Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from Cornwall

Arbennek

Hi SGL

Long time lurker, I've decided to take the plunge and join the party.

Current owner of some 'budget' 10x50 binoculars which have served me more than adequately, with the intention of acquiring a dob, once I can make some space to keep it that is!

I look forward to firing off plenty of daft questions.

Clear skies, James

Hello and welcome to the non lurking side of SGL James.
As with many things in forums, you get outwhat you put in, so the saying hello is a major step.

Those 10x50's were a good starting point; 
those sometimes clear Cornwall skies can be stunning, depends where you are as Cornwall is a big place.

11 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Those 10x50's were a good starting point; 
those sometimes clear Cornwall skies can be stunning, depends where you are as Cornwall is a big place.

They're not the best skies in Cornwall, I live in the middle of a village and 3 miles or so from a decent sized town so there is a bit of light pollution.

But from the back garden much of the milky way is just about naked eye visible and so is M31 if you know what to look for so I can't complain!

Welcome to the SGL.

Budget or expensive, your binoculars should still serve you well at 10x50 magnification.
If your seeing M31 that too is a good sign too! indicative of better conditions?  from my garden M31 looks pathetic, but its there.
From a dark site, no light pollution, M31 fills my 70° eyepiece, so a Dob and a good eyepiece should also serve you well, if you like the simplicity and ease of setup that a Dob brings.
An 8" (200mm) scope like the Sky-Watcher is a good one to look at / start with ( though there are other brands ) and there are larger versions too,  but Sky-Watcher 200P is allegedly the UK's most popular.

Our site sponsor has them, take a look here https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

• 1 month later...

Archived