slightly and there was Neptune :icon_biggrin:

With Venus and an 8th mag star they form a sort of scalene triangle with Neptune at one end of the longest side and Venus at the other end. They all fit in the FoV with the 6mm Ethos at 150x as predicted. Neptune shows a really tiny disk but un-star like and distinctly pale blue.

Venus is showing contrast variations across the cloud tops and the "cloud filter" (Earth clouds) has removed much of the atmospheric diffraction.

I'm glad I made the effort :thumbright:

Archived