Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newb inbound

mattd85

Hi all,

I've been meaning to join up since before Christmas but work got in the way. My names Matt, I was suggested this forum may help me by another member who is on a photography forum I'm part of, SwagAstro.

anyway long story short, before Christmas I won a competition with all about space magazine/Facebook page. I won various scopes. The one I kept was the Meade ETX90. I'm completely new to astronomy and astrophotography so I'm keen to learn.

I'm currently living in Bathgate, Scotland, originally I am from Salford, Manchester.

thanks 

matt

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all.

i had a quick play with the scope a few nights back, clear skies but a crescent moon. I'm sure I set the scope up correct but I was left confused looking through the eye pieces.

the goto auto guide was telling me it couldn't go to the moon as it didn't rise until 23:15pm despite it being in the sky.

also when selected things like the andromeda galaxy it would move into position but alls I would see in my eye piece was a few stars, like dots.

am I expecting too much from this scope?

Thanks 

3 hours ago, mattd85 said:

Thanks all.

i had a quick play with the scope a few nights back, clear skies but a crescent moon. I'm sure I set the scope up correct but I was left confused looking through the eye pieces.

the goto auto guide was telling me it couldn't go to the moon as it didn't rise until 23:15pm despite it being in the sky.

also when selected things like the andromeda galaxy it would move into position but alls I would see in my eye piece was a few stars, like dots.

Thanks 

Sounds like an alignment problem to me. GoTo is generally very close. Check your exact location, date, and time, then do the procedure carefully.  Should be fine then!

Doug.

Hell and a warm welcome to the SGL. I do not use a go to mount but it sounds like you have not put the correct info in when setting up. Check your location and date has to go in in the American format. If you still have problems post in the getting started forum and I am sure we will soon get you sorted.

Yep you won't be the first person caught out - it's month/day/year format.(also check your location) I highly recommend a app called synscaninnit. Works out your location, time and all other details and you just copy the info onto your handset. Hth

Popeye.

I set up my first telescope just before Christmas and it has a goto.  I am getting better with the setup.  However, lets just say it is possible to get the stars wrong with the result that it won't align.  Also things like dates and times need to be correct and in the correct formats in these goto units.  Do you have a smartphone?  If so try downloading synscaninit 2 from the play store for android, or whatever Apple uses.  Give it access to your location and this will have all the necessary information in it to set up a goto.  Then download Stellarium to the Mobile from the same locations and make sure you are absolutely on the right stars.  These two things helped me immensely, because I found the goto was only as good as the data you first give it.

Hi everyone,

great advice and responses, I will check out the apps and re input the data again once I get the scope out again, it's currently packed away due to this snow storm we're having in the UK.

Having a read the set up comes with an eq tilt plate which assists for tracking/astrophotography. I'm a long way off even trying anything fancy yet. I ordered the parts to allow me to put my 6D on the back for a shot of the moon the other week but found the camera out weighs the balance of the scope and is too heavy. 

once again thanks for all the responses.

matt

On 11/01/2017 at 04:48, mattd85 said:

Thanks all.

Thanks 

Hi and welcome to SGL, I suspect you will find the answer to many of your questions here, if not there are many fabulous people willing to share there knowledge with you :)

Regards your scope and tracking its also good practice to ensure that the scope is level. The older Meade ETX models used to come with a bubble level that would locate into the eyepiece holder to help you do this, not sure about the newer models though. If you just want to have a quick look at objects like the moon and other easier to find objects you can loosen the clutches off to allow the scope to move by hand once your on the desired object tighten the clutches up. Make sure not to over tighten them though at least on the older models it was easy to overtighten and end up cracking parts on the fork arms and or damage internals. 

Good luck Stu

Archived