Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Adrian Condon

Return of the Perseids evening 11-12 (Monday - Tuesday) August 2008

I went out last night from 9pm till about 11:30 hoping to catch some of the earthgrazers and saw about 5-6. One of them was glittery (reminded me of Tinkerbelle's fairydust :hello2: ) but it was short-lived.. it appeared and died within the boundaries of CAS's "W". The predicted wall of clouds drifted in from the west, so there was no point in setting the clock for the pre-dawn hours. Nice evening, though. :clouds1:

I saw a glittery one too a few nights ago Talitha. Quite slow moving, and going the wrong way for a Perseid (South to North).

Nothing much tonight though. From my back garden the radiant sits squarely behind two big Sequoias. And the clouds are moving in.

Just saw one at 21:49 going from the NNE to SW. Going to sit out for a while, knowing me I will probably wake up at 3.00am with the rain pattering on my face.

Regards

Kevin

Seen 3 tonight.

2 faint +3 mag and one of about 0 mag and yellow :clouds1: shot through Cygnus

Clouding up now :hello2:

I saw maybe 20 between 2250-2325 and 0230-0315 - very nice. Makes a nice change to have clear skies - this is the first big meteor shower we haven't had wall-to-wall cloud!

Trev

The forecast has to be right, this far out, at least once this year :D , just in case its not ill get my coat!! :hello2:

I'll call you a cab :D .

Tony..

Hi

Luckily I didn't need the cab Tony, :clouds1::lol: :lol: managed to see 2 meteors last night :cheers: :cheers:

Jon

Trev,

Great to hear that you saw so many. We had high cloud to the east with gaps, so managed to see a few (4 in 5 minutes) and then the neighbour's security lights came on.... and completely blinded us!

Incidentally, sod's law was in full operation, with clear skies to the south and west of us. Great views of Jupiter and the moon, plus other stars.

Will try again tonight.

Cheers

Adrian

Rained out Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday early hours. Cloud a bit more broken this evening but won't hold my breath.