Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Return of the Perseids evening 11-12 (Monday - Tuesday) August 2008

Adrian Condon

Hi folks,

For those of you with time to burn to tonight should be able to view the Perseids after midnight when the moon sets at 12:20am (BST). There should be three hours of darkness to do the viewing.

The anticipated rate is 30 - 40 meteors per hour.

The meteors should be observable high in the East emanating from the radiant just below Cassiopea's W.

Trust the rain and clouds stay away. Keep a record of what you see, so that we can compare notes later.

Good Luck!

Adrian

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Folks,

It's 01:10am Tuesday, beautiful blanket of cloud over Kings Langley, this is helping to show the light pollution from Watford and London to superb effect!!

No rain....... that coming in the morning.

Does anybody know if Summer is coming or have we already had it?

I will give it another 10 minutes and then go to bed. (can only try tomorrow night)

Cheers

Adrian

PS like the Smiley too.....................

Absolutely nothing in the last 30mins although i might have been lucky enough to catch an Alpha Ursa Majorid,the meteors radiant was from the Dubhe area of Ursa Major and had a path of about 10 deg towards the zenith.

Probably just a sporadic :hello2:

The weather here in Kings Langley is awful at the moment and BBC weather forecast is heavy rain until Friday.

I am thinking of taking up diving as a wetsiut would be more appropriate than shorts.

The only cheerful thing was that it was clear in Caithness......whisky definitely improves the viewing!!!

I will try again tonight.

Cheers

Adrian

Unfortunately the whisky didn't improve the meteor count Adrian.I stayed up till 3.30 and the meteor rate was 6/hour so the dozen meteors that i saw in the first half hour from 12.30 was the highlight of the night,timed that right.

At least i got a lie in this morning as my place of work is having electrical upgrade work done this morning so its at 12 instead of 8 start,only problem is its an 8pm finish.

Archived