SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Realistically what can I achieve

mattd85

1 hour ago, mattd85 said:

Thanks again for the advice guys, really do appreciate it.

I wish I could afford bigger and faster scopes but as is the same with most people...I'm skint haha!

So I see it as I have two options.

1. Stick with the etx 90. Use the scope as my lens and have the 6D on the back, try and counter weight the front to stop it tilting backwards and see how I go with the above mentioned software aids.

2. Sell the etx90. Buy the Skywatcher dslr mount and use this with my 6D and 70-200 2.8 L or my 50mm 1.8. 

Option two seems like the easiest approach but leaves me without a scope for viewing planets. 

Right now, I would really like to photograph andromeda and Orion Nebula , also the milkyway.

If you was in my position what would you all do?

thanks

Matt

I'd stick with the ETX 90.   It's a great grab and go scope. With goto as well.  Then save up for a scope for astro photos.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your suggestion @cjdawson - I think the issue with this scope for the imaging I want is the set aperture of f/13. After researching shots taken using the skywatcher and various lens, most are shot at faster apertures like 2.8/f4. 

I've just seen some great shots here http://philhart.com/content/star-adventurer-review

I'm actually surprised at the price , I may be able to save for a few months and buy it anyway without selling my etx90.

Thanks

Matt

Just now, mattd85 said:

Thanks for your suggestion @cjdawson - I think the issue with this scope for the imaging I want is the set aperture of f/13. After researching shots taken using the skywatcher and various lens, most are shot at faster apertures like 2.8/f4. 

I've just seen some great shots here http://philhart.com/content/star-adventurer-review

I'm actually surprised at the price , I may be able to save for a few months and buy it anyway without selling my etx90.

Thanks

Matt

Very true, but it can do lunar and some planetary.

4 hours ago, mattd85 said:

If you was in my position what would you all do?

thanks

Matt

Could you hold on to the ext90 for now, and venture forth into a better arrangement? (Having both for a bit)

Then decide what to sell off after you decide/achieve where you hope to go with the photography?

My conclusion was that I could use a photographic quality telescope for observing, but trying to use a viewing quality telescope for photography might be an exercise in frustration. So I went the route of the best glass I felt I could go for.

Now I wish for a better camera, but do fine with what I have. So I'm working on what I can change to make better. (Mostly my human error factor) :tongue::wink:

Haha...at some point I too was in this position. I had to modify my telescope.

I had no idea about astrographs and ended up buying an 8inch dob. No small eq mounts can take the weight of this scope. A heavy one would cost me a bomb of about 2000 to 3000$ plus shipping. So i just decided to build a mount and it does a good job at tracking . You can image with the etx90 too. Just that you will get shorter exposures. Hopefully at some point we can blow up cash on expensive equipment..???

I was reading up on all these flats and darks etc last night, also didn't even click about the condensation issues of long exposures outside in the winter, so I was pricing up the dew heaters. I thought photography in general was an expensive hobby but this is also going to cost me some money hahaha!

install stellarium and enter your scope specs, then click on target and choose scope view (button with square with hole/circle, top right)

make sure no lens or eyepiece is selected, but your scope is

it'll give you a fair idea of what you potentialy can see ...not including light pollution or accounting for exposure time, of course

15 hours ago, happy-kat said:

You could have a go with what you have on a static tripod have a look at this video. Still need to learn all about processing taking lights, flats, bais and stacking in DSS and then processing the image.

link here

I had started of with the same video...haha... Forest Tanaka explains everything really clearly.?

Archived