Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Adrian Condon

Return of the Perseids evening 11-12 (Monday - Tuesday) August 2008

Hi folks,

For those of you with time to burn to tonight should be able to view the Perseids after midnight when the moon sets at 12:20am (BST). There should be three hours of darkness to do the viewing.

The anticipated rate is 30 - 40 meteors per hour.

The meteors should be observable high in the East emanating from the radiant just below Cassiopea's W.

Trust the rain and clouds stay away. Keep a record of what you see, so that we can compare notes later.

Good Luck!

Adrian

The forecast here in Somerset is for wall to wall cloud :hello2: Adrian. So it looks like no Perseids for me.

Hope you get clear skies. :clouds1:

phillc :wave:

You don't have to wait until the 11th to 13th peak you know.

I have been watching big bright Perseids since the end of July and getting from 5 to 10 a night. The shower will keep going well into August.

Mike

Ive seen 3 on the same night. One was a firery orange/red, the other 2 were within a second of each other and about a degree apart. I was Impressed!

I've seen one or two so far. Sadly, the forecast for the peak is looking very bad - wall-to-wall cloud. :hello2: Anyone got a good forecast for their area for the next couple of nights?

Trev

Looks like cambridgeshire should be OK for tomorrow night :hello2: fingers crossed

Now I know who to blame more and more as Tuesday progresses and I get more frustrated at the satelite pictures and forecast ... :hello2:

The forecast has to be right, this far out, at least once this year :clouds1:, just in case its not ill get my coat!! :hello2:

The forecast has to be right, this far out, at least once this year :clouds1:, just in case its not ill get my coat!! :hello2:

I'll call you a cab :lol:.

Tony..

Full of cloud here , and likely to be for a few days

More like weeks, for long range looks bad too. I'm sick to death of this Rubbish weather :hello2:

Clear up here :hello1: seen about a dozen in the last 30mins or so,nothing spectacular yet.

Hi Folks,

It's 01:10am Tuesday, beautiful blanket of cloud over Kings Langley, this is helping to show the light pollution from Watford and London to superb effect!!

No rain....... that coming in the morning.

Does anybody know if Summer is coming or have we already had it?

I will give it another 10 minutes and then go to bed. (can only try tomorrow night)

Cheers

Adrian

PS like the Smiley too.....................

Absolutely nothing in the last 30mins although i might have been lucky enough to catch an Alpha Ursa Majorid,the meteors radiant was from the Dubhe area of Ursa Major and had a path of about 10 deg towards the zenith.

Probably just a sporadic :hello2:

A few little breaks appeared from time to time, no sign of any meteors though. Now its raining this morning, although tonight is looking much better from the forecast.

Here's hoping!

Trev

The weather here in Kings Langley is awful at the moment and BBC weather forecast is heavy rain until Friday.

I am thinking of taking up diving as a wetsiut would be more appropriate than shorts.

The only cheerful thing was that it was clear in Caithness......whisky definitely improves the viewing!!!

I will try again tonight.

Cheers

Adrian

Unfortunately the whisky didn't improve the meteor count Adrian.I stayed up till 3.30 and the meteor rate was 6/hour so the dozen meteors that i saw in the first half hour from 12.30 was the highlight of the night,timed that right.

At least i got a lie in this morning as my place of work is having electrical upgrade work done this morning so its at 12 instead of 8 start,only problem is its an 8pm finish.

i saw 2 before cloudrolled in and that was in about 10 mins observing, maybe 15. bit dissapointed really